The Row Resort 2025 Paris

Yeah, I guessed so, I guess I just got confused with so many collections being released. I am always on top of all of their collections (including Resort and Pre-Fall), but somehow I missed this fact.
They tend to release collections in two "bursts" a year because of showing back to back during both Couture and RTW fashion weeks, which creates exhaustion and then droughts.

4 womenswear collections are released a year, but in a span of 2 groups of collections previewed within a 40 day period:

Fall released in January during couture; Winter follows 35-45 days later in February - early March. There's a 4 month break until Spring is shown in late June / early July during couture. There's also a larger gap between Fall Couture and Spring RTW than there is between the January Spring Couture shows and February Fall RTW. The Row's Summer collections show in September / early October (~60 day break between the previous season)

I can see them using an embargo strategy for the collections presented during RTW seasons as a way to even out the pacing.

Complaining about the no phone policy is ridiculous. Neither it is groundbreaking, nor it is a quiet luxury act. Is Berghain or a "gentleman club" full of strippers is quite luxury too now? I guess you can approach both from that side... The success of The Row and the number of their seasons, for me, makes it pointless to question the brand itself. It is definitely a success and will stay, whether they copy, are inspired too much, rehash or any other synonym.

no phone policy is so pretentious just like how people complain about too much phones in concerts. Its part of evolution, if people "back in the days" had these luxury they would do the same. Unfortunately they had to bring gunpowder and big machineries just to make photos in the old days.

I usually dont mind the row and commend how their brand evolved from a celebrity brand to an actual fashion brand. But this show was a bit messier than usual from them.

I am fortunate enough to have been in my 20s during Margiela's Hermès years and I recall that his first collection landed like a bomb. It was a shock because it was not what people expected from him. I think it was also criticised very badly by editors. But I remember saving up just to buy some things - a pair of shoes, a leather pendant, a sweater; but mainly because I worshipped Margiela.

Over time, Hermès by Margiela has become almost mythological, and I think deservedly so. It was ahead of its time, very obstinate in the presentation, the silhouette, the cuts, the models he used. The clothes had stature and substance. They may not have had immediate visual appeal, but they have enduring allure.

I think perhaps these qualities separate the work of designers like Margiela from brands like The Row. But of course, only time will tell.
Margiela at Hermes was very practical.
He was solving problem through clothes. He made clothes for bourgeoise. He made an elevated, sublimized version of that bourgeoise in the 90’s.
The 90’s and early 00’s was still a time when there were codes that his Hermes was so relatable. When you look at the shows, you have the feeling that you are looking at normal people rather than models.

But I still remember what Pierre Hardy said about Hermes. Hermes is a sportswear brand and the idea of activity informed everything. Margiela understood it.

I’ve always prefered Gaultier’s Hermes to Margiela maybe because I’ve always had the feeling that he designed for many different women than a particular type of women.

And keep in mind that in the 90’s Hermes was selling more « Carré » than bags. So those women in Margiela shows looked exactly like the women buying the carrés in stores.

The Row however is purely aesthetic.
The approach is less problem solving. I think Margiela succeeded in designing clothes the wearer forget about.
There’s a very conscious thing about wearing The Row. Saying « I’m wearing The Row » is more of a statement than « I’m wearing Hermes ».

I do enjoy that this thread has reached 3 pages without a single image from the collection aside from the short instagram clip that was taken down. Regardless of their design influences, they keep y'all talking and living rent free in your head.

Whomever said theyre merchandisers is correct. Thats why their base is so loyal. They are the CEO/editor/gallery-owner city look - in paris ny or seoul. Their eye is on the street and they just reproduce whats popular with all the detail sanded off. These clothes are like in the moment Brioni.

Its an easy one stop shop and thats why they do well. Again their eye is set on the street…. Karl said his inspiration for chanel was what people on the street wore so in not mad ar them for it. I just think its more an outfitter label than a fashion house because there are no risks. None of the propositions are theirs exclusively.

I think Martin for Hermes was a once in a lifetime match.

Last edited:
I am fortunate enough to have been in my 20s during Margiela's Hermès years and I recall that his first collection landed like a bomb. It was a shock because it was not what people expected from him. I think it was also criticised very badly by editors. But I remember saving up just to buy some things - a pair of shoes, a leather pendant, a sweater; but mainly because I worshipped Margiela.

Over time, Hermès by Margiela has become almost mythological, and I think deservedly so. It was ahead of its time, very obstinate in the presentation, the silhouette, the cuts, the models he used. The clothes had stature and substance. They may not have had immediate visual appeal, but they have enduring allure.

I think perhaps these qualities separate the work of designers like Margiela from brands like The Row. But of course, only time will tell.
Please dont mention Margiela and The row in the same sentence. A blasphemy.
The Row and COS, sure.

I would’ve preferred IG reels from the runway instead of this. Kind of looks like a Bode look book—and that isn’t a compliment

I'm fully in support of the phone ban and frankly wish more brands would do it but then, like MP said, a lot of people's bullsh*t jobs and flexes would disappear (and why was that say-nothing blue square account there anyway?)

and yes, @disco54 it really is a bit like Zoran and Shamask - which I've only encountered as ebay listings! Nice stuff but for a very specific type, feels like.

Beautiful photography and presentation. Sadly, the collection is too safe for me. I like when they take risks like in some collections last decade. I really understand why people here hate quiet luxury, it's killing fashion and the ability to dream, and honestly, I'm tired of it myself. The minimalist designers I always enjoyed, are far from from being simple, basic and boring, they always added a twist to their designs and took risks that made them stand out from the rest. Nowadays, everybody just seems to go the safe path. Fashion has really stagnated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
westernsoc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->