Here We Go Magic

BerlinRocks

Reaction score
Thanks to this blog http://youweretheretoo.blogspot.com/ - the owner is a tfs member - I recently discovered Here We Go Magic
It's just magical ... so thought I could share
:heart::heart:

We like the way the name sounds so we set it to music. Our own Luke made a beautiful record and we joined him to make something together. We are creating songs from melodies that can turn from gorgeous to challenging to a little scary and back again. Sounds are driven and shaped by, but hopefully never grounded by, rhythms that entrance before performing a somersault. It all seems silly on paper, but there are no dirty words: groovy, psychedelic, pretty etc... are all fair game. It is our hope that we generate something generous and surprising, crafted but instinctive, even as it coalesces. So far it is a lovely ruckus.

http://herewegomagic.com/

Sometimes, it's worth gritting your teeth through a little tedium to get to the good stuff. I'm thinking of Joyce Carol Oates stories in Harper's, stealth sections in video games, and the opening stretch of indie-folk musician Luke Temple's (now fronting a band called Here We Go Magic) "Tunnelvision". It begins as a fairly innocuous folk-rock jam-- clip-clopping percussion and craggy acoustic guitar simmer in a four-track haze, Temple's high voice flying overhead like a banner in the wind. But something happens along the way-- the track picks up buried vocal harmonies like rolling snowball, and little flights of lyricism attach to the underside of the hard-charging riff, which takes on an air of inexorability. Gradually, "Tunnelvision" earns its title, moving so purposefully forward that you can feel your own lateral perspective blanking out, eyes fastened on the prize.
www.pitchforkmedia.com

The music industry, as most others, is gradually winding down operations for the year, but we continue to get some really great music in the mailbox, most of which is set to come out in early 2009. So in a way we actually exist in February 2009. You are wearing striped leggings that your new Valentine gave you and they make your knees look knocked but don't hold that against him, he's a solid dude. Just putting that out there, use it however.

Anyway, one of our recent favorite future releases is the self-titled album from Greenpoint, Brooklyn's Here We Go Magic aka Luke Temple. It opens with "Only Pieces," which we swore sampled Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al" but actually is just a loop of Temple softly singing What's the use in dying dying if I don't know when? There are only pieces pieces of me. What's the use in dying dying if I cannot see? Easy mistake. What follows are a bunch of quietly psychedelic, gentle philosophical jams homemade (literally) by Temple. We know we say "jam" a lot, but in this case it connotes actual rhythms that you might not expect after reading all those soft words. You might not throw this on at any dance parties next year, but don't be surprised if a Sunday afternoon play draws a crowd of waltzing longhairs to the sidewalk outside your window. A good example is "Tunnelvision," available on TheFADER.com, and playing real loud right now as hand-sized snowflakes fall on Manhattan. If you're in New York, you can request it from Temple and his band tonight at the Bell House in Brooklyn. Here We Go Magic is out on February 17th on Western Vinyl.
thefader.com

They are currently on tour in USA
and don't forget to check the Tunnelvision's video ...
magic !!!:crush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fer4JUpYWV0

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->