Taking care of your shoes

My freind had one of those racks that hang on the back of your door, and the hook like things you put the shoes on began making dents in the shoes. I definatly wouldn't recommend those.

at the container store...they are shoe boxes that look like tupperwear kinda...fit shoes perfectly.

I put my dust bag from the shoes at the bottom of the plastic box and put my shoes on there with the plastic lid and stack them.

I love this because you can see into the shoes...protects from dust etc and when I go on vaca or something...I just grab the box and put it in my suitcase. It protects it in my suitcase..the box doesn't get smashed.

thanks vintage princess!

I have 2 questions:

Do people agree that you shouldn't do anything to protect patent leather?

Also, I got a lot of salt stains on a pair of suede boots after wearing them through a blizzard, anyone know of any way to get them out? If I can't do it, do you think a cobbler could?

Mundo----I find that with suede....stains and stuff...take a nail file and try to gently file it off.....

This is kind of weird but I did something simialrto what gucci said with a razor, you lightly 'shave' off the stained suede.

I've never done anything to protect patent, I dont think it's nessecary and I'm afraid of chemicals disolving the patent or ruining it.

I simply erase the dirt or whatever off the suede, with a rubber eraser. They have kits out there.

But to make sure i get the most out of my shoes, i return them to their box after every wear

Crakk said:
I simply erase the dirt or whatever off the suede, with a rubber eraser. They have kits out there.

Yeah, I usually use the rubber eraser thing you're talking about for all suede and it takes things off like a charm, but I've tried and tried and tried to use it on the salt stains and those things aren't budging!

As for the nail file idea, thanks so much, will definitely give it a try...but believe it or not, nail files are something I have major phobias of (it's an ick feeling like nails on a chalkboard), so there is not 1 file in my house, I'll go buy one and report if it worked, thanks guys!

For suede I've used the nail file and eraser thing.......plus a good stiff brush to raise the nap again. Really works!!

Any one got a good way of stretching patent slightly without salt staining? I read that people used to pack potato skins tightly into their leather shoes for a day to stretch them. I gather that this made the leather soggy so that the packing inside it stretched it. I can only imagine the horrendous salt staining this would lead to, especially with a pair of patent shoes. They are black patent, so the staining would show up like mad. I don’t want to take them to my cobblers unless they can guarantee they won’t end up staining the shoes, so I need to know how it should be done so that they will do it that way.

On a far better note. Yesterday I totally fixed a pair of very used white leather pumps I have had for about six years. They had become almost a pearl colour, despite constant care. Now, they look like they have never been used (almost!) just using saddle soap and white restorative shoe polish. I was always scared to soap them before, but it totally made them.

When you have a really unusual colour shoe, where do you get the polish/care stuff to get it back to brand new? I have loads of shoes that just do not match anything even their makers can recommend. I have neutral polish, obviously, but I want to feed the colour too if possible.

This is a good thread to ask this question. I generally wear my heels without stockings for usually 8-10 hours at work. Naturally, my feet sweat some and the inside of my shoes get kinda icky. How do y'all deal with this? I'm thinking about trying baby wipes but I don't want something that will leave a soapy residue on the insides of my shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing I thought of was baby powder, and then I remembered those commercials, when they advertise "foot powder", it might be for exactly this reason, I'm not sure...

tremorviolet said:
This is a good thread to ask this question. I generally wear my heels without stockings for usually 8-10 hours at work. Naturally, my feet sweat some and the inside of my shoes get kinda icky. How do y'all deal with this? I'm thinking about trying baby wipes but I don't want something that will leave a soapy residue on the insides of my shoes.

Use saddle soap if you can get it. It generally leaves the leather colour unchanged, but check with a small part of the shoe that you can't see first - I usually pick the lining or under the strap. It will totally clean, and as long as you don't use the whole tin in one go it won't leave a residue either. If you do think it's going to fade the colour, get a polish that is similar in colour to resore it....see my previous begging post.

tremorviolet said:

My shoemaker recommended a product called "dry cleaner" (actually, I will double check on the name tonight), but it's made for cleaning the inside of shoes that you wear barefoot. You just tab some on a dry cloth and wipe down the inside of your shoes. It preserves the leather inside your shoes and cleans it.

ok so it has rained here for 2 complete days and i think i ruined 2 pair of shoes ..... :doh:
not totaly ruined them. but one of the pair has a thin leather and is light-brown ....
i was wearing them as the morning was sunny and the rain not expected at all ..... :(
i put some newspaper paper in it (a grandma' thing, i guess) to kind take off the humidity .... but i don't know if my shoes are ruined or not. i don't want to look at them ....
do you know any REAL GOOD tips to protect shoes from rain ?! or do you have any tips to take care of your shoes once they got all wet from the rain ? i've heard about milk+lemon .... but honestly, i'm not sure at all about this. i mean the lemon could attack the leather, non ? stupid question maybe .... but i don't wanna try, i'm scared ....

the other pair is black and let's say more appropriate to "winter" weather .... so i think it's still ok. but just to prevent .... i would like to know what to do.

my question. can i use a glass cleaner on a patent leather shoe? what do you clean them with if not?

I modified the title of this thread so it's about caring for All shoes not just satin.

my question. can i use a glass cleaner on a patent leather shoe? what do you clean them with if not?

Thanks luckyme :flower:! I think we have about seven other threads on shoe care.
Merge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uppmuntra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->