Tatler September 2019 : Olympia Campbell by Louie Banks

At a time when magazines are hell-bent on self-censoring every impulse that made fashion interesting, Tatler is an outpost of fun and glamour.

Nobody expects that a publication that caters to the truly privileged will waste its time on sackcloth and ashes, and we can all enjoy the invite to the party on the pages.

God, people are truly still writing articles about Anna Delvey taking them to the cleaners? Embarrassing!

Lovely cover. Immediately though of US Vogue, as others seemingly did as well.

Other than a classically pretty cover, it’s a very stuffy, dusty and even sad-looking issue. I’m not getting the excitement you guys are seeing.

The imagery is polite and nice, but ultimately forgettably wispy-thin. A stronger art direction would be the most obvious way to liven up the magazine's dustiness— especially with that horrid type for "Welcome To The Circus". Tim Walker doing this sort of thing is nauseating enough— let alone a copycat version that adds absolutely nothing to the fashion content. Maybe instead of lazily referencing Tim (at the editor’s demand???), they can go a tad further back to the gorgeous circus-themed imagery of a handful of fashion photographers I can think of that would give the story the much needed creative individuality. Have a story to tell, rather than a bunch of cliché shots. And even more unforgivably with this shoot, reminding the reader that the magazine can’t even afford the tiresome Tim Walker and has to settle for copying him, doesn’t inspire me the least.

God knows, Tim Walker cannot even do Tim Walker nowadays. To that end perhaps the copying is better left to the copycats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->