Thoughts on Fashion Bloggers

I agree with some and disagree with others with respect to the comments already posted.

I like that blogging allows us "little people" to contribute (as we see fit) to the world of fashion (or whatever a person chooses to blog about). Personally, I'm a little tired of being dictated to by the powers that be. Blogging brings power to the people.

As for the post about if you "put yourself out there", you should expect (embrace?) criticism -- nope, no way. To me, that is the equivalent of saying that unless you are perfect, you should hide yourself away from the the world. *Everyone* deserves to have the freedom of using the blogging platform. I would say that it is OK to constructively criticize, but since almost no one IMO has mastered the art of tact, I no longer think that even "constructive criticism" is OK. Besides, who has the right to judge others? And no one has to read what they don't like, as has been already posted.

I have a ps blog and don't expect anything from it -- no merchandise, no trips, etc. Mostly it is a hobby and, to a lesser extent, a way for my family and friends (who live far away) to "keep up" with me somewhat.

Are bloggers narcissistic? Maybe. Confident? For sure.

This was a very good idea for a thread topic and is quite enjoyable reading.

i agree with you in many things.
one example is that everyone has the right to blog, no matter who they are/what they do/if they're in the industry or even complete outsiders. i believe that this diversity can be very inspiring as people that come from various places and backgrounds see fashion and style in different colours. i always like hearing others' opinions, it's interesting and can make me discover new things to like.
however i believe that constructive criticism is a very good thing - it motivates you to develop and become better all the time. i'm personally very thankful for this kind of criticism although in the beginning it was hard for me to accept it.

this is a very interesting topic and i thoroughly have enjoyed reading the comments for this one. as for me i do not follow or read opinionated fashion blogs like Tavi’s or Bryanboy’s though i am not entirely opposed to them blogging about fashion, though i do follow streetstyle ones which i find more visually informative and inspiring. it educates the reader about style and trends and even fashion photography, without intentionally inviting ridicule on itself.

as for the more popular type of fashion bloggers who chronicle and comment to whatever fancies their noggin’, i find it pleasantly amusing and downright ludicrous at the same time. blogging has completely revolutionized fashion commentary, turning it into the primary form of fashion entertainment in the web; the most original fashion bloggers have all risen from anonymity to the forefront of fashion celebs all due to their uniqueness, and their intrepidity, posting with a devil-may-care attitude, posting away regardless of the validity of their comments to the eyes of the fashion industry... which is i think what draws thousands of fans to follow them, and the higher fashion personalities to adore them. i find this both positive and negative at the same time, since ofcourse, blogging is for everyone, and if everyone can express their love for fashion then all the better.

however, a few years ago it was still an astounding feat for fashion bloggers to be able to acquire such a huge audience just by relentlessly posting how crazy they were for this bag or that collection or that model, but now that fashion has entered the digital age, the supply has far outstripped demand when it comes to fashion blogs and clearly there is a form of elitism that has developed from having too much of the same thing; that a fashion blog can be deemed preposterous unless its relevance is proven, either by content or by popularity. and this again leads to the significance of a blog, whether the blogger is just an abject famewhore who only wants to gain popularity out of blogging through fashion (fame is the #1 perk with fashion blogging imo), or whether the blog really is worth the fuss because the content is good without the blogger making a spectacle of himself.

blame it on how the internet has expanded freedom of speech into monstrous proportions; even a dog can blog about fashion nowadays (and probably get famous for it). but at the end of the day i think it all boils down to the fact that fashion blogging is just an outcome of fashion being made more accessible in this age, which is always a pro for everyone.

@spottie
Constructive criticism goes with almost everything though. Art, literature, music, culinary endeavors, television, etc. So how can you say that people who blog shouldn't be allowed to be criticized constructively by other people? It sounds like a bit of a cheat to me. "Oh, I would like to have a blog, but I don't want the people to criticize it.. well unless they're giving me praise, well then yes I'm okay with that!" That reminds me of a small essay I read by Chuck Klosterman about how an author wrote a book about how the internet has negatively affected our society.(i.e. the anonymity, and scathing criticism people give) But Klosterman noted that the only reason the author wrote such book was because he himself received scathing criticism on his own website. If such thing had not happened, the author would've continued with the masses in conducting with anonymity and not written that book at all. Which makes me believe that's why you think bloggers shouldn't be criticized. Maybe you've been though something similar like that author?

Look there will always be people on the internet who are just out there to be just plain rude and mean, because they've gotten nothing else to do, and they find it gratifying to put other people down (visit YouTube, and you'll get my drift). Criticism can be beneficial because, it not only helps you build a tough skin when those types of people who only go out of their way to say just mean and horrible stuff, but it also helps you analyze and get better at what you're lacking in. When a person says, "Listen the reason I'm not interested in your blog, is because it's only content seems to be of you taking pictures of yourself in pre-conceived pretentious positions. I'm a person that's interested in a little more content than just pictures of yourself. And that's why I'm not interested in you're blog, and that could possibly why you're blog isn't as big as you want it to be."

To say that fashion bloggers shouldn't have to be given criticism just seems absurd and a bit of a cop out to me. Yet somehow fashion bloggers are allowed to still give their critique of a fashion show, or an editorial? Right, just as long as you don't critique my blog.

Even the most prestigious prints and online prints still receive criticism! Just recently The Sartorialist, Scott Schumann has been receiving flack for shooting more famous people as opposed to his older stuff of just regular people.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Well said! ^_^

For those who are looking for popularity (admittedly not something I really encourage anyone to look for, but ...) you should know, when you reach a certain degree of popularity there will be criticism. It's more or less a guarantee. Some receive it more than others, yes, however, in regards to everyone well-known that I can think of, I know people who like them and people who don't. Odds are if you're a true individual and not attempting to please everyone (which is essentially impossible), there will be people who not only dislike, there may also be people who absolutely detest you (and perhaps unfairly, in some cases, but that's how it goes). This can be a good thing in my opinion, if you receive much praise, a little criticism can go a ways to keeping you grounded. And as Winston Churchill quite wisely said, "You've got enemies? Good. That means you actually stood up for something in your life."

I'll try my best to make sense instead of sounding like I'm rambling about nothing. I have a blog (non fashion related) and it's rarely updated simply because most of the time I don't have anything important or meaningful to say. For the past couple of days I thought about adding new content which is kind of useless because no one reads it besides a 17 year old kid. Well from my angle-my blog which I overhauled last spring I mainly focus on my poetry and blogged about my perspective and briefly touched upon personal beliefs about poetry and writing in general.

Just like poetry the online world breathed life into it but also takes something away. Fashion blogging is similar to the online poetry movement. It helped to open a door, a barrier and allowed people to share something that they wouldn't or couldn't before the the world of blogging existed. In some strange way it gave a voice to the voice-free. But there is also a drawback. Over saturation or perhaps over population. Eventually most will get tired, bored, too busy or move on from the world of blogging or maybe I'm saying this because I blog sporadically.

I'm not quite sure how to explain this. Most of us (including myself) blog about something we love. And to love something there is no real requirement to understand it or the terms and technicalities behind them. Look, I have a blog about my poetry and I never took a poetry class. I'm not an expert and have no real interest to be an expert. And my experiences comes from years of writing and reading poetry.

Blogs are now and the future. I don't think they'll ever go away. It's ingrained in our culture.

I'll try my best to make sense instead of sounding like I'm rambling about nothing. I have a blog (non fashion related) and it's rarely updated simply because most of the time I don't have anything important or meaningful to say. For the past couple of days I thought about adding new content which is kind of useless because no one reads it besides a 17 year old kid. Well from my angle-my blog which I overhauled last spring I mainly focus on my poetry and blogged about my perspective and briefly touched upon personal beliefs about poetry and writing in general.

Just like poetry the online world breathed life into it but also takes something away. Fashion blogging is similar to the online poetry movement. It helped to open a door, a barrier and allowed people to share something that they wouldn't or couldn't before the the world of blogging existed. In some strange way it gave a voice to the voice-free. But there is also a drawback. Over saturation or perhaps over population. Eventually most will get tired, bored, too busy or move on from the world of blogging or maybe I'm saying this because I blog sporadically.

I'm not quite sure how to explain this. Most of us (including myself) blog about something we love. And to love something there is no real requirement to understand it or the terms and technicalities behind them. Look, I have a blog about my poetry and I never took a poetry class. I'm not an expert and have no real interest to be an expert. And my experiences comes from years of writing and reading poetry.

Blogs are now and the future. I don't think they'll ever go away. It's ingrained in our culture.

So beautifully put.
I too blog non fashion related content, mainly to showcase my visual art because I run a little online business and communicate with customers and clients in this way. I also blog because I love to share the work, sharing thoughts and ideas with others of a like mind.
I have been blogging for many years now, and I can fully identify with your comment regarding over saturation: there were points when I simply felt overcome, almost contaminated by similar content, which for some reason seemed to dilute the experience to a certain extent. I dare say the same goes for fashion bloggers, and all of those who begin to do so as a result of passion for the subject matter - be it professional or not.

Because I am not a fashion blogger, I do occasionally enjoy perusing them (perusing, what a word!), but tend to become a little phased after a while, for so many seem to cover the same content, exhibit the same style, influences, etc. Perhaps this is how it is supposed to be, but it tires me somewhat.

I used to enjoy fashion related imagery on Flickr, although again that daunting 'sameness' prevails.......pigeon toed, vintage clad girl in sun-shot wheat field holding up a spray of balloons.....pretty, inspirational, but so, so repetitive.

However, I am quite fond of blogging, more so because I do not expect or crave popularity, only to share and learn, to communicate. I prefer to keep a balance between business related content and the more 'everyday' aspects of my art. And once in a while the thrill of discovering a brand new gem by another blogger (fashion, art or otherwise) makes it all worth while. I have learned to take the rough with the smooth, so to speak. I wonder if we will ever 'come of age' with blogging.......I certainly have a different, more relaxed attitude to it now than say 5 years ago. I also wonder what our attitude to blogging/blog reading says about ourselves. Such a fascinating wilderness it is!

I agree with some and disagree with others with respect to the comments already posted.

I like that blogging allows us "little people" to contribute (as we see fit) to the world of fashion (or whatever a person chooses to blog about). Personally, I'm a little tired of being dictated to by the powers that be. Blogging brings power to the people.

As for the post about if you "put yourself out there", you should expect (embrace?) criticism -- nope, no way. To me, that is the equivalent of saying that unless you are perfect, you should hide yourself away from the the world. *Everyone* deserves to have the freedom of using the blogging platform. I would say that it is OK to constructively criticize, but since almost no one IMO has mastered the art of tact, I no longer think that even "constructive criticism" is OK. Besides, who has the right to judge others? And no one has to read what they don't like, as has been already posted.

I have a ps blog and don't expect anything from it -- no merchandise, no trips, etc. Mostly it is a hobby and, to a lesser extent, a way for my family and friends (who live far away) to "keep up" with me somewhat.

Are bloggers narcissistic? Maybe. Confident? For sure.

This was a very good idea for a thread topic and is quite enjoyable reading.

I agree, but this is a bit of a romanticized view. I try to be open minded when it comes to fashion blogs because I do like seeing how people outfit themselves in their everyday lives as a form of expression. And perhaps I am being too cynical (actually, I'm sure I am), but I think fashion blogging has become a showcase for delusional attention seekers & narcissists.

I find it all a bit overwhelming yet underwhelming at the same time. Most of the time I find it to be just one big trendy showcase full of overworked fashion. I suppose this is the beauty and the beast of the fashion world--keeping up with fun cultural moods/trends, yet remaining an individual, but the internet has added a whole new element of annoyance...it has completely sucked the life out of any personality or individuality and bastardized a lot of fashion.

...And I do think most bloggers are well meaning people just trying to be fashionable and express themselves. I suppose I really just don't like how fashion blogging has become a platform for fame and free stuff for something that should be lighthearted and fun.

@spottie
Constructive criticism goes with almost everything though. Art, literature, music, culinary endeavors, television, etc. So how can you say that people who blog shouldn't be allowed to be criticized constructively by other people? It sounds like a bit of a cheat to me. "Oh, I would like to have a blog, but I don't want the people to criticize it.. well unless they're giving me praise, well then yes I'm okay with that!" That reminds me of a small essay I read by Chuck Klosterman about how an author wrote a book about how the internet has negatively affected our society.(i.e. the anonymity, and scathing criticism people give) But Klosterman noted that the only reason the author wrote such book was because he himself received scathing criticism on his own website. If such thing had not happened, the author would've continued with the masses in conducting with anonymity and not written that book at all. Which makes me believe that's why you think bloggers shouldn't be criticized. Maybe you've been though something similar like that author?

Look there will always be people on the internet who are just out there to be just plain rude and mean, because they've gotten nothing else to do, and they find it gratifying to put other people down (visit YouTube, and you'll get my drift). Criticism can be beneficial because, it not only helps you build a tough skin when those types of people who only go out of their way to say just mean and horrible stuff, but it also helps you analyze and get better at what you're lacking in. When a person says, "Listen the reason I'm not interested in your blog, is because it's only content seems to be of you taking pictures of yourself in pre-conceived pretentious positions. I'm a person that's interested in a little more content than just pictures of yourself. And that's why I'm not interested in you're blog, and that could possibly why you're blog isn't as big as you want it to be."

To say that fashion bloggers shouldn't have to be given criticism just seems absurd and a bit of a cop out to me. Yet somehow fashion bloggers are allowed to still give their critique of a fashion show, or an editorial? Right, just as long as you don't critique my blog.

Even the most prestigious prints and online prints still receive criticism! Just recently The Sartorialist, Scott Schumann has been receiving flack for shooting more famous people as opposed to his older stuff of just regular people.

Perhaps I was unclear ... my point is that way too many people consider destructive criticism to be the same as constructive criticism. Until people learn how to criticize with tact, I'll forego the "constructive criticism". That said, I forego the praise, as well. I don't accept any commenting on my blog.

To be even more clear ... I consider this to be a good example of constructive criticism --> Have you considered (that with your coloring) you'd look amazing in purple? Destructive criticism (trying to be passed off as constuctive) example --> You look like Swamp Thing in that outfit.

I'm feel so-so about bloggers. On one hand I love to look at the pictures that bloggers post from magazines and of themselves. On the other hand, I think it's silly to sit on the corner or sometimes literally IN the road similar to a homeless person and take pictures. I wonder what goes through the minds of the blogger, the photographer, and the people passing that scene. I could understand if you were a model and getting paid to sit there, but if the outcome is only to put a picture up on your blog, well that's just silly to me. Yet, I enjoy those pictures...or at least what they're wearing in them. So that's my mixed feelings on this subject. Love it? Yes. And think it's pretentious at the same time.

How much can the cut, fashionista's bloggers get paid? just out of curious mind

I dont like the way it became a business. It used to be a fun and creative way to see what other people say, wear, buy... and actually leanr from others peoples mistakes too but now every blogger is endorsing something, just like celebrities... i find it very hard to trust a bloggers opinion or advice on buying something nowadays.

Honestly, I hate the level of narcissism that comes along with most forms of blogging. Fashion bloggers seem to be guilty of this 75% of the time.

I think the accusation that fashion blogging is pure narcissism is valid to an extent, but doesn't much of that apply to the fashion industry in general? For something as superficial as clothing it's hard to avoid, but as long as the essence of fun and enjoyment remains I'm not sure anyone's really losing out. As someone who's only just started blogging, I personally enjoy reading others mostly because they're essentially ongoing street style with commentary. The business element does lead to some moral gray areas though, especially with mutual back scratching in the industry.

I can't agree more with daniellat and blueorchid!
I am a blogger myself, but i don't take it so seriously. I like to post my own illustration, my thoughts or just how my day was. I have it for my own heart, but i am always looking foward to comments.
I don't think blogging should be a profession, and if it will become, not everybody can be one, because they need the knowledge. There are far more talented people who
deserve attention, then most of the bloggers that are popular. I personaly love to read Danny Roberts blog! He is so down to earth, talented and hard working artist!

So-so. I do read fashion blogs, but there are waaay to many.
Oh, and I definetely do not get the hype around bloggers. For example: Tavi.
I'm sure she is a nice girl but come on guys!

many blogs out there annoy me, just because they don't seem creative or original. also, i hate the words "rad" and "achingly cool" :D
but there are also some wonderful and unique blogs out there. it's something for everyone.
i have a blog just for two reasons
1) i work in a very male-dominated business and a blog is my outlet for talking about girly things like fashion, skincare, and makeup - rather than go out and spend money on buying them, i can just write about them rationally and it controls my impulses
2) i am very scatterbrained and i like to have a place where i can keep all my thoughts about fashion in one spot!
but i would never "pimp out" my blog or anything, i usually don't even link to it. it's mostly for myself! and i think that commenting on blogs when you don't really have something to say is pretty disingenuous.

of course, i am writing this in a nice mood. there are some bad times late at night when gnarlitude and sea of shoes just piss me off!!! but in general i try to keep an open mind and be glad for whatever makes people happy...

If it's up to me, everybody can have a fashion blog just for them to express. But what annoys me are those who think they have all the brains of the world and are so narcissistic! Those are specially kids, teenagers who have too many free time. I may be wrong, but as far as i saw, it's the way it is.

I think that everyone who wants a blog can have one, and I don't see why that shouldn't be a profession. After all, that would be the same as a writer for a magazine, but this time they work online for a blog.
And about what people post on blogs, well it's pretty much their choice, no? I mean we have the right to choose, and we choose what works the best for us. Maybe someone wants to read cheesy posts about things that don't matter at all - it's all about the choice, really :smile:

I agree with you, but blogging as a prefession, i think that is ok as long that person is educated. Cuz i agree with how some people think and how some say that it's unfair to those who spend years learning about fashion, going to school and killing them self on different works and then comes some blogger and gets popular, lets say over night. Try to put yourself in that possition.

I wouldn't mind that at all. If you're educated enough you can achieve that success yourself as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->