The Business of Celebrities as Fashion Brand Ambassadors

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by Benn98, May 26, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. dsamg

dsamg Active Member

Yep definitely agree with that and I am still devastated about Sense8, she is amazing!

2. sixtdaily

sixtdaily Well-Known Member

And Dakota Johnson for Gucci too!

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Was she ever in a campaign? I don't seem to recall.

4. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

I believe there isn't an official connection between her and Gucci. When she was interviewed in Vogue US for the February issue this year she said:

vogue.com

Perhaps it's not totally true that she goes only as a friend, i.e. she benefits in terms of wardrobe and trips, but it seems that they aren't paying her for promoting the brand.

5. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Thought so as well, but she does seem to have an AWFUL lot of Gucci merchandise which she incorporates into her off-duty style. She may well pay for these goods, who knows.

6. sixtdaily

sixtdaily Well-Known Member

She will be in the next fragrance campaign with Hari Nef and Petra Collins.

7. Alexa1994

Alexa1994 Member

Thanks for sharing :wink:

8. Cicciolina

Cicciolina New Member

I think there's a difference between celebrities under contract (Charlize at Dior, Alicia Vikander at LV) and friend of the brand (Jennifer Connelly at LV, Tilda Swinton with Haider Ackermann, Kirsten Dunst for Rodarte).

Contracted means obviously there's a financial transaction going on. Jennifer Lawrence walks out in Dior without fail for every major red carpet. Michelle Williams is always in LV. Selena Gomez will always be carrying a Coach bag from now on. etc. Outfits for red carpet events are organised. Usually these brands are fine if their celebrity doesn't wear their brand for certain events, but only if it's not a competing brand e.g. that's why Vikander could wear Mary Katrantzou, but she is going to be in more trouble if it were Chanel/Dior/Fendi/etc.

Under these arrangements brands have a celebrity for a number of days/hours for promotion, so if a magazine for example is shooting Alicia Vikander on LV time, they have to put her in LV - this would be negotiated ahead, hypothetically. If Alicia is booked through her agent, the magazine could shoot her in LV to be nice, but it's under no obligation to do so - though it would be the polite thing to do I imagine. Alicia would then decline to wear anything that LV would consider competition, like Chanel or Dior. But as mentioned in an above article, loaning would come into play here. Hence why then Alicia would be shot in more independent designers than the big guns.

Friend of the brand means that there's a personal friendship with the designer and/or mutual respect. OR the celebrity is willing to front it for free because it adds to their reputation and resume, like many of the random sociliates/it-girls who do Chanel. Chanel are known to pay less for their contracted celebrities anyway, because they can, though this may change now that Dior is going after their list. I would doubt that Jennifer Connelly is being paid by LV, or at least, not a substantial amount because it means more to her than it does to LV as a corporate for Jennifer to be wearing their clothes. And Haider Ackermann would not have the budget to pay Tilda.

#28 Cicciolina, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited by moderator Natasa: Jul 9, 2017
  9. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

She used to wear Lanvin as well ... and lately she's been wearing Schiaparelli, right? She also wore some Galliano designs not long ago.

10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Source: WWD.com

11. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ I have to say that it makes no sense to me to include celebrities who are ... the faces of their own brands.

12. CommanderTMugler

CommanderTMugler Active Member

Something that was brought up in the Jennifer Lawrence thread... she's a Dior ambassador... she just wore Versace to a big premiere.. would she be breaching her contract? What would be the "penalty" for doing so? Anybody have any more info on that?

I only remember a while ago Charlize Theron got sued by some watch company since she wore a Dior watch instead to some random event.

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

WWD.com

Lola701 likes this.
  14. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Great read! Thanks Benn98!
    It's quite interesting...
    I feel like the problem today is that celebrities are almost "chasing the contract".
    The brand ambassador thing is weird in this case because IMO there's only one brand that does it well...

There are a lot of independent and respected designers who can dress those actresses and actors. But, it's maybe better to build a personal relationship with the designer or the brand before sending your stylist or waiting to be noticed for a contract.

But the problem is that, in order to build a relationship with the brand or a designer, you have to love or at least to have an interest for fashion. And to be honest, not all those actors have that. And when you add that and the diversity thing, it's even more complicated.

I wonder why Tracee hasn't signed a contract. She is the friend of house of 3 brands right now...

Benn98 likes this.