Teen Vogue April 2016 : Grimes by Ben Toms

That's your perception and it's an understandable one. I just disagree based on what Grimes says about her own work. Maybe I'm being misunderstood too- her image may be mainstream to some (not to me but I get it) but I don't think her work is commercial. When I think of commercial music I think of the stars out there who pander to mainstream audiences. That's all.

By the way, the eye rolling isn't necessary. I simply have a different opinion.

My eye rolling was to the "any commercial artist". That is a pretty bold statement (even insulting to many). There are plenty of commercial artists doing "all by themselves" with incredible results. Bjork is probably the most notorious one.

There are various layers of "mainstream" and "commercial". And although Grimes is no Beyonce, she is an international radio played-MTV seen artist. She co-opened for Lana Del Rey with Courtney Love. She plays music festivals as an A-list/B-list name. She has commercial success (again, not as big as Beyonce but bigger than most artists today).

And commercial is not bad. Nor mainstream. And yes, at least she looks different from all those look-alike pop stars.

Obviously we all define "mainstream" and "commercial" in different ways. At this point I wouldn't really call Bjork mainstream. Her albums don't make an impact on the charts, and neither do her singles. Haven't heard a song of hers on the radio... ever. I've never heard one of Grimes' songs on the radio, either. Of course she has some degree of commercial success, she's featured in the pages of some major magazines and is featured on the covers of some less-major ones, she's doing a campaign for Stella McCartney, etc. But probably 1% of the population even knows who she is (if that) and she doesn't appear to modify herself in the pursuit of commercial success.

I don't know... Maybe she is huge in my country, then? Because she is headlining festivals around here, getting all the media attention one could get (along with bands like Radiohead), her songs get to the radio,...

Either way, Teen Vogue sure knows what they are doing. If they got them a cover is because she is relevant enough.

It definitely depends on location, I noticed outside the US (especially in non English-speaking countries), they will play things like Mac Demarco before going on a Audi commercial or as the intro for a politics show lol, I'm not kidding. In the US, I have never heard people like him or Grimes in any of the contemporary music stations, it's only common and suddenly everywhere if you place yourself on the way, not the other way around (as with most pop artists you can't escape no matter how much you try to hide from them lol). Last time I checked, MTV doesn't even play videos, and in "rock stations", it's more like Cake combined with some new-ish things like, I don't know, The Lumineers. There's so much music and so much competition and offer that putting it out there is a much slower process than everywhere else apparently, especially when in a label that's independent. And people like Grimes still mostly just attract people into a certain kind of scene...

That said, I find her pretty annoying. I hear her new album at work all the time... witnessing musicians exploring and evolving is always great but man, don't I wish she had gotten forever stuck in her Sagrad/Skin/Devon days now... precisely because she started to cater a little too hard to larger audiences (didn't she restart her new album from scratch due to criticism?) and her sound reflects that, it's so polluted with "catchy elements", a bit desperate. And so is her image and relationship with fashion... which as an aspiring model, she always had, but seems to be conflicted on playing outsider and then completely diving in without any sense of discernment. I do admit that last part is completely biased, I never got over her acting like "oh wow what is fashion? this is so weird, I'm weird", when, to have joined online communities devoted to it (tfs) and livejournals, she was more than just interested so.. yeah, sure fashion's stupid, but so is pretense.

Also her recent interviews ("everyone stop talking so much about my work!").. hello, Kristen Stewart of music..

It definitely depends on location

It does! I live in Argentina, I´ve never heard her on the radio or seen her music videos, I only know of her because of her association with fashion and tFS. I also lived in Italy for 5 months last year and I used to watch MTV Italia (which does show music videos) and never seen any of her. To me, she´s not mainstream or commercial at all.

It does! I live in Argentina, I´ve never heard her on the radio or seen her music videos, I only know of her because of her association with fashion and tFS. I also lived in Italy for 5 months last year and I used to watch MTV Italia (which does show music videos) and never seen any of her. To me, she´s not mainstream or commercial at all.

I guess some European countries have a different take on music. Just check their biggest music festivals. Three of the biggest music festivals in Portugal this summer will have Iggy Pop, Arcade Fire, The National, Pixies, PJ Harvey and Air headlining. And one of these festivals is *already* sold out. Grimes will play the sold out festival, headlining one of the (two) stages. Big daily journals featured the news of her show like "Grimes to debut in Portugal this Summer!". Maybe that's why so many people travel here for festivals (that and our cheap priced tickets)?

Trust me, I'm quite closed inside my little underground music niche. If I got to know who she is and her music it's not because I looked for it. Ahah. Yet, I have no idea who most of the kids on the cover of Dazed are... :lol:

She is on the cover of Teen Vogue. Isn't that proof enough that she's mainstream?

:rolleyes: Why do people care if she's "mainstream" or not? What a meaningless debate.

She looks pretty on the cover, though!

Well, she also covered Flare Canada, before they went under. Got a one page feature in the current issue of Vanity Fair alongside the likes of Kendall Jenner. And now she's peddling perfume for Stella......

Well, she also covered Flare Canada, before they went under. Got a one page feature in the current issue of Vanity Fair alongside the likes of Kendall Jenner. And now she's peddling perfume for Stella......

And she was on the cover of Nylon not too long ago, which probably shares a bit of Teen Vogue's demographic.

"Grime's Time"
Photographer: Ben Toms
Fashion Editor: Delphine Danhier
Hair: Tina Outen
Makeup: Benjamin Puckey

source: teenvogue.com

MORNING GLORIES
Photographer: Matthew Kristall
Stylist: Delphine Danhier
Hair: Tina Outen
Make-up: Fiona Stiles
Models: Lameka Fox & Julia

Teen Vogu Digital Edition

BAD ROMANCE
Photographer: Jeff Bark
Stylist: Elin Svahn
Hair: Tomo Jidai
Make-up: Marla Belt
Model/Celebrity: Lily Stewart

Allure Digital Edition

Those hideous Miu Miu things keep showing up, the heck?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadxreminders
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->