Teen Vogue April 2016 : Grimes by Ben Toms

Reaction score
12797818_1574803342810016_733415280_n.jpg

instagram.com/teenvogue

I love what Teen Vogue is doing lately

Love Grimes, love this cover. I was expecting something over-styled or cutesy when I clicked on this thread, but I was pleasantly surprised. Teen Vogue's reign of well-photographed and well-chosen cover subjects continues.

Lately, I find the Teen Vogue covers fresher, prettier, and more interesting than the main Vogue covers

I'm very close to subscribing to this magazine! Every month is a breath of fresh air!

I might never have liked Grimes with her hollow indie-chick vibe, while silently raking up millions from big record companies then crying about chauvinism, but I like this cover. The illustrations actually helps with the tattoos.

What's Stella McCartney's obsession with the youth all about? Sounds so random because her brand has got nothing to do with them. She once said she catches up on Rihanna once a week or something, just to stay in touch with how young people think. Now that's weird...not Grimes, nor her music.

I want to like it the overall cover, but something's missing. It feels empty. Maybe I'm not just used to seeing a spacious layout for TV.

But I must commend them for the direction they're taking. They went less commercial and focused more on appearing visually appealing. Good job on that. Fourth consecutive cover shot that I like.

What's Stella McCartney's obsession with the youth all about? Sounds so random because her brand has got nothing to do with them.

This is definitely a gentle marketing push. Grimes is a new face of Stella's new fragrance, POP, which seems to be targeted to younger demographics. Obviously, if they can buy the clothes, they can buy the perfume.

^^^
Or if they can't buy the clothes they can get the perfume and aspire to get everything else.

The cover is pretty though.

I might never have liked Grimes with her hollow indie-chick vibe, while silently raking up millions from big record companies then crying about chauvinism
She is actually with a very small indie label called 4AD. I think your misinformation must be about her management being with RocNation. I very much doubt she is "raking up millions". Her records are more critically acclaimed than commercially successful.

She writes, produces, mixes and plays all the instruments on her records. She also illustrates her artwork and directs her music videos. I think the media should celebrate more women like her. Fantastic to see her on a mainstream cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Grimes' music before she was this successful (new songs are way too commercial and made for performing), so whenever someone calls her indie or non-mainstream I'm like yeah sure. :rolleyes: Not surprised to see her on Teen Vogue, the cover is nice, but it's tiresome to see magazines always trying something new with her.

I don't think Grimes has become mainstream or too commercial at all. Both Visions and Art Angels have one or two commercial-friendly songs on them but the albums as a whole are definitely not commercial. I don't really care how the media perceives her work anyway because I know she has been trying to drill the point home that she is making interesting music for herself and isn't pandering to anyone. I can't say the same of any commercial artist out there.

Is it wrong that as an adult woman I really like Teen Vogue whenever I happen upon it in a news agency?

It just seems so much more mature than the teen magazines I grew up with.

I don't think Grimes has become mainstream or too commercial at all. Both Visions and Art Angels have one or two commercial-friendly songs on them but the albums as a whole are definitely not commercial. I don't really care how the media perceives her work anyway because I know she has been trying to drill the point home that she is making interesting music for herself and isn't pandering to anyone. I can't say the same of any commercial artist out there.

Bjork? :rolleyes: Grace Jones? :rolleyes: I can make a list.

Her fans can fight against it all they want, just like metalheads fought against Metallica being mainstream or punks fought for Ramones. But she is mainstream. I'm completely unaware of anything going in the pop-indie-whatever scene and I know her and her work. She plays on the radio all the time, MTV loves her (you can't get more mainstream than MTV) So... yeah. That makes her mainstream. Mainstream, commercial and a millennial fashion icon.

Bjork? :rolleyes: Grace Jones? :rolleyes: I can make a list.

Her fans can fight against it all they want, just like metalheads fought against Metallica being mainstream or punks fought for Ramones. But she is mainstream. I'm completely unaware of anything going in the pop-indie-whatever scene and I know her and her work. She plays on the radio all the time, MTV loves her (you can't get more mainstream than MTV) So... yeah. That makes her mainstream. Mainstream, commercial and a millennial fashion icon.

That's your perception and it's an understandable one. I just disagree based on what Grimes says about her own work. Maybe I'm being misunderstood too- her image may be mainstream to some (not to me but I get it) but I don't think her work is commercial. When I think of commercial music I think of the stars out there who pander to mainstream audiences. That's all.

By the way, the eye rolling isn't necessary. I simply have a different opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiekar
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->