Tod's F/W 08.09 : Gwyneth Paltrow by Mario Testino

Mirik

Reaction score
I searched the sub-forum, but didn't find the duplicate

scanned by me from Harper's Bazaar Russia September 2008
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/10/gwyneth-paltrow.html
Oscar winner, lovable snob, and confirmed MILF Gwyneth Paltrow has done her share of celebrity shilling (Estée Lauder perfume, charity t-shirts, etc.), and we never minded. It’s not like she’s got a rich husband to pay the bills, right? But her deal with luxury haberdasher Tod’s is feeling a little ill-fated. First, Gwynnie got slammed by PETA this summer or wearing fur in a Tod’s ad. And now the actress stars in an unintentionally hilarious six minute short film (click here to watch it), written and directed by none other than Dennis Hopper. It’s a loopy love letter to Italian cinema, circus performers, and the Tod’s Pashmy Bag, and let me just say that the whole clip packs an extraordinarily high WTF-per-minute ratio; if Hopper was shooting for Fellini, he ended up with Farrelly. Check our minute-by-minute reactions after the jump, the let us know what you think: 0:02 Wait. This thing is directed by Dennis Hopper? The Dennis Hopper? [Note: This isn’t nearly as surprising once you watch the movie and realize that no one but Hopper could possibly have made something this crazy.]

0:05
“Starring Gwyneth Paltrow & The Tod’s Pashmy Bag” Ah, how the mighty have fallen. Eight years ago, she was man-handling Oscar; today, she splits top billing with leather goods.

0:31
Paltrow buys a single rose, gifts it to a street performer. Because she’s JUST THAT GENEROUS. Street performer is visibly peeved to have received a flower instead of, say, 20 bucks, or an autograph that could be sold for the same amount.

0:45
Paltrow meets her superhunky Italian interviewer (let’s call him Marcello) and carefully places her Tod’s Pashmy Bag on a chair. The bag gets its own shot and everything. At this point I’m wondering if we’re going to go down a Lars and the Real Girl road where Gwynnie starts cracking jokes with the bag. (“You know what, Pashmy? You’re no slouch! HA!”).

1:05
Paparazzi swarm the interview. Gwyneth spooks like a horse and makes a run for it—leaving her bag! Poor Pashmy, all alone with that cut-from-marble journalist…on a beautiful day…in Italy... Hm. Did Gwyneth lose the bag, or did the bag just ditch a third wheel?
1:20 “Gweenett! You bag!” Marcello chases G down the street with the purse, but she slips into a getaway car.
1:50 Marcello sulks away, looking classy and manly even with a purse over his shoulder. Damn. European guys can pull off anything.
2:00 Marcello drives up to G’s party on a Vespa. What, no gondola?
2:50 After losing G again in the din of the red carpet, Marcello gets into the party using his press pass. Or maybe just his smile…
3:15 Film geek note: is the party music actually Nino Rota, or just a soundalike?
4:20 M finally spots G, cutting a rug with some circus performers. She looks slammin, but La Paltrow’s acting chops have historically hit a wall when she’s asked to feign interest in clowns (e.g., Jack Black in Shallow Hal).
4:45 Feeling a little playful, Marcello starts digging through G’s purse. Does he find...sunflower seed snack packs? A Coldplay album? A lock of Madonna’s hair? Nope, just her wallet. This is getting creepy…
5:00 M enlists a clown to give G her wallet, then her keys. Hang on a sec. A stranger is using circus freaks to give back her possessions one by one, and this is supposed to be charming? RUN AWAY, Gwyneth!
5:50 G and Pashmy finally have a joyous reunion, followed by a dance with Marcello. Fellini rolls in his grave [<--- not shown].

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought there would of already been a thread.. :innocent:
thanks for the scans

she looked great in white. But that bag looks.. just like every other slouchy bag...

i didn't think the interviewer was particularily hunky...

cute, why, yes. but hunky? no.

I think Gwyneth is beautiful, I just don't like her in that Campaign Shots :(:doh:

^i don't particularly like her here either. she looks pretty lame and boring...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->