Travel Guide : London

I'm totally discouraged. I want to take a 10-week course at the City university but I have no idea where I'm going to live. I searched on some websites such as gumtree, as recommended here, but there's no way I can pay that. 150-350 pounds a week??? 150 pounds a week, that's roughly about 700 euro/month. Seriously?? How can students afford that? Are these prices normal? :cry: Around here, a nice, big studio is about 300-500 euro/month.

EDIT: I also searched on the university housing website. Same prices.

Please someone tell me I'm looking in all the wrong places:cry:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the usual price that students pay in London for accomodation is between 120-150 per week (with bills on top) and if you live further out from the centre (zone 3-4) you may be able to pay less (80-100 plus bills). Usually students share a house instead of renting a studio to save on money, and some students even have 2 or 3 people sharing a room.

Sorry FleurDeLys in London you really need to work as well. I know it's hard but keep on looking and something is bound to pop up. Remember to take into account travel cost. Get a travel card and load it up. My advice is look for a flat that is near a tube line or is a 10/15 mins walk away. Chasing buses and waiting forever for overground trains can be a b*tch.

Go on Gumtree again and look for zones two and three. North West, West and South West west aka Fulham, Earls Court, Wimbledon, Shepherd's Bush are expensive if you ask me.

Maybe try something in Clapham (North, Common or South) which is on the northern line south. It's getting really trendy with nice restaurants and bars plus Vivienne Westwood lives there. You might bang into her riding her bike.

East London is for me but not for everyone. All my close friends live there and it's easy to move around. Bricklane (famous markets) and Shoreditch/Bethnal Green are where it's at but can be expensive too in certain spots. You can walk a lot and the central line is our tube. Bow/Hackney/Stratford and getting done up cause of the Olympics so there maybe accommodation around these areas. My friend lives in Bow and she likes it.

I'm not 100% sure about the rent prices in North London. I'm sure living in Camden is a bit expensive considering it's an "it" area. I've only ever going there to the markets or to Koko for dancing. Sorry no help there.

Stay away from Whitechapel and Elephant and Castle.

Central, Piccadilly, Northern are the best tube lines so try around them.

PM me if you have anymore questions :flower:

Are there any "dangerous" neighbourhoods? the kind you don´t want to walk around at night...

also, any street fairs during the weekends? which ones would you recommend?

Sorry to post again but I was wondering about the weather... I´ve seen on weather.com that during the day the temperature is like 27 C and at night 15 C, is it really like that? I´m afraid of going out in the morning in summer clothes and then freeze when the sun goes down...

Are you coming in the next days?
You do not need to worry, just bring summer clothes, and a light jacket for the nights.
I'm the type of person that everyone makes fun because i think a wool coat is perfectly acceptable clothes for the summer, so when i say it's hot, it's really hot. I've been able to walk in the park in summer clothes without a jacket in the evening, i do not think i've done that for years.

Well all the neighbourhoods i would consider really dangerous are far from the centre of town, and even those can always be worked on.

Well Im the last person to advice on street fairs, sorry, I'm sure someone else has better ideas. But i do love go the the Borough Market for vegetables and yummy food and Columbia Road Flower market on Sunday morning for flowers.

^Thank You! I´m very chilly so I worried that I´d have to walk around with tons of layers :smile:
I´m going next week, yay!

Are there any "dangerous" neighbourhoods? the kind you don´t want to walk around at night...

I don't live there, but I just spent most of the month of May in London. It was the coldest spring on record for something like 30 years, just my luck. But I've heard it's boiling hot now. Anyhow, you might want to check out Spitalfields Market on a Sunday - they sometimes have fun things. If you want good curry, head over to Brick Lane (also some good thrift shopping around there). Have fun! :flower:

I love this thread. I live in the US and though I've been to London 3 times, I never had to plan the trip and I never had much say in what we did (each trip was for a Family Vacation and my Mom chose where we stayed, ate, shopped, and went sight-seeing) but it's a city that struck a chord with me and I am vaguely planning an extended solo trip to London sometimes in the next year or so. Reading this thread is giving me plenty of ideas, so many thanks to each and every one of you who has contributed!

Thank you, guys for all your help :smile:
I´m looking forward to take my pic next to a police box aka Tardis LOL

Like all other big main cities there can be weridos hanging around. If you are in Zones 1-3 you should be fine. Just make sure that your handbag is zipped up and if anyone offers you anything just say no thank you or ignore them.

I also recommend going to Borough Market. The food is divine. http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/

And also Spitalfields/Brick Lane on a Sunday is always fun. http://www.spitalfields.co.uk/ & http://www.visitbricklane.org/

Camden market is also on a Sunday. It's an awesome place to explore. http://www.camden-market.org/

Portobello Road is really good. I've only been on Saturday's as that's when everything is open. http://www.portobelloroad.co.uk/

There is also some markets in "Notting Hill" (other than Portabello Road) but I can't remember what road its on. I haven't been there since last year but I know we got off at a different tube. Someone else might know what I'm talking about.

Also re the weather. I always carry a cardie or jacket just in case. Something that you can fold up in your handbag.

And remember to buy an Oyster travel card. It's so much easier to get around on trains and buses.

Also as I know you are a Harry Potter fan make sure you go to King's Cross station to have your photo taken at platform 9 and 3/4 and if you have time go to the Harry Potter studio tour. It is AMAZING (Screw Florida it's the real thing).:magic:

You can also check the safety zones here. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
New York was my favorite until today, London is shapin up to become my fav city! I've onle slept three hours after a 13 hours flight and only been walking around my neighborhood but it's been great so far. Thanks again guys, for all your recommendations!! :D

I have a question about Oyster card.

I will be in the city for 9 days and I was wondering if it is possible for me to order an Oyster card online, loaded with 7 days Travelcard and additional money for the remaining two days, let's say about 10 pounds? Or will I have to buy two different cards, Travel and Oyster?

Hey, I don't think you can get an oyster card sent to you. But you can get it at the airport or station. Just buy the weekly/7 days on your oyster (know what zones you will be travelling), then top up the two remaining days.

I have a question about Oyster card.

I will be in the city for 9 days and I was wondering if it is possible for me to order an Oyster card online, loaded with 7 days Travelcard and additional money for the remaining two days, let's say about 10 pounds? Or will I have to buy two different cards, Travel and Oyster?

I ordered it online last years so that woudn't be a problem (if I would be sure I will get it in time, but I'm not so will just buy it at the station), but looks like a really need two separate cards, because I'm not an UK resident. :doh:
They replied me with this:

Thank you for contacting us about your planned travel to London in August.

If you are resident in the United Kingdom (U.K) you can use our website to purchase an Oyster card, which can be loaded with a seven day Travelcard and pay as you go credit. The pay as you go can be used for any travel made once the Travelcard has expired, or if you travel beyond the zones that your Travelcard covers as an extension fare. Delivery in the U.K normally takes between three and five working days.

If you live outside the U.K you can purchase a Visitor Oyster card from our website here: http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/. The Visitor Oyster card would be sent out to you loaded with pay as you go credit only. From this part of our website you can also buy a paper based weekly Travelcard and this can also be sent overseas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pietrobundchen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->