The Last Movie You Saw?

Not LAST movie I saw but I just wonder about other ppls opinions. Has anyone seen Lake Mungo? SIS I am the most desensitized internet person ever, love horror movies, and for some reason the end scene where they show the cell phone footage of Alice seeing herself dead legit activated my fight or flight. A true jolt of PANIC like I have never felt before from a movie my heart was pounding I don't know WHY that got me so f*cking bad.

The Tearsmith

honestly such an odd movie, like an American high school movie - specifically, like a Gen Z Twilight - translated to Italian but the only trace of Italy in the entire thing is the language and the fact that everyone is better dressed and hair and makeup isn't overdone like the average American teen tv show. other than that it has that ridiculous Americanised veneer like all Netflix original stuff that isn't Stranger Things does - soundtrack choices, tropes, etc - it's SO CHEESY but the leads have the chemistry to make it watchable.

Godzilla Minus One, it was actually good even though I've never seen a Godzilla movie before.

Saw The Bikeriders in the cinema last weekend...planning on seeing the new Yorgos film next

Kinds of Kindness... I feel like I usually enjoy his movies one way or another, but this was too much. It felt aimless at times. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. At one point there was this dramatic/scary music accompanying a pretty regular shot in the first part, and I thought "oh okay I see what happened" but then 3/4 of the audience started laughing and it almost sent me into psychosis. I legitimately felt like I was in some scene in a crazy David Lynch movie.

"Drop Dead Gorgeous." I think the pageant scene would make a fantastic group-costume for Halloween! "Atomic power...makes me, Molly Howard, proud to be an Asian American." :rofl:

"Drop Dead Gorgeous." I think the pageant scene would make a fantastic group-costume for Halloween! "Atomic power...makes me, Molly Howard, proud to be an Asian American." :rofl:
Kirsten Dunst was the true queen of America-parodying 1999 teen comedies, a narrow genre to be sure but D-ck (lol I have to spell it that way for the filter) and Drop Dead Gorgeous are two of the greatest entries in her - admittedly already fantastic - filmography. 25 years later and they still never fail to make me laugh.

^that was 2000! But honestly, her teen filmography is one of the greatest of all time, movie for movie - girl did The Hairy Bird, The Virgin Suicides, Drop Dead Gorgeous, D-ck AND Bring It On within the span of less than 3 years between the ages of 15-18?! Natalie Portman could never (side note: can't help noticing the contrast between their filmographies at that stage in their careers - at least Kirsten made films for people her own age i.e. teens, and had the range to make them good+wasn't playing Lolita figures to older men - some of Natalie's filmography has me genuinely questioning what her parents were even thinking letting her play those roles)

my theory is that Kirsten went underrated for so long because only Oscar bait i.e. serious DrAmA is treated as evidence of acting skills, in her case she was good at all of it and had evidence of it by age 16 but having hit comedies actually made the Oscar people respect her less, not more.

as for what I watched - Under Paris (yes it was dumb but I wanted to see what Berenice Bejo would be like in a shark movie). It was exactly as dumb as I thought it would be and then some. I mean, a shark in the river Seine? lol. I need to watch something that isn't a Netflix movie...

Polite Society, a rewatch but hey it's 1 hour 45 minutes and short movies are always a bonus.

I absolutely love it and probably identify with the older sister a bit more than I should lol

Ready or Not (2019) it's a tight, tense and hilarious 90 minutes I wish they made more movies like this.

Also Samara Weaving's costume is a 10/10 I am all for the destroyed and bloodied-up Grace Kelly wedding dress combined with Converse and an unravelling crown braid <3

Point Break (1991) I literally knew nothing about it other than the Avengers made a joke about it once and it stars Keanu. The acting is terrible (especially Keanu, no surprise there, love him though) and the plot worse but it's better than the sum of its parts esp thanks to Patrick Swayze and those surfing scenes.

(honestly should have made them love interests it would have been so compelling - because Keanu looks way more emotionally involved with Patrick's character than Lori Petty's - but obv 1991 was not going to do a popcorn movie about gay surfers)

Did you like The Bikeriders??

It’s so… meandering.

Shame because it’s shot so gorgeously. There’s a scene that's beyond achingly beautifully lit from the side with that amber streetlight of Austin and Tom talking intimately in the dark of night, outlining their gorgeous bone structures; and the tension, the anticipation, the need, for these two to finally kiss was so... entitled LMFAO …Because there was always this smoulder, physical heat between the two from the very beginning. Then nothing happens. And that’s the consistency that weaves throughout the storytelling, the film: Nothing happens. Such a blueballs offering.

(And I can’t help thinking throughout the film, how amazing it would have been, just visually, had Tom Ford directed this. It’s very much his sensibility, visually.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olddonut616
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->