The Row Resort 2025 Paris

New Phoebe Philo references much? There are some really nice pieces here, but at the same time, as a collection, feels a bit pretentious and dated.

Is there any reason for the brand not to have a YouTube channel? lol

so tired of this fake hermès wannabe brand, GO AWAY
I'll take The Row over Nadege's Hermes any day of the week.

Of all the Phoebe Philo x Celine spin offs, The Row is far and away the best. In fact, I actually like it better than a lot of Phoebe's Celine looking back. The Olsens' did away with the annoying "arty" gimmicks that most other Philo imitators are obsessed with (see Blazy's Bottega) and almost always deliver beautiful, classy and well made fashion.

It's sad that no one does Helmut's minimal aesthetic nowadays. Or perhaps no one can

The Olsens' did away with the annoying "arty" gimmicks that most other Philo imitators are obsessed with (see Blazy's Bottega) and almost always deliver beautiful, classy and well made fashion.
But minimalism without the annoying 'arty' gimmicks is just minimalism. A lot of us like it minimal, but with a twist that makes it interesting. That's why we look back at Helmut Lang, his minimalism had subversive twists that prevented it from ever being boring. Or take Margiela's deconstruction. It's a touch of personality, an outlet of self-expression that distinguishes it from everything else and in my opinion, one of the ways of not looking like a clone when you are wearing minimalist pieces. I love those artsy touches, it makes fashion not just be a craft, but an artform, because I do want to wear art.

I personally love The Row (especially their shoes and bags are la crème de la crème in both design, quality, and wearability), but sometimes their clothes are just too minimal for their own sake. Whilst they are well made and luxurious, they do rely a lot on styling gimmicks. A Céline by Phoebe Philo piece, on the other hand, does all the talking.

I’m sure this is just a gimmick to create more buzz but seriously wish the phone ban became a widespread thing in fashion week, the way it still is in theater and other live events (opera, ballet, etc). It’s sooo disrespectful the way people block others’ view, not watch or bother to engage by focusing exclusively on their screen and on how they will curate their stupid ig story, zero regard for the creative team and whatever concept/theme/atmosphere they invested time and money to create.

Also the styledotcom posts are so fcking annoying and fanboy-sounding.. don’t even know why I read that.

That being said, The Row? hard pass, it’s always too celebrity line dying to be taken seriously, and the harder they try, the more I get ‘celebrity line’ so 🔄

It's sad that no one does Helmut's minimal aesthetic nowadays. Or perhaps no one can

Peter Do actually did and so did Phoebe, Haider Ackermann and several others last decade (I wouldn't consider The Row one of them, they are truly more basic). This is coming from someone who only wears subversive minimalism and I dare to say others have done Helmut's minimalism much better later on. They modernized it and made it more architectural and structured. His influence is enormous, but I'd buy a Peter Do 2019 asymmetrical skirt over any Helmut Lang Y2K skirt.

If they banned phones that would completely annihilate so many people's made up jobs lol which would be great because then that'd mean there'd be less of a focus on the spectacle of social media among both the actual designers themselves and the viewers. But that'd never happen because that is not where there's money to be made. Just saw L*uis P*sano tweet about how a take like that is so "wannabe elitist" ... lmfao the layers

p.s. they should BAN phones in movies. It's purely just etiquette that people disregard nowadays. Along with TALKING.

LOL at the phone ban! I spotted Julie Gilhart secretly filming there in that video. Interesting fact, she was the one who initially bought and launched The Row at Barneys New York at the time, after which the brand became kind of accepted by the 'higher echelons' of the industry (whatever that means). Kind of where their brand journey all started.

I also love the irony of labeling The Row as a Hermés-wannabe when the current CD at Hermès womenswear was recruited from The Row (instead of the other way around).

You don't need to consider The Row when it comes to innovation or pushing the envelope in any way, but whatever they're doing it's always extremely well executed and all in a 'very refined taste' aesthetic. They don't seem to rely a lot on the usual fashion show gimmicks (a phone ban to me is more common sense than anything else at this point TBH)

LOL at the phone ban! I spotted Julie Gilhart secretly filming there in that video. Interesting fact, she was the one who initially bought and launched The Row at Barneys New York at the time, after which the brand became kind of accepted by the 'higher echelons' of the industry (whatever that means). Kind of where their brand journey all started.

I also love the irony of labeling The Row as a Hermés-wannabe when the current CD at Hermès womenswear was recruited from The Row (instead of the other way around).

You don't need to consider The Row when it comes to innovation or pushing the envelope in any way, but whatever they're doing it's always extremely well executed and all in a 'very refined taste' aesthetic. They don't seem to rely a lot on the usual fashion show gimmicks (a phone ban to me is more common sense than anything else at this point TBH)
I wholly agree with all of your thoughts. If anything, The Row has seemingly overcome all challenges (celebrity designer acceptance, small business pandemic survival, new category introduction), and their clients quite literally show no objection to their prices.

The label is firmly established the THE quiet luxury motherbrand and the arbiter of taste –full stop. Even Philo's Céline wavered, shifting it's design POV several times (feminine minimalism from R10 - FW13, intellectual quirk from S14 - SS17, and considered / effortless luxury during the last collections).

New New Bottega could sell the exact same shirt as The Row for FW24, and The Row's client would prefer to purchase it from there (and likely motivated the higher price).

If anything, I can see The Row start to hold their collection images until they arrive in store –a Céline strategy from which they would surely stand to benefit. Client pre-orders would be unaffected. Stores sharing the images with clients in the boutique to place an order deepens the intimacy of the brand relationship and the exclusivity of the house.

You don't need to consider The Row when it comes to innovation or pushing the envelope in any way, but whatever they're doing it's always extremely well executed and all in a 'very refined taste' aesthetic.
100% agree. It is all done in an extremely tasteful and graceful way with very little, it's the epitome of elegance without too much fuss. I am a huge fan of their silhouettes and I honestly find some of their shoes truly unique. Every single season they offer excellence particularly in that department.

For all I know, The Row is a contemporary of Phoebe Philo, not a "spin off", because honestly, I fail to see what others find so similar other than both having created minimalist fashion. They are both responsible for that Zeitgeist and I find them both to have been the bastions of minimalism at the time, but I guess for people who don't really appreciate the movement, it all looks the same. I get it, because for me it would also be extremely difficult to differentiate a floral or sequined dress from x brand from ones from y brand.

Is The Row’s No Social Media Policy The Ultimate Act Of Quiet Luxury?​

BY HANNAH JACKSON
The Row showed their autumn/winter 2024 collection during Paris Fashion Week on Wednesday, but you couldn’t be faulted for not knowing about it. You probably haven’t seen any shaky front (or back) row videos on Instagram like you have from every other show, because the brand – the longstanding mascot of the quiet luxury movement – requested that guests refrain from taking photos or filming at the show. Therein lies the question: if you went to a The Row show and didn’t take a video… were you even there?

Vanessa Friedman, fashion director and chief fashion critic of the New York Times, posted the label’s ask of attendees on Twitter (now X:( “The Row looks forward to having you at the Winter 2024 Collection Presentation on Wednesday, February 28th at 12pm. We kindly ask that you refrain from capturing or sharing any content during your experience.” The disappointment was palpable, from fans and guests alike. “Oh. Ok,” Friedman added.

Nobody wants to be the person glued to their phone for an entire show, but capturing content straight from the runway has practical benefits. It can help buyers and editors identify which pieces they want to order for stores or shoots (the brand circumvented this gripe by giving guests notepads and pens to write their show notes), and videos capture how garments move in ways that photos cannot. But let’s be honest, another reason people take photos and videos is for the clout. Securing a seat at any show, especially for a particularly buzzy brand like The Row, is an exciting moment in any fashion fanatic’s life. When you get one, you want people to know about it.

As the old adage goes, money screams and wealth whispers, and there is absolutely no screaming at The Row, a brand that sells white T-shirts for £330. While only a slim margin of people are able to buy into it, the brand has managed to place a limit not only on who can afford the clothing, but who can see it. (That is, until the runway photos come out, though they are expected to be extremely delayed.)

Sure, anyone with the money can buy a Margaux bag. But scoring an invite to the show opens up a whole new level of exclusivity. In making that experience even more restrictive, they’ve managed to create the ultimate stealth wealth experience. The message is clear: if you’re going to The Row’s show, you shouldn’t seek validation by telling everyone about it. The knowledge that you were there should be enough.
Source: VOGUE.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
westernsoc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->