tFS Favorite Covers of 2010

MissMagAddict

Reaction score
As we approach the end of the year and based on the suggestion by BerlinRocks to create one general thread for our favorite covers of the year, we have decided to start what we hope will become an annual tradition by creating two open polls (Covers and Editorials) to discuss and nominate our FIVE FAVORITE COVERS Of 2010.

The rules are the following:
  • You can post a maximum of 5 covers. Only your favorite list will be allowed (no subcategories, please!)
  • If the images are bigger than 160x160, please post them as thumbnails to make sure no one has trouble with page loading.
  • Credit the images according to tFS Crediting Rules.
  • Do not post direct links to image sources and do not use your own blog as a credit, please.
  • Voting ends on February 15, 2010.
  • HAVE FUN! :santa:

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Vogue Paris October 2010 : Lara Stone by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

2. Vogue Italia August 2010 : Kristen McMenamy by Steven Meisel

3. Vogue Italia November 2010: Freja Beha Erichsen & Iselin Steiro by Steven Meisel

4. Numéro June/July 2010: Monika "Jac" Jagaciak by Sølve Sundsbø

5. Vogue Paris March 2010 : Rose Cordero by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

models.com

Did all those polls disappear? I thought it was fascinating to see the choices that people were making per magazine, in terms of how tfs preferences will (or won't) tally with the actual sales figures of certain titles when they come out. Certainly, restricting it to choosing five covers overall is a fun activity, but it's not as informative as the individual threads were, although I suppose the proliferation of them might be a problem. I blame it on the recession - we're having to cut back on threads.

I don't think my memory is good enough to recall what's appeared on the newsstand over the past eleven months.

Yeah, those are really helpful tbh. And we've been doing this in the past so I don't know what's the problem with it now.

1. Vogue Italia August 2010: Kristen McMenamy by Steven Meisel

2. Muse Magazine #22: Isabeli Fontana by Terry Tsolis

3. Vogue Italia November 2010: Freja & Iselin by Steven Meisel

4. Vogue Italia May 2010: Kirsi & Daria S. by Steven Meisel

5. Vogue France August 2010: Freja

vogue.fr, vogue.it, Facebook MUSE Magazine

Did all those polls disappear? I thought it was fascinating to see the choices that people were making per magazine, in terms of how tfs preferences will (or won't) tally with the actual sales figures of certain titles when they come out. Certainly, restricting it to choosing five covers overall is a fun activity, but it's not as informative as the individual threads were, although I suppose the proliferation of them might be a problem. I blame it on the recession - we're having to cut back on threads.

I don't think my memory is good enough to recall what's appeared on the newsstand over the past eleven months.

lool no, I asked a moderator and she said:

"The moderator team is currently reviewing how the poll for the covers (and editorials) will be done this years. There is a concern that the poll threads are flooding the magazine forum. There will be new threads fairly soon."

And we've been doing this in the past so I don't know what's the problem with it now.
Hum, complicated.. but it gets to a point where the direction of the forum is far more important than numbers and coincidences, we created In Depth this year for a lot of reasons, one of them was to promote more discussion and control powerposting, and it was only after long debates and references from mods and past members that have been turned off by the robotic dynamics growing in the community (powerposting).. creating one section foments discussion but the problem prevails in the rest of the forum, we realise we cannot make it go away (partly for our current demographics) but we can control it.. one poll might prove someone where sales are, for us, as a forum, having 30 threads in the span of a month that indirectly promote one-word posts does not really benefit us at all, we would much rather capture the feeling of the community in a general topic where options are expected to be based on personal taste. Not to mention the remaining threads for discussion (non-poll threads) end right at the bottom, BerlinRocks used the word 'pollution' and I think it's appropriate when it's no longer about any result but checkmarking publications.

Mine:
1. Grey with Constance by Chadwick Tyler
2. The Room #11 : Iris Strubegger by Marton Perlaki
3. Russh August/September 2010 : Alessandra Ambrosio by Will Davidson
4. Vogue Paris March 2010 : Rose Cordero by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
5. Russh June/July 2010 : Ieva Laguna & Tony Ward by Will Davidson

covers1.jpgcovers2.jpgrusssh.jpg
covers4.jpgcovers5.jpg
[Credits: russhblog, annflower at tumblr.com, models.com]

I feel a little bad for having left out the March issue of Vogue Australia, I thought the concept was amazing but thankfully, Russh grabbed a few ideas and improved it, can't blame them for coming up with something visually more captivating while still celebratory of beach culture. :heart:

Also my order is a little biased, just because Grey is the only magazine that managed to impressed me this year and the one that I'll be bothering to invest on.. until the crisis for quality images ends. If I were more objective though, I'd say Vogue Paris with Rose Cordero deserves the title for cover of the year.. for an endless number of reasons, both conceptual and social.. it makes a much needed statement of global beauty through a very conventional shot of a beautiful young girl.. it's a choice not many magazines are willing to make and the result is inspiring and sums up the year for me.

The greatest cover of the year and one of the best in the decade!!!.:heart::heart:

Rose Cordero by Mert and Marcus

source: iwanttobearoitfield.com

Probably I'll change my mind but...

Vogue Italia August 2010 Kristen McMenamy by Steven Meisel

vogue.it

Acne Paper #10 Rianne Ten Haken, Natasa Vojnovic & Mirte Maas by Daniel Jackson

acnestudios

Vogue Paris October 2010 Lara Stone by Mert & Marcus

fashioninmotion

AnOther Magazine S/S 2010 Marion Cotillard by Craig McDean

scan by honeycombchild on tFS forums

Velvet March 2010 Cato van Ee by Azim Haidaryan

repubblica.it via FRANCY ITALY

I feel like while there were some really good covers this year, I can think of more great ones from last year.

1- V magazine issue 64 Kristen Dunst by Mario Testino

2- Vogue Paris October 2010 : Lara Stone by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

3- Vogue Italia November 2010: Freja Beha Erichsen & Iselin Steiro by Steven Meisel

4- Vogue Paris March 2010 : Rose Cordero by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

5- LOVE SS2010 Lara Stone by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

models.com

Hum, complicated.. but it gets to a point where the direction of the forum is far more important than numbers and coincidences, we created In Depth this year for a lot of reasons, one of them was to promote more discussion and control powerposting, and it was only after long debates and references from mods and past members that have been turned off by the robotic dynamics growing in the community (powerposting).. creating one section foments discussion but the problem prevails in the rest of the forum, we realise we cannot make it go away (partly for our current demographics) but we can control it.. one poll might prove someone where sales are, for us, as a forum, having 30 threads in the span of a month that indirectly promote one-word posts does not really benefit us at all, we would much rather capture the feeling of the community in a general topic where options are expected to be based on personal taste. Not to mention the remaining threads for discussion (non-poll threads) end right at the bottom, BerlinRocks used the word 'pollution' and I think it's appropriate when it's no longer about any result but checkmarking publications.

Is possible then to disable posting in the polls and only have the option to vote for the best cover and that's it? Because for me, those year-end Cover polls is among my favorite things about tFS. I just love seeing all the covers of a given glossy together and see what the members think, etc.

I wish some sort of vote were created before getting rid of the polls for each magazine as well. I really enjoyed being able to see all of the covers for each edition all together.

If we aren't able to keep the poll threads, can we at least include the pictures that members created for the Vogues, Harpers, etc., in the first post of this thread? my memory doesn't serve me so well to be able to remember my favorite magazine covers of the entire year.

Yes, I was a little confused myself why posting isn't disabled in the polls. I, too, enjoy seeing the covers from a single publication together and then being able to vote on them.

does this mean there will be no more polls?

If it helps, someone can compile the major magazine 2010 covers in the first post and then members get to choose from there.

Yes, I was a little confused myself why posting isn't disabled in the polls.
Because we're a discussion forum, you're supposed to comment on the material that's posted. Polls (without space for comments) is a feature more suitable for other formats (such as our homepage or places like style.com), perhaps something like that could be arranged... in the homepage.

This will take time to get used to, but it's nothing catastrophic, the polls have only been here for a couple of years - tFS is almost 10 years old.

Shouldn`t we do like "tFS Favorite VOGUE Covers of 2010" or any magazine. Covers is really general and it would be a hard and long list.

1. Vogue Nippon April 2010 Daria Werbowy by Mikael Jansson

2. Vogue Russia May 2010 Anabela Belikova by Tom Munro

3. Vogue Australia March 2010 Abbey Lee Kershaw by Max Doyle

4. Vogue UK June 2010 Angela Lindvall by Tom Craig

5. Vogue Italia June 2010 Eva Herzigova by Steven Meisel

models.com

Shouldn`t we do like "tFS Favorite VOGUE Covers of 2010" or any magazine. Covers is really general and it would be a hard and long list.

But then there would be lots of magazines which may have had great covers, but wouldn't get mentioned because they would be considered too small for a thread, which would be a shame. I suppose it that respect, this thread is more inclusive than the individual polls. Although I liked those too, it was interesting seeing all of a magazine's year of covers on page and it's so hard to remember every magazine cover I liked from the entire year!

#1- Freja Beha Erichsen by Steven Meisel - Vogue Italia March 2010
22476934.jpg

#2- Freja Beha by Emma Summerton - i-D Spring 2010
12941805.jpg

#3- Daria Strokous and Kirsi Pyrhonen by Steven Meisel - Vogue Italia May 2010
25707751.jpg

#4- Emily Didonato by Anthony Maule - Numéro #115 August 2010
78305289.jpg

#5- Alina Krasina by Junji Hata - Spur December 2010

35165941.jpg

[Images via Vogue.it, i-donline.com, madeinpresse.fr & rakuten.co.jp]

Users who are viewing this thread