The New York Times T Style Women's Fall 2010 : Freida Pinto by Ryan McGinley

Flashbang

Mr. Magic
Reaction score
40573283417874980551883.jpg

Facebook/T Magazine

Screen Test: http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/08/19/t-magazine/1248068883676/screen-test-frieda-pinto.html
Freida Pinto is not one to shy away from a grand gesture. “As my friends and family are quick to remind me, I have always been a big drama queen,” Pinto, 26, recalls over breakfast in a Midtown hotel suite. “As a child, I would stand in front of the mirror and pretend I was this or that person from television. All I needed to do was realize it and recognize what I wanted to do.”

For Pinto, the epiphany came at 11, when India’s Sushmita Sen won the 1994 Miss Universe competition. “The country was really proud of her, and I was like, One day, I want to do the same,” Pinto says in her clipped, slightly accented English, which betrays her middle-class upbringing in the suburbs of Mumbai. “It wasn’t just the glamour of it all because I think at 11, I could hardly understand what glamour was. I really wanted to be like her — appreciated and a source of inspiration. I think that’s what made me go into acting.”

Fortunately, Pinto’s genetic gifts meant that having a career inspired by a beauty queen was a possibility. (Before her crossover success as Latika, the female lead in the 2008 hit “Slumdog Millionaire,” Pinto was a model and the host of a television travel show.) And although she is an eloquent interview subject, her responses occasionally sound like the platitudes you might hear from a contestant being grilled in a beauty pageant.

But Pinto is ever the good sport. After it is pointed out to her that she has a habit of answering in evening-wear-competition oratory, she checks herself a couple of times and allows, “There I go again, sounding like a Miss Universe contestant.” It’s a candor that is also evident when she is asked about her appearance in Woody Allen’s latest London-based ensemble film, “You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger,” to be released next month. In a case of art imitating life, Pinto’s character, Dia, a gorgeously exotic musicologist — is there any other kind? — leaves her fiancé for another man. (In January 2009, Pinto called off her engagement to Rohan Antao and started dating her “Slumdog Millionaire” co-star Dev Patel.)

“I feel what I did was right,” she says of her real-life breakup. “There were no two ways about it. But when I walked into Woody’s office and read the scene in the nursery, where Dia confesses for the first time that she has doubts about what she is getting into, I was like, Has someone been reading the gossip magazines to Woody?”

The gossip magazines certainly had a field day with Pinto’s personal life, after Antao gave an interview to a British tabloid about their relationship and Indian newspapers claimed the two had in fact been secretly married.

“Everyone is going to write you off for one thing or another, but you know what?” Pinto continues. “It’s my life, and if I didn’t go through it, I wouldn’t be the person I am today, sitting here talking about what happened back then and being a little more knowledgeable about what happens in relationships.”

Not having appeared in any Hindi-language films, Pinto admits that she has a way to go before she convinces the doubters back home in India, who know her only as a professional beauty and for her role in “Slumdog Millionaire,” that she has the acting chops to match her cheekbones. And although she holds her own in “You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger,” alongside a cast that includes Josh Brolin, Naomi Watts and Anthony Hopkins, Pinto’s character is little more than imported wallpaper. Ask Woody. “She’s the perfect obscure object of desire,” Allen said via e-mail. “She’s exactly what I wish I saw when I look out the back window of my house in Manhattan.”

Pinto’s desire not to be reduced to the subject of a gaze or to paparazzi bait may be realized with the December release of Julian Schnabel’s film “Miral,” based on Rula Jebreal’s novel, which follows an orphan (played by Pinto) as she falls in love with a Palestinian activist during the first intifada. Not that Pinto is worried about the difference of opinion the movie is likely to generate. “I knew it was going to be one of those stories that will create a lot of controversy,” she says. “But there are stories that need to be told, and if you’re always going to live in fear of what’s going to happen, you’re really not being truthful to yourself. For me, it’s not only an excellent opportunity to prove myself as a serious actor, but also to make a difference in the world.” She smiles, knowing that Miss Universe could not have put it better.
nytimes.com

'GOING PLACES'
Ph: Mark Segal
Styling: David Vandewal
Fashion Assistants: Bronwen Lam, Rich Aybar and Joey Falcone
Hair: Yannick d’Is for Redken/Cutler Salon at Management Artists
Makeup: Peter Philips for Chanel
Manicure: Bernadette Thompson at Art Department
Set Design: Jim Gratson at Creative Exchange Agency
Production: Streeters
Model: Sara Blomqvist

nytimes.com

I love the cover and the second picture of the editorial. Freida looks gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful cover! Going Places looks awesome. Great styling! Thanks for posting, Flashbang!

she looks beautiful but they could've done a lot mroe with the colours/backround etc

'GOING PLACES' is infinitely better than the nomad-themed editorials Vogue US has attempted.

Frida looks gorgeous on the cover of T and she sounds so gracious and kind in the little interview clip.

How I love Willy :heart:

Model: Laetitia Casta
Ph: Willy Vanderperre
Style: Anne Christensen

fashiongonerogue

^Anne's styling is wonderful in that editorial, it works perfectly with Willy's aesthetic.

Laetitia is really on a roll, those days ...
Is it because of Lara stellar career that they're taking her back ?

When I said yesterday in another thread, she's not worked so much in her entire 1990s career, I meant it !

When is this out ?
* I didn't want to ask, but Vogue and W are out a little earlier than said on the "Date of Publication" or whatever thread ... So, just wondering ... I don't wanna miss it !!
Is it with Sunday NYT ? Or does it come on its own ?

When is this out ?
* I didn't want to ask, but Vogue and W are out a little earlier than said on the "Date of Publication" or whatever thread ... So, just wondering ... I don't wanna miss it !!
Is it with Sunday NYT ? Or does it come on its own ?

It's with the Sunday, August 22nd NYT & the Saturday, September 4th IHT.

The hue of the dress and the light touch of green, what a gorgeous cover.

Freida is a beautiful woman and the cover is stunning too! Also I'm in love with Laetitia's editorial :heart:

The Body Shop
NY Times T Magazine Fall 2010
Ph: Richard Burbridge
St: Anne Christensen
M: Rose, Crystal, Anna, China, Cheryl

*nytimes

"Two for the rue"
Photographer: Hans Feurer
Fashion Editor: Melissa Ventosa Martin
Models: Ieva Laguna, Marlena Szoka

nytimes.com

Laetitia is gorgeous and i already have tears in my eyes because i will never find this magazine in Toulouse ** sigh **

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->