Supplies/ Sources for Designers: Fabrics, Textiles, Trimings, Notions, Findings, Etc.

Tism

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making some t-shirts so I was wondering where are the best sources for raw cotton jersey? I love the fabric James Perse uses. I also dig cotton/poly mix for that vintage vibe, though is it harder to dye because of the synthetic fibers? Also what are the best dyes in peoples opinions? I am leaning towards getting cyan, magenta, yellow and black so I can just mix my own colors. Last question why is there no forum dedicated to DIY fashion? I think there should be one set up so those that do make their own clothes can trade ideas, tips, whatever.

Moderator's Note:
Related thread: About Sewing Machines and Sergers for Professional Use

Last edited by a moderator:
depends where you are based and what quantities are you interested in buying tism..
best thing to do -for small quanitites- is to buy ready made t-shirts and dye them
avoid mixes with poly since they will cause trouble in dying, cotton/viscose mixes will be a better idea id you want to dye them yourself.

thank you for the suggestion regading a how-to fashion industry area here at tFS, we are constantly under developement and make sure, this too will come :wink:

in the midtime, welcome to tFS and feel free to post any industry how-to related topics, we'll be glad to assist :flower:

I have some ideas for my own cuts, which is the reason I've decided to do this, so I want to stay away from pre-made t-shirts. I'm located in PA and I'd only want to start off with a small quantity of fabric, like enough to do 5 shirts or so at first. I have a catalog for one place that has different styles of cotton, but just curious in what's out there especially if I can get ahold of the same/similar style to Perse's. Also interested in different ribbing for the collar and definately tips from those who know more.

Tism said:
Also interested in different ribbing for the collar and definately tips from those who know more.

you could do ribbing out of the same fabric as the shirt... i think that looks good... :heart:

trims and collars may be hard to get for such a small quantity, but usually it's the people that provide you with fabric that you buy those accessories from.

the quantity you need is very very small for a cotton jersey order, it may be cheaper to buy 50meters of white and then stock it for further use. to give you an estimate, production quantities for this type of fabrics is never less than 500meters.
another solution could be to visit some manufacturers and buy from their stock if they have any.. be prepared for less than perfect qualities or canceled orders in their stock meters.

sorry but i cant suggest any reliable manufacturers in the US since i'm based in EU,
good luck and keep us updated :wink:

I think it would be great for tfs to have a dedicated forum such as the one for creative team, focused on things like Tism is asking about...but also the other issues like construction, sourcing, design, equipment, textiles etc. I know we've got some talented, resourceful, and accomplished people on tfs ...so we should benefit from each other. Ive gotten some good referrals here to patternmaking, tailoring, design books on tfs. So how about we develop that with a forum, rather than just a thread here and there .

Thanks for the tip there Lena hadn't even thought of that. As to the ribbing I'm interested in finding sources for more retro styles like the multi color stripe steez on jogging jackets. Now is the ribbing usually the same material on typical t-shirts? On most of my tees the ribbing appears to be more grainy as if it was stretched out which I thought would be a different weave of cotton specially made to finish off the neckline and such. I don't know that much about textiles so.. .. ..

Well, if you want to make the trip to NYC, I would suggest going to B&J fabrics or Mood fabrics. Mood has the better prices though. However, they both have a huge selection of cotton jersey and silk jersey.

As for what cotton I'd suggest I would have to say a nice pima cotton or a cotton viscose blend. I've never dyed any fabric before, so I can make any statements in that regard.

you are welcome Tism,
marrimoda, we are working on an industry dedicated subforum,
just be a bit patient it will all come when time is right :flower:

i get my jersey from goldhawd road (just where shepherds bush market is) its the softest and best quality AND cheapest ive ever seen

Lena said:
you are welcome Tism,
marrimoda, we are working on an industry dedicated subforum,
just be a bit patient it will all come when time is right :flower:

Yeahhh...I didnt know it was in development...thats great news.

I might have seen jersey at Stretch World and also Spandex house in NY...loads of knit fabrics there. They are on 38th street, bet 7th and 8th aves.

i also get my jersey locally for convenience reasons but best qualities are from Italy.. bad news that sometimes Italian 'bulk' production standards occasionally doesnt match the sampling meters ones..

obviously this can only mean total catastrophe for a small production indie label, had all my jersey orders canceled because of missmatching in sample/orders jerseys, that was few seasons ago and it was done by a 'famous' italian jersey house i should had prosecuted but i didnt had the time to spend on them

*be aware where you buy your sampling meters guys and make absolutely sure that when the time comes, you will be able to get exactly the same quality/colour/weigth for your production needs.

FYI-
we also have threads in 'personal style' and 'accessories' about making your own jewelry, sewing, and customising clothing...

that's where a lot of people share tips for doing your own stuff...it's predominantly personal projects...but some of the people that participate actually do sell their work and take orders as well...:flower:...

for example...
i just dye a bunch of t shirts over the weekend and will post about it in the customisations thread...

:wink:

I was wondering this too, because I want to make some t-shirt dresses. Is Mood really the best place to go in NYC?

And I agree that a design board would be great.

Lena said:
i also get my jersey locally for convenience reasons but best qualities are from Italy.. bad news that sometimes Italian 'bulk' production standards occasionally doesnt match the sampling meters ones..

obviously this can only mean total catastrophe for a small production indie label, had all my jersey orders canceled because of missmatching in sample/orders jerseys, that was few seasons ago and it was done by a 'famous' italian jersey house i should had prosecuted but i didnt had the time to spend on them

*be aware where you buy your sampling meters guys and make absolutely sure that when the time comes, you will be able to get exactly the same quality/colour/weigth for your production needs.

So the jersey quality in Italy is best, but consistency is a problem...
This would make me verrry angry...so in that situation Lena, is there no right to refuse the order on your/the designer's part? I am hoping its not an either you accept the mistakes or you sue for damages situation.

no, i sent the rolls back and got my money back marrimoda that wasnt a problem .

what really matters is that i had to cancel all my jersey orders and i ruined my relationship/credibility with those new clients ..i almost got into serious depression, imagine..

just be very carefull with suppliers it all changes when time for small orders start (for most manufacturers, anything down from 1000meters is a tiny order, not to be taken seriously.. huge problem for indie/start up designers)

Now for some more questions. I was thinking of leaving some of the edges of the tees unfinished like the sleeves and such. Since I am not very knowledgeable with textiles would I have to cut the cotton in any special way so that they don’t quickly unravel? Like with the bias or straight grain? Also are there certain types of cotton that can handle this better? I was also wondering if there is any Egyptian cotton jersey out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->