All about Resumes / CV's and Cover Letters for Jobs and Internships

Probably not, in most cases.

But a mention in your cover letter of a significant acheivment in a volunteer postiion or a competition or even in your education that directly relates to the job you want might help ... if you don't have professional experience to list. But it has to illustrate that you have a skill that can be used on the job. Otherwise it might look like "puffing" ... trying to make something out of almost nothing.

So I want to submit an application for an internship which is based around an online magazine aimed at the 13-21 age range. They ask for you to email them examples of your writing. How should I do this? Should I write a sample article? The topics they discuss are about entertainment, health, style etc. Also, how should I attach my resume over email? Send it as an attachment? TIA!

Also, the internship is based in the US, but I am in the UK. Should I include the US equivalent of my grades at high school?

Last edited by a moderator:
i really want to be a business analyst in the fashion industry. does any one know how i can get there?

I there anybody who would help me with my email ?????
My English is not good anymore (Had my last Englisch lesson 4years ago :x )

Dear XXXXX Team,

my name is XXXX and I heard about your project just some weeks ago. I'm really enthusiastic about it because I think its concept is very unique.
I really want to join your mission and introduce our country to the rest of the world!
XXXXX is my native country and I fell very connected with it.

I'm 24 years old and studying Health Communication at the University of XXXXXX in the third semester. I'm interesed in communication, health issue, politics.
I speak Englisch and Albanian.

I'm going to be in XXXX from 01.08.-22.08.12 and I would be really pleased if you would give me the opportunity to get to know your organisation and its work.

Best regards

XXXXXX

I'm tweaking my resume for an internship. I have been working retail since I was 16 so i was wondering it be relevant for me to list those jobs since I don't have any previous internship experience?

I do have listed my skills in draping, sewing, etc, fashion schooling, etc...

i am hoping for some help from you all :-)

I am applying for a buyer's assistant (womenswear) position at the large department store chain at which I work. I am Replenishment Team Leader for the entire apparel department in which I work and have listed that in my 'Relevant Work Experience'. I know my store manager will give me a recommendation, and they also like to hire from within.

There is very relevant knowledge that i have developed (regarding our purchasing data, sales data, markups, REM... basically KPI's relevant to the supply chain etc) over my 4 years in the store, and especially since being made team leader last year. However, it is not actually knowledge that comes under my exact job description. I have just been proactive and asked the Management team many MANY questions over the years haha.

note: i am not claiming to be an expert but i believe i have the level of knowledge required for this entry level position, so i want to include it on my resume to set me apart from other applicants, as this position doesn't actually require buying experience.

but where exactly should i put it on my resume if it is not directly part of my role or daily tasks?

should i have a section (after 'education' and 'relevant work experience') for 'other relevant skills and knowledge'.. or should I include it in my CV? or should I just include it in my current position?

sorry for the long-winded post!

It sounds like it's something that is very important for them to know about you. So yes ... you need to get into your CV somewhere. And its something you should point out in your cover letter, too ... actually talk about being interested in buying, therefor you learned about this during your 4 years, maybe saying that you have gained enough knowledge about this data and how it's used in retail, to make you an excellent candidate for this entry level position.

And recently I read an article in the Wall Street Journal talking about resumes (or CV's) saying that it was better to list you actual accomplishments on the job rather than just listing your assigned responsibilities. For example, if you were assigned to lead a team to get a specific job done, you would explain that you did this better and faster than your goals and give the numbers ... rather than just saying you were assigned to do it. So ... thinking along this line, you could also add what you said here ... that during your years on this job, you took it upon yourself to learn about purchasing date, sales data ... etc. so that you are familiar with how it works and how it's used so that you had a better understanding of the retail buying and sales process ... something like that. And then, ask your store manager to mention that too, in her recommendation ... so that this statement is confirmed by her.

^ thanks BetteT, I think listing accomplishments rather than responsibilities is a good idea.

I am going to show my store manager my cover letter and resume and ask that she confirm that she has witnessed/taught me these things in her letter of recommendation rather than simply stating my responsibilities.

thanks for your opinion! :-)

is it ok to be somewhat pushy when it comes to landing an internship? i applied to one for a company that has been my dream to work for and i submitted a cover letter (which they didn't ask for) and asked a professor to write a letter of recommendation (something they didn't ask for either.) another professor i have might also know someone that works at this company and i don't know whether or not i should ask him to put a good word for me as well. the thing is is that this internship is probably highly competitive and I'm not entirely sure how many interns they are looking for. also i didn't get a lot of information about it, i only knew about it because i called the store to ask and then stopped by to drop off my resume.

That's not being pushy ... that's being prepared to show what you are capable of doiing. If you are compating against other applicants, you want your resume to stand out in a positive way.

I'm sending out a resume/cover letter to a company that had an email address on their website for internships and openings. However, it doesn't say who to address it to. Everything I've read has said it's important to find out the name of the person who will be receiving it.

I don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestion?

It's actually better if you can avoid the "human resources dept." for your initial contact ... but they usually accept and review resumes for all positions, if it's a medium to large size company.

You are correct ... it's best to direct it to someone who actually will be interview the candidates ... in the department where they will be working. HR. takes aps and resumes, and have clerical people review them intitialy, to eliminate candidates, in order to narrow it down for the interviewing person ... so they don't care about personality or anything out of the ordinary, they are just verifying that all "requirements" are met ... way too impersonal. But if someone in authority like what they read and hands it back to HR to process for an interview ... you can be pretty sure you will get the interview.

The fastest way to get names .... if you are nice enough while being very persistent .... is to call the company and ask for the name of the person who heads up the department you are interested in and for their email address ... and their snail mail address. (nowadays, almost everyone submits via email ... and it can get lost in the shuffle or ignored ... so sending it both ways is more likely to get someone to actually read it).

But ... you might also be able to figure it out, by going to their corporate site out of their headquarters. Not the site where they sell stuff. If they are "incorporated" in the U.S. they must have such a site, which names the corporate officers, the location of their headquarters, where they make public announcements regarding their business and their stock. Those sites often have department heads listed too ... along with contact information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->