The Problem With ‘Full Look’ Styling in Fashion Magazines

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by Benn98, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Not exactly a blinding revelation to most of us on here, but nevertheless interesting!

Source: Business of Fashion

2. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I've always find that ridiculous but my only issue with that has to do with big brands. Like, if you have the power of Vuitton, you can buy all the covers of the world and suddenly, we have (like every season) the same look on the campaign, on the show and on the usual Vuitton girls in every magazine around.

I remember 5 years ago, an Italian brand ( i don't remember if it was Prada or Dolce & Gabbana) who said to editors and stylist that they didn't want their clothes to be styled with brands that are not "big luxury brands". So they basically didn't allowed stylist to style their clothes with brands other than Chanel, Dior, Vuitton, Givenchy etc.

Kudos to the designers and brands that are not into that full look policy.

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'm reading the bit about Calvin Klein and while it makes sense, I'm left wondering how exactly houses cemented their vision in the past? It ultimately boils down to money yet again. Wouldn't be surprised if this was a directive from Raf. It reeks of his egotistical machinations.

4. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

It's such a turn-off. Not a wise business move at all.

Of course the always insufferable Raf would be the one that’s at the forefront of such a demand… and LOL at SL insisting that they don’t practice such a business move: Accessories are allowed LOOOOL

Thanks Benn

5. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Source: Businessoffashion.com

6. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

I'm so indifferent to so many of these rags nowadays, that at this point-- I’m expecting just a bag and a pair of shoes from the highest bigger on some of these covers.

7. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

It's clear that US Bazaar sold out some time ago.

Perhaps the way I buy and mix items is atypical ... but probably not. I occasionally find myself wearing a favorite designer head to toe, but the items were never 'a look' until I put them together. Much more usual is a high-low mix where most items are from different labels. And that's what I'm interested in seeing editorially. Why would I want a repeat of what I've already seen on the runway and in ads? To me it makes so much more sense to allow editors to do their thing, and show the pieces in a fresh and imaginative way that will inspire people differently than what the brand's stylists have already done and showed everyone. If you just repeat that, it could be seen as reinforcing, or it could be seen as stale and boring.

8. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

The last article might try to present the concept of covers paid for by advertisers as a big novelty, but I'm convinced that throughout the 90's and 00's Vogue Italia had package deals with all their big Italian advertisers. Year in and year out January was Versace, February was Blumarine, March was Dolce & Gabbana etc. Same cover rotation for more than 10-15 years. They must have made it part of the advertising package deal. So this concept is obviosuly not new, it's just that now magazine publishers admit it unabashedly, dying magazine industry and all.

YohjiAddict and modela like this.
  9. glamrockgal

glamrockgal Member

I lost my belief in fashion magazines. In my early ages I had no idea about paid stylings and recently learning some magazines stop talking about a brand (like they are dead) after the brand stop paying them for featured ads, I understood its only buying ads when I buy a magazine. I buy less magazines recently and most stylings are not that creative to me anymore. I still like some editorials and work of some stylists I religiously followed, even them are not very creative anymore. too much information on instagram also kinda keeps me away and all the influencers' paid partnership style posts make me unfollow.

so for now I check old editorials from 90s and 2000s for inspiration. the magazines with full paid one brand styling cover and editorials do not inspire me. IMHO style is not wearing head to toe same brand.

Benn98, GivenchyAddict and modela like this.