Swiss Newspaper Falls for Prankster's Fake Gucci Ad

Faith Akiyama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry if this doesn't belong here (It should, though, right? :unsure: ), but it was simply too hilarious not to share...

guccifakedy7.jpg

Swiss Newspaper Falls for Prankster's Fake Gucci

Some people will do anything to appear in the papers. But few have the audacity of a man in Switzerland, who conned one of the country's biggest media companies into publishing a two-page ad he created of himself posing semi-naked beside a bottle of Gucci perfume.

The man, who claimed to represent the Italian fashion giant, called up the Swiss weekly SonntagsZeitung last week to book the expensive color spread in Sunday's edition, a spokesman for the paper said.

Christoph Zimmer told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the man asked for the 60,000-Swiss-franc (about $50,000) bill to be sent to Gucci.

"We've spoken to Gucci and apologized for the mistake," Zimmer said. "We're going to try and get the money back from this guy, but we don't rate our chances."

The Milan, Italy-based Gucci could not be reached for comment.

Zimmer said the paper fell for the scam because the call arrived too late for the advertising department to check whether it was genuine.

It wasn't the first time that the mysterious model — a dark, handsome man appearing to be in his late 20s — tried to sneak his way into the limelight.

According to the Zurich-based daily Blick, the man attempted to book concert venues by passing himself off as Puerto Rican singer Chayanne. The paper said it narrowly avoided also being conned, but was tipped of the hoax by record company Sony BMG, which represents Chayanne.

The man is under investigation for alleged fraud, said Meinrad Stoecklin, a spokesman for police in the canton (state) of Basel.

News source: editorandpublisher.com
Image source: keithboykin.com

Hmm...If I didnt know better, it looks like a Gucci ad. I can tell it's not though, esp w/ the bottle looking like crap and the models stache

LOL It almost looks real except for that bottle looks to photoshopped but that is hilarious an very good quality

I can see why people would think it's real since it's not that badly photoshopped or anything like that IMO.

(I posted this in the Rumors thread a few minutes ago and I just saw this thread. D'oh, sorry about that!)

^No it's ok! I wasn't sure whether to put it in here or Rumor Has It..., either :lol:

Oh my God! This is so cool! Karma to Faith my dear.

what will piss Gucci off is if some other brands uses him as their actual model for a frgrance ad... waw ka ka ka...

hahaha...the funniest thing is that it happened in Switzerland!!

Very funny!! :D

The things people are willing to do for their 15 minutes of fame. :D

i would have believed it was real if it was for something like phatfarm perfumes. he just doesn't have the gucci look:lol:. anyways, i don't think big fashion houses usually place their perfume campaigns in newspapers, at least in north america. good job for the guy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blissfullychelle
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->