All about Resumes / CV's and Cover Letters for Jobs and Internships

Cover Letters for Fashion Careers

I just recently graduated and am looking for a job currently. I have been having difficulties writing cover letters and find it very hard since I have no ideas what to write. I know that you should write about the company and why you like them, your experiences...

Although, I have done many internships with good companies, all of them have been about assisting. I have not done anything major there or learnt anything. So, that is my problem. I cannot write about success, when I have not done anything. Help??

Well, I don't know about cover letters for the fashion industry in particular but I think that it is about the same for any kind of job.

Yes, you need to note why their company, in particular is of interest to you and to breifly summarize your experience (the details will be in the resume/CV). But more importantly it must be a positive, enthusiastic letter that says something about you and why you would be a great employee for them. So, whatever you do, don't take this negative attitude when you write it.

Search all of your experiences since you were a young child ... in school (school activities, clubs, organizations, sports, theater, chess club, etc.) ... any internships or jobs you've had (even if they ar not related to fashion) and other outside activities you have been involved in. Surely, something that you've done has prepared you to be a good employee. If nothing else ...are you consistently reliable, able to work with a lot or details, respond to changing demands, think on your feet, be part of a team, find creative solutions to problems, respond well to customer or employer's demands, work well under pressure, have a great telephone presence ... even just a perfect attendance record? Somewhere along the line you must have learned you your strengths in the work place, in organizations and in school. List all your strengths, everything you can think of ... why someone would want to pay you money to work for them ... why they would think that you would be an asset to the company and make the boss look good. If you can come up with a list ... then try to think about which of those characteristics would be of most value in the job you are applying for ... and use several of those, when you talk about your self.

It's also good to put a bit about your long term goals ... what you'd like to be doing in 5 years and why this company is a good match for your goals. Most employers like to see a new grad with well thought out and resonable goals. Don't make it look like you want to suck the company for all they can give you and jump ship ... make it look like you'd love to have a long time career with them that would be beneficial to both parties. They call that a "win/win situation" and it's the best way to approach something ... you both need to benefit.

For starting level jobs, they don't expect you to be an expert in anything in particular ... unless it's a technical job. They mainly want you to be reliable, hard working, resonably intelligent and a pleasant member of the team. They will teach you the rest if you don't have all the skills yet.

Internships are more for learning how to navigate the working world and it's politics and making contacts than for learning how to do any specific job. You learn how to be an employee in the environment you hope someday to work in ... and that is valuable and worthwhile. Hopefully you have learned how to be a good assistant. No matter what job you get, you will always be reporting to a boss and will in effect be his/her assistant ... so being a good one is really important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Volunteer. Ask to shadow someone.

Honestly, I need help building my own resume experiences.... I'm definitely not studying anything related to fashion or pursuing a career in the fashion industry, but I often hear the following advice: you can call up local businesses and ask if they are interested in an intern or volunteer (maybe your college can accept credit?)
Also, I don't know how it works in fashion related study but at my university they encourage us to directly email several different professors after reading up on their research work. (I think this is more applicable to hard sciences than something like fashion but at my school the "fiber/apparel" major also does their own research, so maybe, lol...)
So if you can get in contact with various professionals in the field and express personal interest in their work, they might be able to offer you advice and/or opportunities.

As a future Summer intern, here's what I've learned:

Look for any local fashion contests that you can compete in. Great on your resume and the fact that you are out there exposing yourself lets them know that you are confident in your designs.

I agree, calling professionals and asking if you can volunteer/intern/shadow (I recommend not in the summer, because competiton is FEIRCE), is a great idea.

Make some showstopping garments. You're 15 right? Maybe you can enroll in FIT's or Parsons Summer Programs? That would look great on your resume as well.

Retail exprience is great too.

On how to actually construct a resume, go to vault.com or monstertrak.com.

Also, when compiling your first resume the format will probably be functional and not chronological... That way, your skills/capablities are the focus rather than actual work experience. I actually didn't realize until a few months ago how much easier that made it to create a resume for a high school/college student. (of course, you can still include a brief list of work experience/activities and "interests")

Exactly ... a resume is merely a list of your experience, schooling, interests, hobbies etc. At high school level ... no one expects you to have a string of carefully planned career steps behind you. It's an exploritory time to find out what you want to do with your life. But many "experiences" prepare you for the working world in different ways.

Consider:

* Elective classes you have taken
* What subjects you excell at
* Your special interests ... like fashion, art, music, sports
* Clubs and organizations you have belonged to
* Leadership positions you have had ... in clubs, at school, at church etc.
* Special projects you have taken on ... like organizing or participating in charitable things like a food drive, a social event to raise money, teaching reading, adopt a pet, save the earth ... things like that.
* Jobs (even part time) you have held. Talk about the responsibilities you were given and mantion your work habits ... on time, relieable, quck to learn, responsible, team player or leader, methodical or quick to respond to new requirements ... whatever is your style of working.
* And, yes ... include any volunteer/intern work you have done.

All of this combined is your resume. The trick is to see if you can find out what they are looking for and craft your resume to highlight those assets while still telling the truth.

Help for creating appropriate resume for internship/assistant jobs at magazine?

I just need to know what is most appropriate to include on the resume for jobs as interns or assistant for fashion and/or lifestyle magazines.

Also, what order to place info.

Any tips for this or can anyone send me a copy of their resume as an example?

I am in dire need of help. I will be officially done with school in December with a Bachelors in Art and am on the prowl for job opportunities.

Thank you in advance.

I am planning to start applying for summer 08 internships around February but in the meantime I need to create a CV. I am still a student and still have three years after this one so I don't have tons of work experience to put on it.

Someone earlier in the thread said don't talk about retail experience. I understand why you shouldn't praise yourself for handling a customer or balancing your cash drawer but I don't understand why not mention retail work if that's what you've done? It's pretty much all the work experience I have. For the past 4 years I've worked at Banana Republic, BCBG, and Abercrombie alternatingly (mostly banana, I keep going back to them, it's a disease I think:P ) and I feel like it's shaped me and my work ethic a lot. In all of the places I've taken on a lot of roles from cashiering, handling client appointments (only applicable to BCBG actually), visual merchandising, sales, making trendboards, product knowledge boards, etc. Isn't that relevant?

Just wondering since I need to start putting that info together and polishing it up.

Also, how far back in time should I go describing things? Like is anything I did in high school relevant anymore or not? (I graduated in 2003). I mean like ballet schools/performances, sports achievements, academic achievements, volunteer work, etc.

Another issue that's bothering me about writing this..... Since HS I've switched majors from bio to bio and dance to fashion and then transferred schools and am now an art student but still want to go into fashion. Which is why I still have so much school left since I started out shooting for pre-med and thus have no art background. Do I explain this or leave it very vague and just start with the present?

Also, not to give away personal medical history but since 2004 I've gone on 3 medical leaves of absence from college for problems not discussable on this board. I think the decision to take those LOAs and get treatment was well worth it since I'm now recovered but it makes me self conscious about having gaps of time in my education. How would you handle this if it's brought up? I'm just scared it will look like I've been in school forever and haven't done anything when part of it is do to health problems and part of it was natural finding the right major/school. And now I'm totally on track academically and healthy (and probably know much more about myself than if those situations did not occur) but I feel like I'm 3 years late. Should I just keep it vague and say "time off for personal reasons" or what?

Also, I have been thinking I would like to see some of your CVs (without personal info) like it's been brought up but you could post it in general terms, like not what you specifically wrote but more of an outline perhaps? Like just say "here I wrote about this" and "here I listed my _____ with dates and reference numbers" or whatever so no one will be able to copy if you're worried. I think it would be helpful for some of us if anyone who has a good CV has time to do that just to see the structure and all.

Sorry I have such a long post. I just wanted to discuss this stuff and have feedback from people in the industry. You guys are always so helpful.:flower:

I am planning to start applying for summer 08 internships around February but in the meantime I need to create a CV. I am still a student and still have three years after this one so I don't have tons of work experience to put on it.

Someone earlier in the thread said don't talk about retail experience. I understand why you shouldn't praise yourself for handling a customer or balancing your cash drawer but I don't understand why not mention retail work if that's what you've done? It's pretty much all the work experience I have. For the past 4 years I've worked at Banana Republic, BCBG, and Abercrombie alternatingly (mostly banana, I keep going back to them, it's a disease I think:P ) and I feel like it's shaped me and my work ethic a lot. In all of the places I've taken on a lot of roles from cashiering, handling client appointments (only applicable to BCBG actually), visual merchandising, sales, making trendboards, product knowledge boards, etc. Isn't that relevant?

Just wondering since I need to start putting that info together and polishing it up.

Also, how far back in time should I go describing things? Like is anything I did in high school relevant anymore or not? (I graduated in 2003). I mean like ballet schools/performances, sports achievements, academic achievements, volunteer work, etc.

Another issue that's bothering me about writing this..... Since HS I've switched majors from bio to bio and dance to fashion and then transferred schools and am now an art student but still want to go into fashion. Which is why I still have so much school left since I started out shooting for pre-med and thus have no art background. Do I explain this or leave it very vague and just start with the present?

Also, not to give away personal medical history but since 2004 I've gone on 3 medical leaves of absence from college for problems not discussable on this board. I think the decision to take those LOAs and get treatment was well worth it since I'm now recovered but it makes me self conscious about having gaps of time in my education. How would you handle this if it's brought up? I'm just scared it will look like I've been in school forever and haven't done anything when part of it is do to health problems and part of it was natural finding the right major/school. And now I'm totally on track academically and healthy (and probably know much more about myself than if those situations did not occur) but I feel like I'm 3 years late. Should I just keep it vague and say "time off for personal reasons" or what?

Also, I have been thinking I would like to see some of your CVs (without personal info) like it's been brought up but you could post it in general terms, like not what you specifically wrote but more of an outline perhaps? Like just say "here I wrote about this" and "here I listed my _____ with dates and reference numbers" or whatever so no one will be able to copy if you're worried. I think it would be helpful for some of us if anyone who has a good CV has time to do that just to see the structure and all.

Sorry I have such a long post. I just wanted to discuss this stuff and have feedback from people in the industry. You guys are always so helpful.:flower:

Here we are again.^_^

DO list retail experience. Not listing retail experience is probably the worst advice you can get. Retail is clothing, clothing is fashion. It goes hand in hand.

As far as how far back you should go as far as experience - college. If you are applying for a 2008 summer internship and you're listing high school achievements from '03, it looks a little bad. You are attending college so they want to know what you have done recently.

As far as switching majors, no explanation needed. They won't fault you for that. Same thing with the gaps in your education. A lot of people take breaks during their education. I just finished an internship at high-end design studio and there was a 28 year old intern who is a sophomore at FIT because she took a few breaks during her educational career.

To see some examples of resumes go to:

www.styleportfolios.com. A public site where people (everyone from students still in college to established designers) post their portfolios and resume. By clicking on any designer you get to see their resume.

Also, does the fashion program in your school have an advising program? They can also help you with all your questions.

AND... I forgot to put this in the "Work Placements/Internships" thread but I should have said, if you want to work at a design studio or showroom, Feb. at the earliest. BUT if you want to apply to a formal program- Macy's, Target, Nordstrom, Nike, Saks Fifth Avenue Executive/Mangerial program, and I think Vogue, picks their interns by December.

Thanks a bunch! I have to get ready for work but I will check that site out very soon. I am actually no longer a fashion major since I've transferred schools and my major is now Visual Communication at an art college of my university. I have an appointment with my advisor but it's two weeks away since they have to handle all the scheduling emergencies of new school year people. I have a long list of info I want from her.....
Also, yeah, I'm more interesting in working for a mag than a studio so I'll be looking earlier, november/december like you said.

And good to know about no one will hold it against you for taking longer in school. I know I did what was best for me but I didn't know if employers would see it that way... gotta go get ready!

CV Help Please!

okay..

so i am in need of some help making a new resume

i just moved to London and am looking for an internship

i have some friends in the industry who are helping me get a good one

but i need to send them a CV for them to send out for me!

i haven't made a resume in ages, nevermind a fashion oriented one

i have done some styling work before back home, but nothing too big

and worked in a vintage store

how do i make it look good?

what can i include in it?

do i include my university grades?

does anyone have a template i could use? i would really appreciate it!

i just really have no idea where to start and feel quite low

i just want to get it done soon so i can get my life started again..

thank you for your help!

:blush:

PAPER-
what kind of paper to print a resume on these days...?

is cranes still the gold standard for paper products?

I like Kelly Paper, it's down the street and samples are either free or $0.05-0.10 a sheet. Not bad at all. Give them the sob story about being a student or something.

I think I've discovered my new favorite and useful thread!

What kind of information should a cover letter include? And, does Microsoft Word offer any good resume templates, or would you suggest going about making our own template by freehand?

See post #44 about cover letters. And I'm sure others can add to that ... anyone?

Wherever you're applying to, talk about the company a little bit, what you get out of it (style, appeal, etc) and how it fits with who you are and why you like it. In my cv I schmoozed about the place and made connections to daily life and why it's beneficial to everybody. The companies love it when people appreciate them and give reason as to why they exist in the first place. So yeah, and talk about yourself a little bit. :flower: Why you out of everybody else applying? Don't answer that exactly but I think a brief explanation of the the place's style and how it correlates with your passions and interests would be neat. You can also name a few skills you might want to gain out of your experience for working for them but don't overdo that cos most of that stuff will be in your resume anyway. I'm kind of tired and it's late so I hope this made at least some kind of sense. :lol:

I'm curious, when sending your cv/resume to an editor (whom you have never met) and not hr, what would be the appropriate greeting? Usually I would go with a Mr./Ms/etc but that seems a bit stodgy.

Any input?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreagmanili
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->