The Most "Value-for-Money" Designers?

Prezens

Reaction score
Going through the "most overpriced designer" thread further reiterated the fact that whilst designer products are indeed luxury goods and therefore can expected to be quite a bit more expensive than production costs, the degree to which these prices are hiked up is generally quite ridiculous.:shock:

To be quite frank, I am more interested in the designers who show some kind of mercy on its customers:lol: and would like to know what designers you think fall into this category.

Apologies if a similar thread is already open, but to my knowledge none exists.

within the designer category of the luxury market, houses like gucci, prada, yves saint laurent, and emporio armani provide lots of value with respect to the amount of style impact they provide. ESPECIALLY on sale, buying from these houses not only provides the type of quality to last years and years, but their pieces have enough vision to transform an entire ensemble with relatively inexpensive pieces.

i buy lots of shoes and shirts from prada -- and yes, many times on sale -- and although i may only wear them once, i can come back to them months later and they still have impact depending. also, gucci and prada basic bags and suits can't be beat.

as far as jewelry, i've found the ysl ring or necklace to completely change a look without breaking the bank. also, ysl has some great tailored pieces that look a lot more expensive than they are and work with low cost basics.

finally, emporio armani, for me, creates basics with that extra bit of designer edge. they're muted enough where they can get worked into one's everyday wardrobe without overpowering a look, but special enough to get worn on a great night out and still make an impact.

that's my two cents. also, with a trusted tailor and a exacting eye, one cannot overlook the value in retailers like banana republic, club monaco, zara, and uniqlo.

I personally like Armani for men, which my husband usually buys on sale. I've found that certain pieces, like his velvet pants or his velvet blazer are classic enough, yet modern enough to really add something to his wardrobe and last years.

For myself the best buys have always been what I love. A pair of Forever 21 earrings that I have gotten countless compliments on and worn countless times. A Prada bag from 2006.

Then again in terms of value for the money a favorite is Hermes. Honestly I don't regret my purchases and they seem to hold up very well. Today I'm wearing a Medor watch that I bought 2-3 years ago. I have a scarf and a collier de chien bracelet, since the bracelet has been in production since the 1940s or so, I'm confident that it has lasting staying power.

This season I've ordered an Alexander Wang bag, which I'm very hopeful will offer value for the money, but its a pre-order so I haven't seen it.

^good point about hermes. i bought a couple of bracelets eons ago and still get compliments and it didn't break the bank. people shop hermes for its timelessness and there's value in that.

a few things i'm "dying" over right now that i feel are quite reasonable. the gucci suits:

00020m.jpg
00030m.jpg

(style.com; men.style.com);

nothing beats a great avant prada shoe...
00530m.jpg
00220m.jpg

(style.com; men.style.com);

one can keep stylish pieces from bridge lines like emporio for years and years and years

00220m.jpg
00460m.jpg

(style.com;men.style.com)

and for under $200 bucks you just can't beat ysl jewelry...

(source: ysl.com)

Attachments

• ysl ring.jpg
    ysl ring.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1
  • ysl bracelet.jpg
    ysl bracelet.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 0
^^
Nice choices. Those Prada shoes are fantastic. I'm thinking of studded pair of Louboutins as my statement heel for the fall, but the Pradas are way up on my list as well.

Here are some of my other ideas/favorites

- the Balenciaga classic, city, twiggy, etc. bags. I resisted these for a long time, finally got one in black and have already worn it quite a bit.

- Cartier trinity ring or the love collection. Although I might invest in some deco pieces instead.

- Pucci prints, I have a Pucci scarf and I'm always on the lookout for another Pucci item. It adds a punch of color, but the print is already so retro that you feel like it has staying power - I have a similar theory about some Missoni knits.

- sort of randomn but I'm drooling over a china pattern that was designed in 1938 right now and crystal based on some that Thomas Jefferson used -- these might make my registry, I find great comfort in thinking if they still look fantastic to me, they'll look good years from now.

- A basic pair of lower Louboutin heels for everday, these are on my fall list as well. I just think I could use them to death.

- things in lux skins. I just think that generally if you get something in python or croc it has such a punch that it really adds alot, even though it is generally $$$

I think Dries van Noten is typically quite well priced (especially so on sale of course), and 3.1 Philip Lim. The issue I have with Lim is that because of his cost focus, basically every skirt and dress is a mini because he never wants to shell out for an expanse of fabric. I wish he would ... it would still be affordable IMO. Helmut Lang(granted, Helmut is gone, but still some great basics) ...

Right now, with the recession, many lines whose price tags have tended to shock in the past, are now shocking with the value offered. I've seen some good prices from Lanvin, Bottega (also individual pieces well priced in the past I should add) ...

I have individual pieces from Marc Jacobs and Donna Karan that I thought were well priced.

It's true, of course, that pretty much anything you wear to death is a bargain, and pretty much anything that just hangs in your closet, isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
^You mean, Helmut Lang, dear??? :wink: I loved loved loved the clothes when he was at the helm...I still have a few pieces and they still look as relevant as ever, in fact, his influence could be found in the catwalks often these days

Certain Chanel coats and suits for women have to be seen as value-for-the-money since they will be heirloom pieces for many years to come.

I also believe people will remember Elbaz as they remember Givenchy one day, and try to collect his Lanvin looks from vintage couture etc. stores like how people collect Cristobal, Vionnet and Givenchy today. I mean, RtW and couture are of course not teh same thing, but you get what I mean.

I dont like Dries Van Noten very much, but I have admit his prices are very reasonable. The quality is quite high and when I turn the price tag Im usually surprised by how reasonable the price is.
Probably because he doesn't advertise...

dont think margiela is cheap by any standards, but the quality holds and the style is usually quite timeless.

i love dries van noten as well although i sometimes find the quality isnt quite there (using riri zippers doesnt help, the seams are really so so).

dsquared surprisingly has good quality, jeans doesnt fall apart even after many washes...

^ My only disappointment with Dries' quality is fabric wrinkling unnecessarily ...

dont think margiela is cheap by any standards, but the quality holds and the style is usually quite timeless.

i love dries van noten as well although i sometimes find the quality isnt quite there (using riri zippers doesnt help, the seams are really so so).

dsquared surprisingly has good quality, jeans doesnt fall apart even after many washes...

I agree about the quality of mmm, however I personally wudnt wear on more than the odd occasion half a year or so simply because of the unique style of most of his items.. it gives a peculiar effect i really wudnt want to overdo..Hmm, altho it cud jus be the price tag making me cautious:lol:

And, dsquared is an all time favourite for me, i would definitely say value for money but if i may ask, why is the quality a surprise? :shock:

Just a reminder that this is the reasonably-priced, not over-priced, designer thread :flower: We have both ...

Certain Chanel coats and suits for women have to be seen as value-for-the-money since they will be heirloom pieces for many years to come.

while i do concur that chanel has a lock on that heirloom and timelessness quality, their ready-to-wear and accessories find themselves priced way beyond many pieces that have those same qualities. st. john suits, for example, have all of those qualities at a fraction of the price. also, during the ladylike trend five years back, almost every single ready-to-wear house of worth did a more interesting version of the tweed jacket than chanel including versace, moschino, and anna sui for FAR less money than some of the real things....

00190f.jpg
00320f.jpg
100126130.jpg

style.com

And, dsquared is an all time favourite for me, i would definitely say value for money but if i may ask, why is the quality a surprise? :shock:

i completely agree about dsquared. a lot of their stuff has a lot more designer edge and fashion forward appeal than many give them credit for. i, personally, love the wonderfully inventive things they do with outerwear. and since one can wear outerwear FOREVER, it's certainly an investment that pays for itself over the years....

00150m.jpg
00290m.jpg

(style.com; men.style.com)

From my personal experiences:

- Dior Homme / Nicolas Andreas Taralis suits (unbeatable price/quality relation in the field of sartorially comnstructed suits)
- Dior Homme & Helmut Lang dress shirts (back when the respective designers were still there)
- Rick Owens leather jackets (compaired to Dior Homme, Givenchy or Ann Demeulemeester)
- Church's shoes
- APC / Dior Homme raw denim
- Natalia Brilli leather goods

firstly,i think the majority of belgians i've witnessed and experienced have excellent,well worth the investment work.

bernhard willhelm--love or hate his style,the man knows how to make great clothes that will withstand time. and the more crafty stuff you can acquire...a real treasure. it's absolutely EXTRA-ordinary!

never got to buy anything but looking at her work up close,i always thought veronique branquinho was very high-quality for the prices. and quite honestly before the climate and the suffering,her work was well worth the price. that's why it's such a loss that she's gone out of business...to combine work that was so utterly sublime and simple with so much depth underneath its such a rare treat.

boudicca. the extensive labour-intensive work they put into each and every garment in my eyes makes any acquisition a treasure.

carol christian poell. having experienced his pieces in person....everything we see and believe of him is 100% true. and completely worth what you pay.

oh and if you can get hold of anything....cloak!

Scott, I agree with most of your sentiments and arguments, Boudicca definitely is worth every penny invested... for the woman that can bring their clothes alike. I wasn't too fond of their latest RTW collections lately though, there's a bit too much ruched, balloon-sleeved volume going on lately, I really wish they would tone it down a bit - Ironically it's not the shirt dresses that I remember them best for, but the more simple jersey dresses and structured jackets.

Other than that, I have to disagree about Veronique though - I find her choice of fabrics to be really cheap at times and especially given the prices she is asking for... it would be acceptable, would she deliver in the same price tier as Stephan Schneider, a designer I have completely overlooked in this thread.

hum ... i'm slightly confused with the definition of reasonably priced, you know?

to me the value of things is the price i paid for it divided into how many times i wear it (though there are a couple i wear more sporadically which i adore) ... but in this thread are talking more along the lines of Benetton or Balenciaga?

PS Helmut Lang when he designed was the sh*t .. $100 jeans worth every penny back on the year

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->