Thoughts on Fashion Bloggers

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by seahorseinstripe, Jun 25, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

it's a good line...is there a book by that name...?
    there must be...
    sounds like a tony robbins seminar...
    ^_^

i think that's true with big things...
    but with silly things like this, it's easy to simply walk away without any permanent consequences...
    one doesn't need to crawl in the mud...

it's only fashion...
    no one's survival depends on it...
    i would say to those who are caught up in the mess...
    "get another job..."
    on that doesn't require you to be a whore...
    then you can look yourself in the mirror without any plastic surgery or face paint, etc...
    then you can be proud of who you are as a human being...

it feels better than any designer anything...
    i swear...

#501 softgrey, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited by moderator starrb81477: Nov 21, 2016
  2. Carmack

Carmack New Member

For me it is all about the fashion and less about the instant exposure. I personally write about fashion a lot in my work and also have a YouTube dedicated to the world of fashion and lifestyle. Though there is a lot of social media work that goes into the dedication I have to share my fashion visions, to me the actual stylings and looks always comes first.

I find it disheartening when people live through their phones and cannot enjoy the visual aspect of an optical based lifestyle. There is so much creativity that is offered through fashion and it should not be missed because someone is trying to show off or get their tweet in the fastest.

I live by the motto - share your art and creativity with the world but do not get lost in trying to outdo the next person. :)

#502 Carmack, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited by moderator DandyWarhol: Dec 4, 2016
  3. panthereose

panthereose New Member

I think fashion 'bloggers' as a trend is almost over. People don't read blogs as much as they once did - it's now all on instagram and is right there visually. It's not often that people click into their blogs even if they have one.

softgrey likes this.
  4. billiejbob

billiejbob Active Member

Spot on. Most fashion bloggers have already moved onto Instagram too. However, I've started unfollowing a lot of them because, like their blogs, their Instagrams are all the same. The 'Instafashion' market has become saturated with wannabes now who all do the same exact same poses...it's infuriating.

If anyone is serious about fashion critiques then I still think they come to forums like TFS where people are blunt and honest and don't care about 'showing off' their style etc.

5. iperlchen

iperlchen daisy in my lazy eye

That cracked me up :lol:

Came a bit late to this topic. Not surprised by the 2016 article by Sally Singer. Most fashion people are so incredibly two-faced and obsessed with their social standing. There are exceptions but most people take, take, take and rarely give back. It's just a vile environment. People hate on each other and hypocritically confess each other eternal love on social media, to show their (fake) 'good standing' and gain a few followers. It's sad, really... When again were creativity and self-expression encouraged and positively rewarded in fashion?

There is hope though, I just read a hilarious story about a hotel owner in Dublin 'exposing' a blogger who asked for a free stay in turn for exposure on her channels, which he denied and then published her shameless request :lol: The blogger community lashed back in support, and he decided to ban them all from staying at his hotel. His point is a valid one, "it puts into question the authenticity of influencer marketing, because she would have spoken nicely about the hotel only because she was getting it for free." Keep it coming! :magic:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...outube-vloggers-flooded-business-bad-reviews/

#505 iperlchen, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited by moderator : Jan 19, 2018
    softgrey likes this.
  6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Blasberg must've fast-talked Toledano into this deal, because for an uber-luxury brand like Dior, I'm not sure it's the wisest strategy. Unless the aim is to sell a lipstick here and mascara there.

Source: WWD.com

7. HeatherAnne

HeatherAnne Well-Known Member

Thanks for resurrecting the thread, it's funny how much this thread is now irrelevant as most of the bloggers have moved to YouTube/Instagram which is now a completely different, even more sponsored, beast.

8. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Active Member

I've been a fan of blogging ever since its ubiquity in the mid 00s, even though I didn't do much blogging myself. In the age of reactive think-pieces, with even easier access thanks to websites like Medium, I'm surprised that fashion bloggers haven't really taken an integrated approach between their Instagram profile and blog yet. Instead of polishing up your feed with tired street style looks and poses as well as fashion imagery from years past, they could've refined their writing skill and post a thought-provoking writing every now and then which they can also promote on their Instagram accounts. Even better now that the topics are endless due to the aforementioned reactive, call-out culture of today's Internet. But then again, in order to do so, they have to be able to...well, write.~

BetteT and Benn98 like this.
  9. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Puts Dior's decision to court Youtubers very much into perspective..........

Source: WWD.com

10. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Active Member

As a media planner, I found all these impressive numbers of engagements rather masturbatory. Yeah sure, people talk a lot about your brands, but do they buy anything you're trying to sell? Taking into account Instagram's increasingly vast demographic, where people from every social economic classification--a parameter that the Facebook's family of apps (Facebook, IG, Audience Network, Messenger) aren't still able to fully crack--could easily follow your page and comment on its posts, those engagements won't necessarily result in surge of sales. The report of market share will determine whether or not these influencers are worth employing because at the end of the day, these brands better spend their money on refining their conversion-based campaign, which includes creating a well-rounded site or partnership with e-commerce, than having a bunch of uniformed "personalities" disingenuously fawning over your products.

Benn98 and HeatherAnne like this.
  11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

But see, this has been precisely my contention from day one, especially where magazines were concerned. Explain the social media strategy to me in tangible monetary terms? So everyone wants their cover or story to attract either the most online traction and accumulate new followers in the process. Case in point, Rihanna. Her covers and features generate some of the highest celeb engagement numbers online, yet on the actual newsstand it doesn't measure up at all. In fact most of the time her covers undersell criminally. It's been explained to me that magazines don't really worry about the weak newsstand sales because their advertisers will only look at online reach anyway. The higher that number is, the more the magazine can charge for their ad space. But in the greater scheme of things it's still vague. Vogue may have 50 million followers, 1.2 million of those will most likely engage, but how do we know for a fact that said engagement will translate to actual sales even for the brand involved?

I don't deplore influencers and vloggers myself. True I don't care for them at all, but I can see why they're regarded as an advertising platform for some brands. They're like the bastardy offspring of a socialite and a fashion magazine in life form, with adoration and aspiration at its core. Some of them are actually rather crafty with the aesthetic they're trying to put out and the brands they partner with. I often encounter them at events and the parallel which I draw from all is an emphasis on aesthetic - which I imagine is important not only to set a tone, but to distinguish one from the other. I must also add that I've heard it first hand from an advertiser that they tend to have more success with micro influencers because they tend to have a stronger/more concise message and it's much easier to track engagement/sales.
    What I do deplore however is what they represent, which for me is the continued dumbing down of an entire generation. Because everything essentially is visual, and therefore there's hardly any need to be able to structure a grammatically correct sentence. That, and how some of their public image can be problematic at times, especially considering they're supposed to be aspirational.
    The fashion industry seems to have settled into the state of affairs and nowadays the distrust of bloggers, which used to be way more common 10 years ago, is virtually non-existent. Will be interesting to see how the fashion influencer will evolve, especially with Instagram as their de-facto castle. Because take them out of Instagram, and watch that multi-million digital empire come down like a pack of cards.