Tommy Hilfiger Sold* updated

Tommy Bahama is a brand that is doing VERY well... but why is that? It's expensive resort wear for the white man.

I honestly think Tommy targeted Beyonce, etc to gain back the black clientelle that he lost (who knows why she decided to do the campaign...maybe you'll do anything if paid enough)... But it hasn't worked. He's offended a large group of people.

I believe that his licensee buisnesses countinue to do ok, such as the home collection (although the customer doesn't truely know that it's not made by Tommy himself)... but that's because these are cross-over businesses that any customer can buy. Tommy specifically offended his Tommy Hilfiger Men's and Tommy Jeans customer... and those are the brands that saw a direct loss in sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole thing about Tommy making racist comments is an urban myth. It simply didn't happen. The story, circulated a few years ago, was that Tommy got on Oprah and made comments about minority groups, or that he wasn't happy that aforementioned groups were wearing his clothes, etc. (the version changes each time with the teller).

Anyway, not long after these myths got going around, Oprah got on her own show and said that it never happened, that she NEVER met Tommy Hilfiger, and that he hadn't even been on the show. It all was simply made up.

There is a website somewhere that debunks urban myths... if you do an internet search, you'll find the whole story.

I agree that Hilfiger makes low-quality, overpriced clothes with little to no interesting design... but that particular racist angle simply didn't happen. If somebody says that they saw it... they're just dreaming or making it up. This rumor was almost as good as the one about Liz Claiborne being a Satanist or something like that. Geesh...

John

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, I really don't know if it is an urban myth... could be... but how would anyone know? However, I would never believe that he said those things on Oprah of all places... he's just not that dumb.

He aspired to be Ralph Lauren and fell quite short, imo.

I agree. Ralph Lauren has that certain class that Tommy Hilfiger lacks in all aspects. Tommy Hilfiger is simply a cheap imitation of a New England "upper-class look" that is Ralph Lauren. Tommy is tacky.

Tommy you are so naturalistic and kind,that's why you are so crowd-pulling

Hilfiger used to have a whole section at the local Galeria and now there's nothing...nada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dafraz117
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->