TIME Magazine: The All-TIME 100 greatest fashion icons

The photographer list is weird. Where's Francesco Scavullo? David Bailey? Bob Richardson?

And what about Halston? Walter Albini?

And seriously, what are Heidi Klum, Lady Gaga and Farrah Fawcett doing there...and like, replace Gisele by Charlotte Rampling...

It's a very popularity contest list...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people are missing the point of the list that includes Michelle Obama and Lady Gaga. It's not so much about what they've worn, but the influence they've wielded, and in a relatively short amount of time. No, Michelle Obama may not be at Jackie's level of "Style Icon", but that's not why she's included. She's included, most likely, because she's probably on par with Jackie in terms of the interest people show in what she wears, not to mention that she has completely broken the mold for what First Ladies of the US wear and how they approach dressing.

And Lady Gaga, despite what anyone wants to believe, most certainly is a presence in fashion. When was the last time that a pop star's wardrobe choices garnered such scrutiny? When was the last time the fashion industry at large showed such interest in a recording artist?

Seriously, it's like people see these names and forget that they actually have been influential in some way. Of course the list leaves off names, but it's not as if the names that were included aren't iconic on a global scale.

Olsen twins, Lady Gaga, Michelle Obama have no place on this list. They came too late and have either done too little or done things that had been done before them. I'm even tempted to exclude Patricia Field and Madonna, but I wasn't around when Madonna burst on the scene so I can't say but she's barely had any fashion influence since I've been on this planet.

Nicolas Ghesquire, Helmut Lang and Yohji Yamamoto need to be on this list. They've had immense influence on modern fashion. And Grace Jones too.
And in all honesty, if Lady Gaga is going to be on this list then so should Tupac, because his influence on clothing was huuuge when I was growing up.
But his influence was not ever, unless memory fails me, felt within the world of fashion. His look (and that of his contemporaries) influenced the streets, but it never reached in the opposite direction, to the runways.

Michelle Obama? Lady Gaga? Heidi Klum?

How about no?

Well said. :heart:

:lol:

Also Olsen twins.

Especially when you think of all the names they didn't include. I mean, Bill Cunningham spent a few decades changing the shape of fashion photography, but he's not nearly as 'iconic' as Michelle Obama or Heidi Klum. :rolleyes:

^ Would anyone outside of fashion's inner circles and the people who follow them know who Bill Cunningham is?

My guess would be no, in which case he's not as iconic as they are, is he?

I mean, being iconic does sort of imply an overall universal recognition, along with achievement, does it not?

I dont know who he is or what he did^
As for Gisele, Michelle Obama Gaga and Farrah they all deserve t be there, Gisele was instrumental int he rise of the Brazilian model invasion, Michelle Obama has drastically changed thw way we see 1st ladies and politicians fashion wise, Farrah Fawcett had her influence in both hair and also in the 1970s style thanks to her shows though Heather Locklear should also be there is Farrah is there, Gaga has also influenced alot of designers, fashion editors and the general public in terms of clothes, makeup and even accessories

^ Would anyone outside of fashion's inner circles and the people who follow them know who Bill Cunningham is?

I mean, being iconic does sort of imply an overall universal recognition, along with achievement, does it not?

If we're going to limit the list to those known "outside the fashion circles" then half of that list would need to be removed.

If we're going to limit the list to those known "outside the fashion circles" then half of that list would need to be removed.
Really? There's maybe a total of 20 names on that list that I think could leave people scratching their heads unless they follow fashion. I'd say a solid 75-80% of that list is made up of globally recognized names that people both inside and outside of fashion would recognize.

^ I agree. I also think that even if people don't instantly recognize a designer or photographer's name people can still recognize their work. Like, some people have never heard of Marc Jacobs, but they recognize his work for LV which makes him an icon. It's not necessarily just about name recognition.

Gisele and failure in the same sentence? I don't think so.

Why does she get the side eye around here sometimes? Because she is also known as a lingerie model? the kiss of death to some around here...? :lol: I understand not everyone is a fan of her look or work but you simply can't deny her accomplishments/status. Over 1000 covers all by age 30. Over 100 Vogue covers all by age 30. 3 American Vogue covers in one year at age 18/19. A Rolling Stone US cover at age 19 (the 4th and last model in history to get one). (all post supermodel era). Heck her last name is not even needed anymore for the most part. just to name a few...

Actually, I think more people know of Bill Cunningham now because of his documentary Bill Cunningham New York (which was fantastic btw!). I wonder if Time didn't want to put him on the list because his work is for The New York Times, a rival of theirs. If so that's a shame, he's done a lot for street fashion photography (the original... way before The Sartorialist. Although Scott pioneered it in a blogging form).

some more people missing: Peter Lindbergh, Veruschka, Lauren Hutton, Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor and Marlene Dietrich

i think it's odd that Christy Turlington is not on the list since she's actually mentioned in the intro of the Models section..

:angry: OK so not to turn this into a Heidi vs the world hijack, but some of the comments leave me baffled. Heidi definitely is not a HF model, we all know that. But some people are under the impression that she's never walked a real runway show outside of Victoria's Secret, that she's not a "real" model - and frankly that's just plain false.

But aside from that, her involvement in Project Runway brought fashion into the mainstream moreso than any past fashion shows that have attempted to do so (House of Style, for example from the 90's with Cindy Crawford). Project Runway made accessible an industry that most people didn't really think about. Fashion became more vernacular in popular culture, alongside music and movies. I'm not saying all the credit goes to PR, but it has had a major impact on the industry. And that deserves praise, and the people associated with it deserve the praise too. Nina, Michael and Robbie Meyers of Elle, who originally had the insight to pair up with this new show, should be on this list.

Applications to the fashion program have increased by more than 20 percent since 2004 (to 903 this year), and the number of freshmen who declare fashion as their major at the end of their first year has more than doubled since 2001 (to 187 last year). Because of the increased enrollment in the department — 489 students in 2005 compared with 291 in 2001 — fashion is now the largest major at Parsons.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/20/fashion/thursdaystyles/20ROW.html

If this isn't a major contribution to fashion, then I don't know what else would be considered worthy of mentioning. And the fact that there have been at a handful of new fashion shows emulating PR shows what kind of influential power it holds and its continued contribution to the industry. Whether people like to laugh it off as just a reality show akin to how American Idol is hit or miss with bringing new singers to the limelight - that's personal opinion. I think the concrete evidence, such as increased enrollment in fashion schools, proves otherwise.

I do not question Heidi's mention on this list. And for people to pass off quips such as "well if Heidi then Tyra might as well be on here too" - really? :shock: Tyra, of ANTM fame whose show is more a showcase of her over-the-top ego than it is an actual a launching pad for models? I don't think it needs to be explained why that show & Tyra, as well as Heidi's German version of it, are contributing very little (if anything) to the fashion industry. And that is precisely why Tyra is left off this list, and rightly so. To pair Tyra/ANTM with Heidi/PR, IMO, is a cheap shot. The two are nowhere near the same caliber of achievement and contribution to the fashion industry.

A list which chooses to include Lady Gaga over Marilyn Monroe is a list I hope they had fun compiling, but one where I'll be turning the page over... to see the nth fashion editorial riffing on Marilyn's look or a beauty shoot recreating her famous make-up.

It's no slight on Lady Gaga to suggest that time has yet to tell how well her own particular influence will weather the years. We soon could find ourselves looking back, at how she grabbed headlines for a short while, but couldn't keep up with newer stars. Who knows? But on a list that proclaims 'all-time' icons, to overlook the actress with the most iconic look of all, who has remained a strong visual influence for over half a century, seems strange.

:angry: OK so not to turn this into a Heidi vs the world hijack, but some of the comments leave me baffled. Heidi definitely is not a HF model, we all know that. But some people are under the impression that she's never walked a real runway show outside of Victoria's Secret, that she's not a "real" model - and frankly that's just plain false.

But aside from that, her involvement in Project Runway brought fashion into the mainstream moreso than any past fashion shows that have attempted to do so (House of Style, for example from the 90's with Cindy Crawford). Project Runway made accessible an industry that most people didn't really think about. Fashion became more vernacular in popular culture, alongside music and movies. I'm not saying all the credit goes to PR, but it has had a major impact on the industry. And that deserves praise, and the people associated with it deserve the praise too. Nina, Michael and Robbie Meyers of Elle, who originally had the insight to pair up with this new show, should be on this list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/20/fashion/thursdaystyles/20ROW.html

If this isn't a major contribution to fashion, then I don't know what else would be considered worthy of mentioning. And the fact that there have been at a handful of new fashion shows emulating PR shows what kind of influential power it holds and its continued contribution to the industry. Whether people like to laugh it off as just a reality show akin to how American Idol is hit or miss with bringing new singers to the limelight - that's personal opinion. I think the concrete evidence, such as increased enrollment in fashion schools, proves otherwise.

I do not question Heidi's mention on this list. And for people to pass off quips such as "well if Heidi then Tyra might as well be on here too" - really? :shock: Tyra, of ANTM fame whose show is more a showcase of her over-the-top ego than it is an actual a launching pad for models? I don't think it needs to be explained why that show & Tyra, as well as Heidi's German version of it, are contributing very little (if anything) to the fashion industry. And that is precisely why Tyra is left off this list, and rightly so. To pair Tyra/ANTM with Heidi/PR, IMO, is a cheap shot. The two are nowhere near the same caliber of achievement and contribution to the fashion industry.

You are right, the two -Heidi and Tyra- are no where near the same caliber of achievement and contribution to the fashion industry because as annoying as Tyra can be, her accomplishments far surpasses that of Heidi. Let's not forget who actually broke out of the modeling industry and brought the fashion world to main stream television. Yes, Cindy did it with House of Style but that didn't last. When ANTM hit the media, millions and millions of people were suddenly exposed to the fashion world, whether or not what the show portrayed was reality or not, it still brought awareness. Suddenly people knew who designers were, models, industry professionals etc, then you had millions of young girls all wanting to be models. Part of this wasn't just because the show made the industry out to be luxurious, but also because the girls wanted to be just like Tyra! A woman who once was just a model but transcended that to become a business mogul. She inspired millions of girls and made them believe that you don't always have to go the business/medical/legal route to become multimillionaires or to be uber successful. It showed them that models are not all dumb and you don't have to be perfect to be a part of the fashion industry. It was after ANTM was a major hit that Heidi decided to look into television and having her own show. The two shows exposes two different areas in the industry that can't really be compared anyway. To say that ANTM contributes nothing to the industry is completely false. The models from the show may not go on to become top HF models but they make good living as commercial girls, some even do well as HF editorial girls... Tyra's fame was also from her period in HF though she blew up doing work for VS. SHe had to put up with Naomi at a time when only one black girl at a time was allowed to be successful. Yet she was still able to accomplish quite a bit. When has Heidi ever worked as a serious HF model, tho it would have been much easier for her as opposed to Tyra? Do I need to remind anyone what Karl Lagerfeld said a few years ago about her? I'm not saying he was right to say so, nor do I dislike Heidi, I just feel like some people are either choosing to ignore what Tyra did or just don't know.

Oh and you also mentioned a handful of shows emulating PR shows the kind of influential power it holds, do I need to make a list of all the shows that were copied from ANTM?? Everything from the Model Agency to Janice Dickinsons whateveritwas to Make Me a Supermodel and the list goes on and on. Also, let's not forget that the show is a global franchise...

I dont know who he is or what he did^
As for Gisele, Michelle Obama Gaga and Farrah they all deserve t be there, Gisele was instrumental int he rise of the Brazilian model invasion, Michelle Obama has drastically changed thw way we see 1st ladies and politicians fashion wise, Farrah Fawcett had her influence in both hair and also in the 1970s style thanks to her shows though Heather Locklear should also be there is Farrah is there, Gaga has also influenced alot of designers, fashion editors and the general public in terms of clothes, makeup and even accessories

More like those fashion editors and designers influenced Gaga :rolleyes:
I'm not gonna get into it, but Gaga would be complete sh** if it weren't for Grace Jones.
Anyways, I can't believe Paolo Roversi isn't included :shock:

lol at mophead Heidi Klum making the list. Don't get me started on Lady Gaga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->