TOP GEAR host badly hurt in car crash

Reaction score
TV host 'improving' after crash

_42111486_hammond300.jpg
The presenter is being treated at Leeds General Infirmary

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond is improving but remains seriously ill in hospital after he crashed a jet-powered car during filming for the BBC show.
The 36-year-old was thought to be driving at about 300mph on an airfield near York when he crashed on Wednesday.
The Health and Safety Executive and the BBC will investigate the incident.
The corporation, whose conduct is likely to be closely scrutinised, said in a statement: "We are looking into all the factors of this accident."
The statement continued: "It would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage until we know the full situation."
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
He has brought an awful lot to the programme
end_quote_rb.gif

Quentin Willson, former Top Gear presenter

He was initially reported to have suffered serious head injuries and was taken to the neurological unit of Leeds General Infirmary by helicopter.
The hospital confirmed that his wife was at his bedside and, at the request of his family, no further information would be released.
Hammond was believed to be attempting to break the British land speed record, currently at 300.3mph and held by Colin Fallows driving a Vampire dragster.
o.gif

Vampire
Estimated top speed: 370mph
Acceleration: 0 to 272mph in 6 seconds
Engine: Rolls Royce Orpheus
Fuel economy: 7-10 gallons per mile
Weight: 2,200 lbs (998kg)
Length: 30 feet (9.14m)

inline_dashed_line.gif

Enlarge Image

His co-presenters on the BBC Two programme, Jeremy Clarkson and James May, were also understood to be visiting their colleague at the hospital.
Top Gear has courted controversy in the past over apparently glamorising fast driving.
In 1999 a group of MPs criticised the series for being "obsessed with acceleration and speed".
Last year, lobby group Transport 2000 called for the show to be taken off the air accusing it of "glamorising speed and failing to make the connection with danger on the roads".
At the time, Hammond defended the programme, saying: "Top Gear is an entertaining show, for people that are interested in cars, that is driven by people who have been motoring journalists for many, many years."
'Breathtaking force'
Former firefighter Dave Ogden, who was working with Hammond at the Elvington airfield near York, said the team was attempting to break the land speed record.
He said the jet-powered car had done several runs when it "veered off to the right".
_42112492_york_elvington_map203.gif

"One of the parachutes had deployed but it went on to the grass and spun over and over before coming to a rest about 100 yards from us."
His crew and an ambulance rushed over and found the car upside down and "dug in" to the grass.
Mr Ogden said he felt for a pulse and heard Hammond breathing before the emergency crews worked together to turn the car the right way up and then cut him free.
"He was regaining consciousness at that point and said he had some lower back pain. But he was drifting in and out of consciousness a little bit."
Motoring expert Adam Rayner said that at those speeds the driver would experience forces similar to those endured by fighter pilots.
_42112688_site_pa203.jpg
Experts are surveying the crash scene

"These cars accelerate at 6G - the force is breathtaking and stopping is a real difficulty," he said.
One of the show's former presenters, Quentin Willson, described Hammond as "a wonderful, unique and distinctive Top Gear presenter" but his energy may have led him to overstep the mark.
Willson added: "There is no pressure from the BBC or the producer to take undue risks.
"But that pressure is in your own head. You want to do an item on the programme which is mind-blowing."
Hammond grew up in Solihull, was educated in Yorkshire and lives near Cheltenham with his wife and children. In addition to presenting Top Gear for the BBC, he also fronted Brainiac on Sky One and had his own show on Five.

(bbc.co.uk)

I'm a big fan of both Hammond and Top Gear and hope he makes a swift and total recovery.

And my thoughts go out to his wife and daughters :cry:

^^ me too, I love this guy he is so cute! And I love Topgear too. I really hope he recovers. His condition is said to be stable now, whereas before it was critical, so thats good news.

I love Richard so much. Although I hate cars and the idea of boys with fast toys, I think Top Gear is a brilliant show. It is beautifully shot, the editorials are done with such humour, wit and intelligence and it makes the whole hour accessible for any viewer. Richard is always my favourite because he is so naturally charming, not to mention completely GORGEOUS (let's face it, he is) and he offsets the other two perfectly.

If he didn't survive this i'd just..I don't know....my heart might shrivel up and die D:

Other than driving one, I loathe cars. I find the topic beyond boring. Saying that though, I love Top Gear. I love the cheeky banter between the 3 guys and the crazy challenges they do each week.

It worries me that they say he has a serious head injury. I'm scared I'll go to the BBC site and they'll say he's gotten worse and died. I hope he gets better.

Poor Richard :( I do hope he recovers quickly and completely :heart:

canuckcutie said:
Other than driving one, I loathe cars. I find the topic beyond boring. Saying that though, I love Top Gear. I love the cheeky banter between the 3 guys and the crazy challenges they do each week
The banter is definitely the reason I watch it, seeing as how I neither understand cars nor understand anyone's obsession with cars :blush:

He's out of Intensive Care now, and James from the show has said he has spoken to him:smile:

I love Hammond!! It said in the paper that in the ambulance he kept saying "I have to get up and do a piece for the camera" I hope he makes a good recovery soon, the brain thing worries me :(

^^ Yeah when they mention a serious brain injury, I get so worried.

I know Jeremy for one loves to take the piss out of him but I bet at heart he's a bit of a softy and he's worried about the poor hamster.

Writing exclusively in The Sun, columnist Jeremy revealed:
“In the wee small hours Richard Hammond suddenly sat up in bed, opened his eyes and asked what had happened.
‘You’ve been in a car accident,’ I said.
‘Was I driving like a tw*t?’, he asked, before getting out of bed and walking, shakily, to the lavatory.
“Despite all the odds, it seemed we’d got our Hamster back.”

I wish him all the best. He's such a great man and I love Top Gear.

Once in a while I watch 'Braniac' where Richard is the host. I like both of his shows (Top Gear, too) I hope he get's well soon.

Hana_N said:
He said, hello, c**kface to James May:lol:

I really hope he's going to fine and back to normal.
It sounds like he is :lol: I hope he continues to recover, and all the best to his family&friends :flower:

Thank god he's doing better!
- msn.com

Hammond donations overwhelm charity
Fans of Top Gear's Richard Hammond have raised so much cash for an air ambulance charity in the wake of his high-speed dragster crash that he could end up with a new helicopter named after him, it has emerged.
As the presenter continues his remarkable recovery in hospital, an appeal for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance (YAA) has now broken through the £140,000 barrier following a flurry of donations.
One person even left a single donation of £50,000.
The appeal was set up by contributors to an internet forum based at online motoring magazine PistonHeads.com and initially only expected to raise a few thousand pounds.
But now YAA's chief executive, Martin Eedes, said so much money had been raised that it would use the donations to help buy a second helicopter for the service.
He said on the appeal website: "YAA will be designating Richard's fans' donations for "Hammy's Heli" so that we can expand our work and advance our plans for a second helicopter.
Mr Eede said there had always been a long term plan to buy a second helicopter for Yorkshire, but this strategy was now being "brought forward" because of the success of the appeal.
He said: "We thought this was the right way to mark the response from fans of Richard Hammond.
However, he added that those wishing to donate to the appeal should also search for their local air ambulance charity and "support them too".
Hammond, 36, was flown by the YAA's current helicopter to Leeds General Infirmary in a matter of minutes after the jet-powered dragster he was driving crashed on an airfield near York. Medical staff at the hospital said his recovery was continuing as he recuperated on a general ward after being transferred from a high dependency unit.

im so glad he is feeling better he seems so lovely and sweet and his family are just gorgeous:heart: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->