The smoke and mirrors of luxury fashion

imjustken

Reaction score
This isn't the most recent news but I haven't seen it being discussed here.

'LVMH's Italian Dior maker is being investigated for outsourcing its luxury manufacturing to Chinese-owned firms that allegedly exploit workers'

I never thought I'd see this come up but I'm definitely glad it did. I was outraged when I found that out years ago and that Vuitton makes shoes in low wage countries.

At the time, it prompted me to think that the whole of luxury was a scam and I still stand by that to some degree. The idea of luxury is oftentimes smokes and mirrors. But the products are still there and they often look beautiful, they're just not made in a good way, even if owners want you to think they are.

We could talk about LVMH and Hermès buying crocodiles farms in Australia, how those animals are treated, the real cost of a Hermès bag and the exploitation and pollution of leather production on which the whole fashion industry sits on. These are moral and ethical issues I thought nobody cared about and then this Dior lawsuit came up. Some hope at last.

There is also a Hermès lawsuit in which they are accused of trying to squeeze all the money that they can out of their customers under the guise of having to have a good enough taste to buy the products and in a way advertise them.

Last edited:
"Luxury" left the building a long time ago, it's become the "designer label" industry, centred around a core of owners/shareholders, in the business of selling logos, where head designers get passed around like football managers on precarious contracts, and every inch of the experience has the life sucked out of it by the deadening effect of elevating social media above every other value.

Not to say there weren't times in the past when a company would willingly degrade its own products and reputation, by entering into a hundred low-level franchises. I can remember those times, and I still find it hard to look at certain logos in the same way. But I suppose spreadsheets don't account for the loss of anything intangible.

Reactions: VBE

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lores
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->