The Hermès Thread (Feb 03 - Feb 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a great bag, but I was wondering: do you sometimes feel guilty for spending that much on "trivial" things like accessories?

I mean the collective you, not singling out Leyla here!

I make a decent wage and I do buy stuff from Prada, Louis Vuitton and so on occasionally. I personally don't feel guilty because I won't buy the really expensive stuff (€ 1000 is my limit basically), I couldn't justify it to myself. If I was wealthy I wouldn't mind spending any amount, I guess...

So, ever feel a touch of remorse for spending all that money?

Originally posted by tott@Jun 2nd, 2003 - 11:31 pm
It's a great bag, but I was wondering: do you sometimes feel guilty for spending that much on "trivial" things like accessories?

I mean the collective you, not singling out Leyla here!

I make a decent wage and I do buy stuff from Prada, Louis Vuitton and so on occasionally. I personally don't feel guilty because I won't buy the really expensive stuff (€ 1000 is my limit basically), I couldn't justify it to myself. If I was wealthy I wouldn't mind spending any amount, I guess...

So, ever feel a touch of remorse for spending all that money?
absolutely!! :(
i even feel guilty when i just buy something less expensive...
but the way i take care of my fashion items (bags, shoes, clothes) justifies it very well....
someone like my mum for exampl e wouldnt deserve an expensive bag cause she throws it into her closet without care.
however, i an saving up for the BIRKIN.
i thought even if i had millions on my account i would never buy it.. but its funny how my mind just quickly changed when i found one :innocent:

:blink: :woot: Congratulations, Leyla! Please post pictures when you get it so that we can all share in your joy (and so I can live vicariously through you). :wink: :woot:

What is the size of the bag?? Just curious -- do you like the Birkin over the Kelly bag?? I love the blue jean color that I've seen Sarah Jessica Parker carrying before.............oh to dream!! If only I could stop purchase a few bags a year and SAVE for a couple of years I'd probably spend the same LOL!!

sandy :smile:

ah Leyla you have such great taste! I always call such things investments because they really are classic and can be handed down if you wish to do so. In regards to spending money etc. on trivial things I feel guilty sometimes just drinking a glass of water because I think of how many African kids in the world are dying of thirst while all I have to do is go to my fridge or maybe there's a shipwrecked person out at sea and they have no water whatsoever and I'm lounging around in comfort. I'm so crazy that way. i agree with the point you made. however I feel the fashion world is wrongly singled out sometimes for spending too much on trivial things. Maybe there are many groups of elite train collectors in the world and they spend thousands on rare and perfect trains. who knows!

:woot: Yay Leyla!!! A Birkin....Congrats :flower: Post a pic as soon as you get it :blush:

Originally posted by mehg@Jun 3rd, 2003 - 6:10 pm
Maybe there are many groups of elite train collectors in the world and they spend thousands on rare and perfect trains. who knows!
ebay trains

:blink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :flower:

I absolutely love those bags!...I loved the one Natasha Richardson wore on Maid in Manhattan :blush: :blush:

:o I love the satc blue one,the lime green and the white!!!! :heart: :woot:

Leyla said: "but the way i take care of my fashion items (bags, shoes, clothes) justifies it very well...."

I have to agree. I rationalise my purchases by saying "It's better quality" and things like that. It really is true that maintenance and basic quality will make things last a long time.

I have shoes I've worn for 10 years, as long as they're classics and you keep them polished they will last... Not for everyday wear, but a couple of times/week. OK, men's shoes might be built to last longer than women's? I'm not sure.

As far as I'm concerned, I've bought very cheap H&M clothes that will last and last as well as designer stuff that'll fall apart after 2 washes. You never know.

As far as leather goods are concerned they are worth paying extra for in my experience. I'm still hesitant to pay Hermes prices though, there are so many others out there producing the same stellar quality... Granted, they aren't Hermes and I'd love to have some Hermes stuff, I admit.

When you reach a certain price point it's not about quality any more, but status. You could buy the same basic design for much less as well...

Welcome Tott! Hey Leyla, congratulations on the Birkin, those bags are hot property. Perfect for any time, day, night, clubbing, on the beach, wherever, so versatile. Birkins, gorgeous!

leyla! you are so faaaabulous!

If you ever need a bag curator I would be happy to fill the position.

Congratulations!

Thanks for your welcomes! I've been lurking (mostly) for a while...

:flower:

More Birkin photos. The lucky owner is Kelly Bensimon:

dn6.jpg

Oooh I'm excited for you Leyla!

Someone came into my office the other day with a birkin and I was :buzz: :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->