Travel Guide : London

yes - it's so true. I used to work with a saffa, and he lived right next to Richmond and he said he chose the area because all his mates from South Africa lives around there. I would say West/North Kensington as well, has quite a few Australians. I think Wimbledon and Richmond are quite accessible. There's nothing wrong with trains. I used to live in South East London and the tube sort of circled around where I lived. I was able to get to London Bridge in 10 minutes flat, with trains leaving every 10-20 minutes.

I never realized The Bedford was in Balham :lol: I thought it was in Bedford! I really don't like Camden either. I don't know - I find that it's a lot of hype without much really going on. I find it quite dingy in the high street as well. I know there are quite nice bits of it, but it's one of those places that you go to and think 'yeah, this would have been nice and cool and interesting 10 years ago'. I'm not a SW London person either. I find a lot of those high streets are kind of run down, or full of weird, naff shops and it takes away any charm and character. I lived in East Dulwich before and I loved it. We had a butchers, fishmonger, cheese shop, specialty veg shop that carried a lot of gluten free products, local-owned wine shop that also stocked deli items, our own deli (called the East Dulwich deli), as well as a lot of characterful pubs with good food and one of the pubs even opened up it's own specialty deli - all spread out over about 3 blocks on our high street. We also had a massive Sainsy's as well as a crap smaller Somerfield. I think it's quite rare to have such a nice high street with such variety of small, local-owned, product-specific shops in an affordable area and I loved that about it.

Oh thank god for this thread, so much useful information! I'm going to be in London next month and I've been before, but still, there's some great tips in here.

I'm going to be going to a showing of The Phantom of the Opera when I'm there and I was wondering how people typically dress for plays in London? Is it formal or casual??

Also, I'm going to be staying in a hotel in Belgravia...is it close to a lot of places? I've read that it's quite residential...

Oh thank god for this thread, so much useful information! I'm going to be in London next month and I've been before, but still, there's some great tips in here.

I'm going to be going to a showing of The Phantom of the Opera when I'm there and I was wondering how people typically dress for plays in London? Is it formal or casual??

Also, I'm going to be staying in a hotel in Belgravia...is it close to a lot of places? I've read that it's quite residential...

In my experience, it isn't too formal. It is usually 'smart-casual' which basically means don't dress like a hobo! I normally wear jeans with a nice top and heels but I've worn dresses and flats a few times as well, it's very varied. Mostly people make an evening out of the theatre in London, so people are usually dressed quite nicely if they have come from a restaurant or something like that.

I hope you have a good time, The Phantom of the Opera is one of the plays I really want to see, my friend went and said it was amazing ^_^

^ oh okay, for some reason I thought that people would get really dressed up for it, but I guess not. Thanks so much for helping me out! :smile:

Some people get dressed up for the opera or the ballet but for West End musicals, I think it is mostly tourists who go and so the dress is more casual. It's always fun - hope you enjoy!

i'm planning on house sitting in september in london, heathrow area.
and while i'm there i was thinking maybe i could look for a job. i'm from norway,
and heard it's not that difficult. but can anyone please tell me how and what
i should do/concider etc. any answers/tips/help - i would be soooo grateful!

I guess it depends what kind of job you are looking for. I would say that the job market in London right now is very tight...it's honestly not the best time to be looking for a job imo, but I would say your best bet would be to look for temp work. It will be a decent commute into central London though from Heathrow....

Can someone tell me about the music scene of London? :buzz: I wish I could remember London like I saw it when I was little, but I didn't know anything besides the tourist attractions like the castles and museums. Where can I expect to see the best indie bands live? :flower: (I'm so obsessed with Mr. Hudson and the Library these days, and I would love to know more about where they come from!)

I'll be in London for my bday on the last week of April just 3-4 days, I've lived there for abour 3 years but it was in '97!! I wonder how much is changed, where to shop, pubs/clubs etc..my 18 years old sister will come with me, I've no idea about what we are going to do, well I've just planned the shopping madness!! Any info, tips about shops/events/clubs or else would be amazign ..thanx!!

I think I've posted about this before but this time it's more detailed...

I am getting more and more serious about moving to London and in my research I've discovered that the area of Richmond is not only safe, but affordable (even East Sheen). I'm seeing studios that look so kitted-out, they would cost a fortune in Central London (obviously they're tiny but still)!

My question is, is this too good to be true? What would the drawbacks be to living here, why would the rent be cheaper than other areas when it's considered to be one of the safest? How long does it take to get from here to central London on the tube?

Also, any other suggestions for areas for a young couple? Perhaps an area that's 'on the verge' of becoming big?

Thanks in advance!

Can someone tell me about the music scene of London? :buzz: I wish I could remember London like I saw it when I was little, but I didn't know anything besides the tourist attractions like the castles and museums. Where can I expect to see the best indie bands live? :flower: (I'm so obsessed with Mr. Hudson and the Library these days, and I would love to know more about where they come from!)

Well, I don't particularly care for Mr Hudson, but I can help you with all this as I run a couple of clubs live pretty exclusively at night. What kind of bands/music do you like? I can tell you where to go hopefully!

I think I've posted about this before but this time it's more detailed...

I am getting more and more serious about moving to London and in my research I've discovered that the area of Richmond is not only safe, but affordable (even East Sheen). I'm seeing studios that look so kitted-out, they would cost a fortune in Central London (obviously they're tiny but still)!

My question is, is this too good to be true? What would the drawbacks be to living here, why would the rent be cheaper than other areas when it's considered to be one of the safest? How long does it take to get from here to central London on the tube?

Also, any other suggestions for areas for a young couple? Perhaps an area that's 'on the verge' of becoming big?

Thanks in advance!

Okay, Richmond CAN be affordable, but the council tax is HUGE. However, where I live, which is a short distance from east sheen, is very cheap and the council tax is the cheapest in the whole of england. There is Earlsfield (where I live) but also Southfields (upmarket, young and cheap), Barnes, Wandsworth, Putney, Wimbledon and Roehampton. You could probably afford much more if you looked at these areas, Balham is another good area that is on the up.

Anyone been to The Ivy for dinner?
My friends are taking me for my birthday and want to know what to wear?
I've told them to dress up not just cause it's The Ivy but I want them looking good on my birthday.

Anyone know a decent tailor for minor alterations at a reasonable price?

Anyone been to The Ivy for dinner?
My friends are taking me for my birthday and want to know what to wear?
I've told them to dress up not just cause it's The Ivy but I want them looking good on my birthday.

How was it!! I've never been, is it worth going there?

Lately it seems that I cannot get London off my mind- its simply the best city in the world- and I am hoping to take a trip in the near future to visit family. So any suggestions of things which I must do? I already have a few ideas and places which I know I simply must visit for the first time (or revisit). I really want to check out the Tate, the V&A (again- its great- and free!), the Primrose Hill area, the Camden market, ect. Any other suggestions for places to eat/shop/or explore? :smile:

Accommodations in London

Hello!

Im looking already for a long time now for an accommodation in London.
I would like to take some courses in an University and need a very cheap one for 1 Month.

Can anyone recommend me please a Hotel, Hostel, Student housing, or different Accommodations in London please?

greets
René

It will be quite difficult (and expensive) to rent an apartment just for one month, so either try something with the university or google Picadilly Backpackers. It should be like £8 per night.

^ and try Gumtree. That's where I found my flat (and where all my friends found theirs).

^Usually universities will have a website that'll have a section on housing in London with a list of links to both short and long term accomodation providers. I attend UCL and on their website, they certain do have such a page and that's how I found my accomodation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pietrobundchen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->