tFS mix tape/cd project!

.francesca

about to fall or fly
Reaction score
everyone here has amazing taste in music and, because we come from all over the world, there are some very diverse and often largely unknown bands mentioned. i propose we initiate a mix project. i have been/am still involved in several and there are a couple ways we can do this. i'll probably need some help from a few people, but it might go something like this: we can pair people up randomly to give and receive mixes, or 2 people can plan to trade with each other. i sort of like the first option because it becomes a surprise, but it might be tricky to make it work. we can figure that out. address and names will remain confidential, obviously: only the 2 people trading will know each other's information.

let me know what you think! this has worked really well in all the trades i'm involved in and it's a really great way to hear new music that you might never ever come across.

:heart: f

good idea! if hotels and restaurants can do it, so can we.

awesome, faust! i'm glad you're into it. :smile:

though i'd like to think we could come up with some better mixes than hotels and restaurants... :lol:

great idea...........oh how I used to love my friend's mix tapes......

the organisation of the thing might be a bit tricky. what if somebody will want to put the next B.Spears track as their recommendation - we can't discriminate on the grounds of bad taste, and even if we can, who'll decide that? by votes? then, we really will only be able to come up with a list of tracks and not an actual CD without breaking the copyright laws. otherwise it would've been cool. someone could've either hosted the cd on their server, or maybe Andy could even make and sell them for a few bucks to make some money to support tFS.

i don't think we would have to post possible mixes. what i was thinking is that we just pair up two people and what they put on their mixes is their discretion. a surprise!

this is how one particular trade has worked in the past. it's defunct now, but not because it didn't work:

an email address was set up for those who were interested in participating. they would email with their name, address and the format they preferred for a mix (tape or cd or minidisc). there was also an option to put what kind of music they didn't want on a mix. then, based on those submissions and specifics, the moderators of the email address would pair people up randomly. they would tell you who you got, but you didn't know who got you. there would be a deadline, then sometime within that deadline, you'd get a mix in the mail. only then would you know who sent it to you! it was great fun because mixes came from all over the world and since you put some genre requirements, it was usually something you like. i should point out that the community all had similar tastes, so it wasn't too out there (meaning no britney et al, unless it was "ironic").

so, we could set up an email (ie, fashionspotmixes(at)gmail(dot)com or somesuch), put a couple/three people in charge, and let it go. it's pretty inexpensive to send a tape or cd in the mail; if andy wants to set something up as a fundraiser, i'd be totally into helping out with that.

so, what do we think? believe me, it can work. i promise :heart:

^^i got rid of "tapes" when I got rid of the car..........

:lol:

have you guys seen this book, edited by thurston moore?

mixtape.jpg

it's actually amazing. some really beautiful tapes in there.

i totally appreciate audio technology, but there's just something so nostalgic about tapes...anyway, i can't make tapes (no dual cassette recorder) but i've gotten my mix cd making down to a science.

if you would like to participate or have any questions the email is:

[email protected]

:heart:

great idea, francesca!. :buzz:

i did it a couple years ago in another message board :smile:ninja:smile: with a guy from Canada and it was so much fun.
i agree about your last post/idea, someone should be in charge of pairing people because as faust said, randomly would be quite strange considering everyone tends to be very picky about their music. people with similar tendencies seems like a good idea to me..without making it too obvious, i wouldnt like to receive a clone of the cds i made, more like discovering different music..but not hilary duff's new single either. if that makes sense of course :unsure: .

.francesca said:
if you would like to participate or have any questions the email is:

[email protected]

i think i saw that on sonic youth's website but didnt pay any attention :doh:

is that the email already? :woot: .

err..name and adress, right?

MulletProof said:
i think i saw that on sonic youth's website but didnt pay any attention :doh:

is that the email already? :woot: .

err..name and adress, right?

First dibs on Mullet's tape! :woot:

just copy and paste this into an email:

name:

address:

can you make: tape or cd or both?

do you want to receive: tape or cd?

any additional info about music you like:

[email protected]

yayayayayay!!

i think it's a fantastic idea, francesca!:heart:

i'd love to participate but i doubt anyone would like to get paired with me (ahem) since i never talk about my musical preferences... maybe it's time to:lol:

i saw that book a few weeks ago and loved it!

i preordered it on amazon last year before it came out (i'm crazy) and received it in may. i love it so much. some contributors include: ahmet zappa, mike watt, jim o'rourke, sue de beer and kate spade. it's really cheap (like, $15 or so american) and really pretty. i recommend it.

don't be silly, anna...i would love to get a tape from you! and i'm sure everyone else would too..the mystery is part of the fun!!

it's not as cheap here, but i guess i'll buy it one time or another^_^

thanks francesca, silly me is taking part:woot:

yay anna k!!!

yay everyone who is interested!! yay for summer (and fall, and winter, and spring!) mixes!

:heart:!!

i'd join to band of those who'd like to receive a tape from anna. :lol: :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->