Timothee Chalamet

Actor Timothee Chalamet attends 'Chiamami Col Tuo Nome (Call Me By Your Name)' photocall at De Russie Hotel on January 24, 2018 in Rome, Italy.

hbgPEoq.jpg

OlX4MoF.jpg

XAbn62B.jpg

hpHe7DH.jpg

laineygossip.com​

Actor Timothee Chalamet attends the 'Call Me by Your Name' Premiere at UGC Cine Cite des Halles on January 26, 2018 in Paris, France. (

3fDGMpI.jpg

QBP1NE8.jpg

mJfjmR4.jpg

timotheechalamet.net​

The kid looks fantastic and deserves all the prizes that may come his way. He was exquisite in " Call me by your name".

It's official: I have a crush on him :crush:
He's so handsome and clothes look amazing on him.

I was at the Premiere in Paris
Didn't like the movie, disappointed..but Timothée was really good and deserves his Oscar nomination for sure
After the screening there was a Q&A: he spoke a lot and in french! Pretty impressive ! We can see how much mature and intelligent he is when he speaks. Also, he seemed really happy to be here and was funny as well.

Definitely have a crush on him :blush:

I'm betting he'll get another Oscar nomination when Beautiful Boy comes out this year, in which he'll play a meth/heroin addict. I've read the novels (based on a true story -- one told from the father's point of view, and one from the son's) and the story is riveting and heartbreaking.

Timothee Chalamet attends the London Film Critics Circle Awards 2018 at The Mayfair Hotel on January 28, 2018 in London, England.

1Bzw8nO.jpg

tggvLgq.jpg

zimbio.com​

Actor Timothee Chalamet at the Virtuosos Award Presented By UGG during The 33rd Santa Barbara International Film Festival at Arlington Theatre on February 3, 2018 in Santa Barbara, California.

6m3USCs.jpg

AbiIbOl.jpg

8FHsIOx.jpg

EG4uLum.jpg

zimbio.com​

Saoirse Ronan (L) visits the Dom Perignon Lounge after receiving the Santa Barbara Award from Timothee Chalamet at The Santa Barbara International Film Festival on February 4, 2018 in Santa Barbara, California.

JV61D4Q.jpg

dailymail.co.uk​

Actor Timothee Chalamet attends the 90th Annual Academy Awards Nominee Luncheon at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on February 5, 2018 in Beverly Hills, California.

AaAB3h5.jpg

hXOC5Sv.jpg

zimbio.com​

VHLyLdW.jpg

xJH9YyR.jpg

HFwYSF5.jpg

How to Come of Age Onscreen? Saoirse Ronan and Timothée Chalamet Know

“Want to know what I call him?” Saoirse Ronan asked, pointing at Timothée Chalamet, who had just joined us at the table and was shrugging off his coat. “Pony,” the actress said, “Because he’ll come up to Greta and me and nuzzle us.”

“Greta” is the screenwriter and director Greta Gerwig, making it a high-class stable: All three are nominated for an Oscar at this year’s Academy Awards. And as if on cue, Mr. Chalamet lowered his head like a baby foal and nestled it gently beneath Ms. Ronan’s jaw. “It’s quite disarming,” she said with a laugh. “My Pretty Pony!”

Born to Irish parents in the Bronx but raised in Ireland, Ms. Ronan, 23, began acting professionally at 7. Her breakthrough came in the film adaptation of Ian McEwan’s novel “Atonement” when she was 13. Critics were awed by her performance, and she was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actress, making her one of the youngest nominees in history. In 2015, her portrayal of a homesick Irish girl in the period drama “Brooklyn” won her a second nomination, this time in the best actress category. She made her Broadway debut the following year in Ivo van Hove’s production of “The Crucible” by Arthur Miller.

This month, Ms. Ronan won a Golden Globe and was nominated for her third Academy Award, for best actress, in “Lady Bird,” Ms. Gerwig’s bittersweet coming-of-age film, in which Ms. Ronan plays a compellingly eccentric senior at a Catholic girls’ school. The film received five Oscar nominations, including best picture and best director for Ms. Gerwig.

Mr. Chalamet, 22, also appears in “Lady Bird,” as a very bad boyfriend of Ms. Ronan’s character. But it is for his heartbreaking turn in Luca Guadagnino’s coming-of-age film “Call Me by Your Name,” about a summer romance between two young men, that Mr. Chalamet has won raves, as well numerous nods on the awards circuit, including an Academy Award nomination for best actor.
Continue reading the main story
Oscars 2018
Complete coverage of the movie awards season from our reporters, editors and critics.

Like Ms. Ronan, Mr. Chalamet was born in New York. He graduated from Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts in 2013. Along with roles on the television series “Homeland” and in the films “Men, Women & Children” and “Interstellar,” he starred in the Off Broadway production of John Patrick Shanley’s play “Prodigal Son,” for which he won the Lucille Lortel Award for lead actor in a play.

Over lunch this month, two days after the Golden Globes ceremony and two weeks before the Academy Award nominations were announced, at Il Cantinori restaurant in Greenwich Village (shrimp scampi for Ms. Ronan and roast salmon for Mr. Chalamet), the pair discussed the eternal lure of coming-of-age films, the nostalgia (and worries) of young people, #MeToo on the red carpet and needing a break.

PHILIP GALANES Favorite coming-of-age films. Go!

SAOIRSE RONAN “Dirty Dancing.” Is that coming-of-age?

PG Why not? Baby becomes an adult.

SR I love the way the women support each other. And “Rebel Without a Cause.” There’s a romance there, but it feels more platonic. I didn’t realize, until “Lady Bird” came along, how starved we are for female coming-of-age stories that don’t revolve around a girl being validated by romance.

TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET The one that took hold of me was a book, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” which was made into a movie later. It’s written in a way that only a young person could speak. And the unabashed lostness of the protagonist …

SR Exactly. I love them because you can see elements of yourself in them.

PG When I was a kid, coming-of-age films — like “Pretty in Pink,” “The Breakfast Club” — normalized the march to adulthood. They made it safe. And I was a worrier.

SR So are we. We’ve talked about that before.

PG What do you worry about?

TC When you get to act in things as good as “Lady Bird” or “Call Me by Your Name,” you’ve got a huge responsibility to do them truthfully. So that young people watching can say, “I see myself on that screen!” What if I can’t do it?

SR Every time I act, I worry: Can I do it again?

TC That’s always at the forefront of my brain.

SR And every time I finish a job, I feel like, “Oh God, I got away with that one.” Plus, I’m a people-pleaser. I don’t like upsetting anyone. But I’ve gotten to a point in my work where I need to stand firmly with decisions I’ve made or feel free to go in another direction — even if everyone around me is telling me to do the opposite. It’s hard.

PG Let me ask about acting. You both have incredibly expressive faces, transmitting complex feelings in a nonverbal way. Do you know how you do it? Is it innate or craft?

SR Well, there’s definitely a practice. The more you do it, the more open you are to accessing feelings. But you know, sometimes you see little kids onscreen, and it’s just amazing how open and uninhibited they are.

PG I’m thinking of you — and your eyes — in “Atonement.”

SR And I hadn’t had any training or even life experience at that stage.

PG Are you better on the 13th take, Timothée?

TC As Armie [Hammer, Mr. Chalamet’s co-star in “Call Me by Your Name”] says, “I wear my heart on my sleeve.” That argues for innateness, I guess. But the greatest lesson for me in drama school was failing, time after time. In my sophomore year, I struggled with this one scene. I never did it right. It was always bad.

PG What was it?

TC It was from “The Graduate.”

PG You were playing Dustin Hoffman?

TC I was playing Benjamin. But as bad as I was, there was a release that came with the failure. It let me stretch a little more, try something else. It didn’t make me any better necessarily, but it gave me more freedom in my head.

SR Some stage actors have difficulty when they come back to film. The camera can paralyze them. But I love knowing that the camera is watching me and what it needs to see. That’s when craft develops. But I still come back to that childlike sensibility when I act — to be completely in it and give myself up to it.

TC One of my favorite scenes in “Call Me by Your Name” is the morning after Elio and Oliver have made love for the first time, and there’s this weird tension that develops. There was some dialogue, and we tried it a few times. Then we tried it without the lines. And it works so much better that way because it’s unclear. It invites the viewer to figure out what the characters are going through.

SR My favorite, favorite thing is not to speak.

PG Walking home, after your films, I started humming “Sugar Mountain,” this old Neil Young song about a boy who can’t go to his favorite club anymore because it’s just for teenagers, and he’s turned 20. Your films let you feel nostalgic for childhood.

TC You know what’s weird? My favorite moment in my film is one I shouldn’t be able to relate to: when Michael Stuhlbarg, who plays my father, says, “As for our bodies, there comes a time when no one wants to come near them.” That moment shatters me.

SR What these films have in common — even that scene — is that each moment is so big for the young person experiencing it that they don’t have time to process it properly before it’s gone. That’s the heartbreaking thing about childhood. It’s only at the end you go, “Oh, I wasn’t ready for this to be over yet.”

PG There are two uncannily parallel scenes in your movies: Your characters are on emotional overload — Elio has just said goodbye to his lover, Lady Bird has lost her virginity to Timmy’s character — and they both fall apart, in cars, with their mothers.

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/...-chalamet-lady-bird-call-me-by-your-name.html
nytimes.com

^ Great interview! Thanks for posting. (Btw, Timothee is on Town & Country's list of 50 nice guy bachelors, and it mentioned his high school sweetheart was Lourdes Leon.)

YC3Lyyc.jpg

6s9qSpH.jpg

Timothee Chalamet attends the Hollywood Reporter's 6th Annual Nominees Night at CUT on February 5, 2018 in Beverly Hills, California.

Od6EGUx.jpg

5ky5atj.jpg

8ZJlj1J.jpg

Actor Timothee Chalamet is seen arriving at the 2018 National Board of Review Awards Gala at Cipriani 42nd Street on January 9, 2018 in New York City.

AXbTGga.jpg

Timothée wearing Coach New York League Backpack in dark denim at his hotel in New York | January 9, 2018

QLy7OT0.jpg

zimbio.com, wireimage.co.uk, chalametstyle.tumblr.com​

D5lXcBk.jpg

vman.com, timothee-chalamet.net
Timothée Chalamet by Frank Ocean

Timothée Chalamet talks to one of his inspirations, Frank Ocean, about film, music, and the art that influences them.
February 6, 2018

Photography: Collier Schorr
Styling: Robbie Spencer
Text: Devin Barrett

Collections
Fall 2018 Shows
Spring 2018 Shows
Instagram
Fall 2017 Shows
Popular Content
Get The Look: Drake
Most shared
Zayn Malik Talks His New Album, Inspiration, and How He Keeps His Cool
Levi Dylan is the All-American Boy
The Weeknd: Willing and Abel
Timothée Chalamet by Xavier Dolan
Search Results

Home
Fashion
Culture
Music
Magazine
V

Collections
Contributors
Buy VMAN
Info
RSS Feed

Timothée Chalamet talks to one of his inspirations, Frank Ocean, about film, music, and the art that influences them.
February 6, 2018

Text: Devin Barrett

This article appears in the pages of VMAN39, available on newsstands February 22. Pre-order your copy now at vmagazineshop.com.

“Elio, Elio, Elio,” hums Timothée Chalamet’s character in Luca Guadagnino’s romantic dreamscape Call Me By Your Name. Over the course of a fleeting yet formative summer in early 1980s Italy, Elio falls in love with an older visiting houseguest, Oliver (Armie Hammer). Based on André Aciman’s beautiful novel of the same name, the film illustrates a narrative of grueling desire and devastating passion. Chalamet also stars in Greta Gerwig’s lauded directorial debut, Lady Bird. As the youngest Oscar nominee for Best Actor in nearly 80 years, Chalamet is redefining the role of the leading man. And, as Frank Ocean finds out, Chalamet isn’t afraid of failure.

FRANK OCEAN Hello? This Timothée?

TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET Yeah, man. This is so exciting. It is an honor to speak to you, man. I’m such a huge fan. This is going to be a real test to keep my voice level and keep this as normal of a conversation as possible [laughs].

FO You got this. Where are you, man?

TC I’m in L.A. I’m from New York, but I’m here right now for the film, doing the last legs of promotion.

FO I hear you. I’ve been in your hometown the past few weeks. I’m furnishing my apartment here, sticking out the cold and paying my dues to become a New Yorker, at least part time. Do people really call you Timothée all the way?

TC My whole life I was Timmy and then as I got older, it seemed like Timmy was youthing me out, so it’s been Timothée since. I tried Timo and Tim, too. The real pronunciation is Timo-tay, but I can’t ask people to call me that; it just seems really pretentious.

FO That’s cool. Where is that from?

TC My dad is from France, so it’s a French spelling, but it seems like too much of an obligation to ask people to call me that.

FO That’s sweet. Very selfless. Has anyone on the street called you Elio yet?

TC That’s been happening. Though riding the 2 train or taking the M12 bus around the city, that hasn’t changed; I guess people don’t really give a **** in New York. I actually get more people stopping me for Lady Bird, and going, “Is that the douchebag from Lady Bird?” So that’s awesome. I’ve seen certain actors, or musicians like you, keep a sense of integrity and mystery. That’s ultimately what’s been really awesome about Call Me By Your Name and Lady Bird as an introduction [to me]: I was up for bigger, more commercial projects, but I didn’t get them. They just didn’t choose me, and it’s been gratifying, coming from more of a place of artistry and not just pure exposure.

FO Those films are excellent. I just finished Call Me By Your Name, the novel, yesterday, for more insight before we talked. It’s a really special role and an opportune, appropriate time right now in popular culture. I think it’s also good for you that this is your opening song. It’s such a proper foundation, to do roles like these that have so much heart and vulnerability in the very beginning, completely boutique or small, but on the lips of so many. Congratulations for the work and its effect and how it’s made people feel; it’s tremendous. Tell me about growing up in New York. I’m assuming this is you in high school, the statistics rapper Timmy T.

TC Oh, ****. [Laughs.] I can’t believe you saw the statistics video. That’s embarrassing.

FO [Laughs.] I saw it on Ellen. I figured if Ellen’s talking about it, then it’s fair game. Tell me about that time.

TC That’s true. I went to LaGuardia, a performing arts high school. Without being “that guy that enjoyed high school too much,” a trope I don’t want to fall into, it was a really amazing place to go to school. I got to work creatively— I’m an over-exuberant guy and I can go a mile a minute, so having a place to channel that energy was really great.

FO What should I see while I’m in New York? I still just Google “top five places to get pizza.”

TC Mud is one of my favorite coffee shops, and Tompkins Square Bagels makes the best bagels in my opinion. East Village is my favorite neighborhood. Where are the good L.A. spots?

FO The place that I go to as soon as I get off the plane usually is Ohana, this little Hawaiian Korean BBQ spot in a Studio City strip mall. It’s been the same staff for the past 10 years. There are [photos of] struggling actors on the wall in frames and they have the best chicken potstickers, grilled fish, and short ribs in L.A.

TC A year ago, I was in Hell’s Kitchen, [eating] bacon, egg, and cheeses, kicking it at my buddy Will’s—tonight I’m going to the SAG Awards. It’s been a nonstop, weird-*** six months—a lot of fun, but trippy, too.

FO What’s the fit going to be for the SAG Awards?

TC It’s going to be...“Please don’t touch my Raf, please don’t touch my Raf” [laughs].

FO We’re giving Raf [Simons] this evening. I love it.

TC I’m such a fan boy. [Being involved] with fashion has been really fun, just as a fan. I don’t want to work with a stylist or anything. I’ve been following designers like Raf, Haider Ackermann, Hedi Slimane—these guys are like rock stars. They’re artists.

FO Yeah, they’re artists. There’s this really great connection between all these [creative] fields. You’re finding your own creativity and being excited about that; it’s cool. I’ve been into photography for six or seven years. It’s almost like this quiet search for joy. It actually provides me with the same feeling that making a record does: imagining or dreaming about something, and then it being in the real world.

TC “Dreaming a thought that could dream about a thought. / That could think of the dreamer that thought. / That could think of dreaming and getting a glimmer of God.”

FO [Laughs.] Don’t do that. When you’re on set, are you method acting?

TC I try to be super careful. The danger is you can end up focusing more on what’s going on off-camera than on-camera. You don’t want to be entertaining for the sake of being entertaining. The work should be the work. If it resonates, it’s going to resonate, and then people are naturally curious about how you got to that destination. It can’t be about how you’re getting to it.

FO People say you get to do some movies for yourself and others you do for the studio: how do you feel about making movies that aren’t as full to the brim with emotion and real feeling as the last two movies you made? Like, how do you feel about making Transformers?

TC As Kanye put it, Guillermo del Toro made Pacific Rim and that’s one of his favorite movies. His latest movie, The Shape of Water, is amazing. Christopher Nolan is tied with Paul Thomas Anderson [as] my favorite director. If one of those auteurs has a $200 million film and wants me to be a part of it, **** yeah.

FO It seems like a good change of pace sometimes to do physically demanding films—the space, superhero, aggressive, big-budget action films.

TC Exactly. The project I’m jumping into is exactly that. I’m going to put on 25 pounds—I’m like a skinny little **** right now. Listen, I saw that one of your favorite films is The Master.

FO Yes. Joaquin [Phoenix], man.

TC Dude, that is my favorite actor. There’s five or six artists I’m really trying to follow in the footsteps of creatively. I get the opportunity to be on the phone with one right now [laughs], but on the acting side, Joaquin is number one for me.

FO The time period of 20th Century Women seems close to Call Me By Your Name, that ’80s time period. Did you get into these past eras of fashion and **** when you were doing the film?

TC Absolutely. I’m a total “nostalgist” and Call Me By Your Name’s director, Luca, grew up in that time period. In fact, the book is set in ’88 and he changed it to ’83 because he said that was the year in your life you can hear music from. In the movie, there’s Talking Heads, The Psychedelic Furs, or just the Bach or Beethoven—those are all songs from Luca’s youth, what it was like for him in Italy in the ’80s. Also, in 1988, the AIDS crisis had already hit and that was part of the reasoning for making [the film] a little bit earlier too, so it wasn’t as intense, and could be a little more utopic. What a tragedy for movies now that if you want to be contemporary, phones have to be involved, with texting and FaceTime. I don’t know if [the characters in] Call Me By Your Name would ever have that relationship if there was passive-aggressive commenting and “likes.” They actually had to talk, figure each other out, and struggle with their emotions.

FO And they had to wait to talk. You couldn’t just talk instantly, which I think is sometimes good for the conversation. I want to talk to you too [about] learning languages, in Call Me By Your Name. Can things be expressed or even felt differently, because of the language?

TC When I act in French, it’s really shocking to me how it feels more grounding than acting in English. I grew up speaking French with my dad, but it’s not a language I have as much command over, so when I speak or act in French, the words mean so much to me; I’m so focused. So much of Call Me By Your Name is silent and plays out physically; there’s kind of a push and pull. Acting in Italian, I’m really winging it: memorizing how lines sound phonetically, just trying to get the intonations and mannerisms right, so the lines ring true to Italian audiences.

FO When you were speaking Italian, was there somebody on set to call you out if it felt fake?

TC We had someone on set that could correct me. Same for [playing] the piano and guitar. I did a movie called Beautiful Boy this year that involved a lot of drug sequences, and that also felt very important to get right. I had a consultant on set for that.

FO You had a consultant for the drugs?

TC Exactly. It felt like a big responsibility to get that right. The movie is about addiction, and to get the actual using wrong would betray anyone’s experiences walking that path. It was very helpful.

FC I could see how it would be. You have the opportunity to learn all these things—seems like the best profession in the world for the curious spirit and mind.

TC I was in college for a little bit and it felt like a clear decision to not [finish]; it was scary because I didn’t want to rob myself of growing as a human. But it’s been the exact opposite: going from set to set, working with creative, open people, having mentors rooting for you. There’s education within that, I guess.

FO That [Call Me By Your Name] soundtrack is super good.

TC We listened to Sufjan Stevens [included on the soundtrack] with Luca and Armie [Hammer] right before we started shooting—that was an experience, to listen to that and, like, hold each other after. It’s awesome to hear you say that about the soundtrack. You’ve got to score a movie.

FO Yeah, one of these days. How many hours of piano went into it?

TC I had an Italian teacher, Roberto Solci, who had a painting of himself composing above his piano. He was absolutely brilliant and instinctual. I played a little bit of piano, but nothing like it was in the book or the movie. I worked with Roberto every day in a small apartment below Luca’s villa, and formed a really special relationship with [Solci].

FO Which school of thought are you in: that what you do is kind of in you, like a gift, this thing you’re really good at? Or, do you feel like whatever you decided to do and really believed in, you would’ve been good at?

TC I think I have to go with the first. I had this feeling I couldn’t not act and yet to get there I really needed teachers, and one teacher in particular, to make me comfortable with failing. To be bad and get over it—that opened the floodgates. I did a play in New York when I was 15, after this really difficult but ultimately helpful sophomore year in high school; that’s when it kind of took off for me. I’m also really passionate about music. I want to pursue other things creatively, not so much music, but definitely writing and directing. I’m going to be very, very patient about that. The dream as an actor is to be economically self-sustainable and what this year has been is beyond that now. I’m getting a creative license of sorts.

FO Cool. Well, I’m going to sign off. Best of luck tonight.

TC Thank you so much for this. It’s been such an experience, sharing personal thoughts about artistry and acting with someone that’s influenced me in many ways. This means the world to me.

Timothée Chalamet by Xavier Dolan

Timothée Chalamet chats with film director Xavier Dolan on the realities of love and pain.

February 6, 2018

Text: Lisa Mischianti

This article appears in the pages of VMAN39, available on newsstands February 22. Pre-order your copy now at vmagazineshop.com.

The artistry of filmmaking has always preoccupied Timothée Chalamet. Fittingly, the quality of the craft is more than apparent in his first major leading role, Luca Guadagnino’s Call Me By Your Name. To prepare for being on set, Chalamet has long immersed himself in complex cinema— movies like critically-acclaimed Canadian filmmaker Xavier Dolan’s I Killed My Mother. Here, Chalamet and Dolan meet up in Paris to discuss Chalamet’s creative sights for the future, his relationship with Armie Hammer, and the realities of love and pain.

XD When I saw Call Me By Your Name, I had the feeling I knew you. Although I guess that’s what movies are trying to achieve: To connect us, strangers, and make us feel that we know the characters we’re presented.

TC Absolutely. I’ve been the biggest fan of your work for years. You direct films that make really strong, clear choices...the moment, in Mommy, when the actor opens up the aspect ratio—wait, I don’t want to ruin it!

XD Oh, everybody has spoiled that already! Thank you, you’re very sweet. So, what kind of artist are you? What are you looking for in your experiences with directors?

TC I look for a certain feeling, and I wouldn’t know how to describe it, but I know I’m always chasing it. I don’t quite know what it is that I’m after. I always like to think that the art doesn’t take place on screen, but in the audience member’s head. At a certain point I was able to come to grips with the idea to just “be.” That’s why I’m so impressed with your films, because you’re doing an incredible job just “being,” which is all I’m focused on while working. But you’re also weaving and keeping the story synchronized.

XD What do you look for in a film? The vision? Emotion, uniqueness?

TC My favorite movie is James White by Josh Mond, and it’s a testament to the filmmaking that I couldn’t tell where the filmmaking was. It felt like watching a man’s journey. Josh has his finger on what it is to be alive now. You keep seeing stories told with similar tropes, and that, as a viewer, is what’s scariest to me. I’m not worried about being bad in anything, because I know I’ll be bad in things, and that’s fine. But what scares me is being boring, and being part of stories I feel too familiar with, or being cynical for the sake of being cynical.

XD I’m curious to hear about Armie and you. It’s a very intimate story, and the whole movie revolves around the central piece of your relationship.

TC I wish everybody could hang out with Armie, because our relationship, the way it blossomed when we first met, was so conducive and helpful to what it is in the movie. I was way more inexperienced, and I knew seconds after meeting Armie that I was in the best hands. He’s an instinctual caretaker, which is part of his incredible performance in the film: his character wants to succumb to his love and desire for another human being, but also doesn’t want to hurt him. It’s best epitomized in this scene towards the end where I’m sleeping in bed, before the farewell at the train station. Oliver sits on the bed next to Elio and you see about 6,000 emotions go across Armie’s face: love, empathy, regret, and fear. There’s so much Armie in that moment; so much love there. We were also in Luca’s hands—this movie is Luca’s baby. Truer to this experience than in any movie I’ve been in, it felt like, hey, we gotta be into the director, but we gotta be into each other...

XD And you were.

TC We were! It was the setting, the town—culturally, if we wanted reference points it was with one another. There was pressure to do justice to the book by André Aciman, yet there was this beautiful feeling where there wasn’t pressure from it being really popular, or because there was an actor in it that sells a certain number of tickets. There was this idea that if this is gonna be good, it will be because it is. What excites me most as an artist is flow. That’s harder when the idea of show business or Hollywood is present. Maybe it was shooting in Italy, or preparing for a month and a half, or shooting with one lens, but there was flow!

XD [Did Luca want you] to absorb the spirit of that space of creation?

TC Yes, which is Luca’s genius. Europeans know how to waste time better than Americans do! If we had shot the film the day I stepped off the plane from New York, it would’ve been manic and maybe half as long, because we would have been running through all the beats, instead of spending time being in tune with a vision and experience of Europe.

XD How has your relationship with Luca evolved now that you have not only shot the film but also traveled with it to so many places?

TC I’m figuring out adulthood as I’m figuring out these relationships. I had an excellent, intimate relationship with Luca through the process, and we were always in each other’s ears, but it wasn’t what it is now. It’s certainly nothing close to being peers, but I just get him more now. He’s really a blueprint for me, in terms of what I look for in a director.

XD Will this film make you more fastidious in choosing future projects?

TC I’ll be very careful with what I do next. But I understand how difficult it’ll be to replicate the experience I had. With Luca, we were shooting in his town, sitting in his screening room, watching movies he loves. Luca has worked with his editor, producing partners, camera people, costume designer, etc. for 25 years. So you’re stepping into a system. It’s almost like the Warhol factory. That’ll be difficult to find and match.

XD You’ve said Call Me By Your Name is a celebration of love. But do you feel it is equally, and perhaps even more, about pain? People say how mature this film is, and I wonder if “mature” is just a word we use for a movie that open-heartedly talks about pain, and celebrates it as well.

TC I don’t disagree. Pain, after all, is mostly what Michael [Stuhlbarg]’s monologue is about. During that scene, I had a little voice at the back of my head saying, Hear this. ****ing hear this. When you’re suffering, or grieving, the only thing you can control or protect yourself from is the added layer of shame, beating yourself up over heartbreak, or forbidding yourself the pain. But there is no right way to grieve or suffer. If it ever was about pain— the pain that relates to heartbreak or love—it’s about how to deal with it.

Read the full interview online February 22.
vman.com

^ Can't give you karma right now ... thanks so much for these two interviews! Especially love the one with Frank Ocean.

Timothee Chalamet tried to keep a low profile while catching a flight out of LAX on February 8, 2018.

3QxsWb0.jpg

Uu2p4b3.jpg

justjared.com

L'Officiel USA launch dinner at Chrome Hearts, New York, USA, February 8, 2018.

k2UkMRr.jpg

timothee-chalamet.net

UwuJiJS.jpg

chalametstyle.tumblr.com

Last edited by a moderator:
QLWj5wX.jpg

The Arrival of Timothée Chalamet

Every once in the rarest while, a young actor shows up in a movie like an alien—anonymous and yet in possession of such preternatural talent that audiences start thinking about the actor’s future not in years but in decades. Call Me by Your Name’s Timothée Chalamet is just such an alien, and just such a once-in-a-generation talent.

Photo of Daniel Riley
By Daniel Riley
Photographs by Ryan McGinley

Every once in the rarest while, a young actor shows up in a movie like an alien—anonymous and yet in possession of such preternatural talent that audiences start thinking about the actor’s future not in years but in decades. Call Me by Your Name’s Timothée Chalamet is just such an alien, and just such a once-in-a-generation talent.

A 20-year-old from New York arrives six weeks before the rest of a movie cast to learn two instruments and a new language for a role as a brainy trilingual teenager swept up in his first love affair. Months on, having worn the character around all season and having fallen deeply, helplessly, in love with the other actors, and the director, the actor is prepped for an extended close-up, without a cut, over which the credits will roll.

It is the third-to-last day of production, and the hurt is real for the young actor and it is settling in—this is like nothing he's ever experienced before, and he's twisted up about it, because others who have been around a lot longer than he has are saying the same thing, that this experience is singular. The director, having witnessed "a consistent and constant surprise, and yet not a surprise at all," as he'd put it later, in the roiling preternatural performance by this no-name New Yorker, films three takes—each four minutes long, matched to the length of the end-credit song that the actor hears in his earpiece, and against which the actor's face communicates most registers of the hurting side of the heart. This final shot, it goes and goes and goes and goes, and just when people who watch a lot of movies think it's going to end, it goes a little more. The longing and nostalgia and love are real, and the actor is a conduit. Little does he know that this day, this scene, will serve as the inflection point of his nascent life.

How does a single movie scene transform a life? Here's how:

The effect of that final shot is that it tunnels one's vision on this unknown face—rosy-ringed around the eyes, a sweetness in the whites—and articulates, as the actor will later put it, "what the scene is about, and in many ways what this movie is about—time lost, love lost, regret that love wasn't pursued more fully, more quickly." The lingering shot keeps audiences soldered to their seats and sears a potent idea in their minds: that this 20-year-old is someone it is thrilling to have just met, out of the blue like this, someone we will no doubt see again—maybe even for the rest of our lives.

It happens first at Sundance, and then in Berlin and Toronto and New York, and eventually in most cities in America as Call Me by Your Name plays to new audiences. The idea is contagious—that this young actor is very good, maybe the best in a long time, maybe even a sort of genius. It just so happens that another film comes out at practically the same time, Lady Bird, in which the actor plays a smaller role for a writer-director who puts her finger on something else about him: "He's Christian Bale, Daniel Day-Lewis, Leonardo DiCaprio," Lady Bird's Greta Gerwig says. "A heartthrob but with thoroughbred acting chops. Everyone else will be amazed by what he grows into, but I won't—I've always known that he's a unicorn." Bale. Day-Lewis. DiCaprio. Out of nowhere, then: A generational performer arrives.

He receives 40-plus-ish nominations for Best Actor and Best Newcomer and Best Etc. during the season of awards, and spends most of the winter ping-ponging back and forth between Los Angeles and New York, expressing exuberant gratitude and pleading with himself again and again to keep it cool—"don't be awkward, don't be awkward"—as he falls out of chairs onstage at screenings, and folds open his pay-it-forward acceptance speeches, and rapidly, alchemically, gradually becomes a Known Person before our eyes.

And then, in late January, the transformation of a 20-year-old nobody into a 22-year-old movie star culminates when an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor is granted to Timothée Chalamet, the third-youngest actor ever to be tapped in the category, and the youngest in 80 years.

Just like that. Lucky us.

Read more: https://www.gq.com/story/timothee-chalamet-has-arrived
gq.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cerezitas
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->