Travel Guide : Los Angeles

Not an LA expert here but I've been there plenty of times and taken buses/metro/trains/cabs/vans/you name it and I never found it complicated at all, the buses are very clean and efficient, it's definitely a smoother experience than say, taking a bus here in new york. plus doing the highway when you're not familiar with the area can be rather scary and time-consuming (if you take the wrong lane :innocent::ninja:) and don't get me started on the insane traffic during rush hour.
I would go as far as saying that I'd take transportation over driving any day but I'd be lying when it comes to los angeles :lol:.. the upside of having a car there is that everything is so spacious that if you're doing the touristy stuff, it's really exhausting having to think about transportation just to find somewhere to eat or how to move on to your next stop and knowing it will take a while to get there, plus waiting for a bus at an hour as early as 8 pm can be freaky.. streets are empty by then.
having said that, I say just go for it but take extreme precautions during the night.
LA does look very different when you're walking a lot and not just driving around it.. it seems more human (if that makes sense) and it can be a very lovely experience.. walking in the morning there is one of my favorite things to do..
(speaking of transportation, if you have a chance to take the surfliner for a quick stop in san diego, take it, it's a truly beautiful ride :heart:).

Thank you girls for all your help and insights!! Karma to you guys, wheres the best places to shop? I'm looking for more affordable things, I will check out Rodeo Dr., but I don't think I'll be spending a lot $$, I like cheap, inexpensive things, any good thrift stores nearby?

Hey misstiz, can you purchase a day pass for buses? like one ticket for all buses?

Seriously I need help. My friend and I can't decide where to stay in LA when we visit in November. Someone please tell me where to go.

Where is the best place. I don't want to be a knob and stay at the chateau marmont. I don't want to be THAT person.

I want a nice clean 3 star and up hotel in the middle of LA so we can go to Melrose and to the Grove and then to the beverly centre and then to the Grauman's Chinese theatre etc.

Like is there any cool boutique hotels hidden anywhere.

Please please please help me. It's too hard.

I'm planning a trip to LA for next summer so I'd better bookmark this thread! Thanks for the info guys....

I want a nice clean 3 star and up hotel in the middle of LA so we can go to Melrose and to the Grove and then to the beverly centre and then to the Grauman's Chinese theatre etc.

Like is there any cool boutique hotels hidden anywhere.

What's your budget? How about the Farmer's Daughter Hotel? It's right outside the Grove, and near the intersection of Beverly/Fairfax. Not too far from Melrose, and a quick taxi drive from Hollywood Blvd.

And if you're looking for a real piece of LA, food-wise, try Larchmont Bungalow on Larchmont Blvd. and The Griddle Cafe on Sunset, I believe. Awesome/cool spots...

^ Thanks Erin. I saw "Farmer's Daughter" on google maps and thought it was a supermarket like the "Farmers Market" lol whoops.

I'll check out the link and send to my friend. We don't really have a budget per say. We are also going to NY and Vegas and are staying in really nice places. I won't stay in anything that's under a 3 star rating. Probably looking at around $100-$200 a night. It's only for 2 nights (3 full days). We are staying down in Anaheim to visit Disneyland first then moving onto LA to go shopping/sightseeing etc.

I can't believe I'm finding this so hard. NYC was easy and so was Vegas but LA is just doing my head in. Everyone says LA is really spread out but we can't (and don't want to) hire a car cause we drive on the other side of the road and I will probably kill someone so that's why I want to be like in the middle between N Highland Ave and Robertson Blvd so we can go here and there in a taxi.

My friend loves Gordon Ramsay's food/show etc so she like "lets stay at The London" where his resturant is. Its a bit pricey but not as expensive as others.

I really want to stay at the Regent Beverly Wilshire just so I can say I stayed at the "Pretty Women" hotel lol but it looks on google map to be a bit too far away from what looks like the centre of Hollywood.

Anything info you got Erin would be really appreciated. Thanks again :flower:

^ Yes, unfortunately... LA is very spread out. (I hate it.) My hotel suggestion is probably your best bet, as far as being near everything that you want to be near... If you don't mind walking. I would hit yelp and find hotels near Santa Monica Blvd./Fairfax. That's about the best I can help with hotels, as I'm not too familiar with any of the boutique ones.

About the only thing I can make a decent suggestion on is food - and a few "entertainment" items, like to hike to the observatory in Griffith Park (though it sounds as if you may not have the time/resources (car), checkout a movie screening at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Label Basher. I would recommend you get on trip advisor. Here's a link to hotels in LA, just type 'Robertson Blvd' etc in the 'Find a hotel near an address' box above the map on the right hand side. The results will come up with a map, ratings & prices. (The Elan or W sound good if in your budget) http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-Los_Angeles_California-Hotels.html
Then book with Expedia etc to get a better rate.

As for driving... I'm from Australia & was completely paranoid about diving on the other side of the road, but honestly, once I got in the car & started driving it felt completely normal. The roads are so wide in LA & there's traffic lights everywhere and no one drives fast on the main streets. Just stay off the freeways and you'll be absolutely fine. LA is a real PITA to get around without a car, get a GPS and you'll perfectly fine, I promise!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Nobody drives fast on the main streets? I would have to kindly disagree. :wink: I avoid driving here when I can, and I grew up in the United States! People are always running red lights, or texting while driving, and getting impatient - and to me - it's too much to deal with.

Are you opposed to public transit, Label Basher? The train here is really good, though the lines are not too extensive - there's a line that will take you from Hollywood to downtown, specifically. There are buses everywhere, too, though I've never been on one of the city buses.

Erin you are a life saver. You rock. Thank you so much for suggesting "Farmer's Daughter". We have decided to go with that. B)

No we can catch the bus/train but my mums friend who lives there says that cabs aren't expensive if you are going a short distance. How much do you tip a cabbie?

Also Erin sorry to bother you with more question but what will the weather be like in early November? Will I need a jacket or will a cardy do. Is it shorts and t-shirt weather or jeans and sweater?

Misstiz I'm just to scared to drive there lol. Driving in OZ or NZ is fine (except Melbourne with the trams can be a bit crazy), I won't drive in London cause you never need too with the tubes, buses and cabs.

We are booking with Expedia we got a great deal. Thanks hun :D

If you guys have anymore food ideas and any advice on how much to tip I'd be way grateful.

Thank you both :flower:

Label Basher - I'm so happy you went with Farmer's Daughter! It's in a central location, so I hope it works for you. I will PM you now with further LA info. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->