Traveling with expensive luggage

KissenKatja

Reaction score
Has anyone ever traveled with expensive luggages? If so, how did it turn out? I have a couple of LV keepall (55+60), but I'm sort of afraid it might get stolen where the luggage claim areas are.

Edit: Can any mod move this thread to the "Handbag" forum? I apologize.. I thought I was in the right forum.

Unless I was VIP flying on a private jet, I'd never bother spending real money on luggage.. it would either get ruined or stolen. ... even going and buying fake LV luggage.. it just draws attention to be stolen!

I agree with Luna...If you handcarry the bag, it's probably OK too but I'm not sure if Keepal 55+60 arent too big for handcarry, plus the all the trouble :P

I've seen a lot of people wrap their luggage in plastic wrap...that never ceases to amaze me when I see that lol

I wouldn't check in anything LV. Or anything in ANY luggage that was of value. I've had too many episodes of lost luggage and seeing various items OF my luggage seperately coming down the carousel...:angry:
I was a tried & true carrying on only person until the safety regs, then I switched back to checking in, then now I'm going back to carrying on everything.
There are plastic, clear covers that you can zip up your suitcase in (like the stuff your new bedspreads and throws come in) and it really does make a difference if you travel a lot because otherwise you will experience dirt, rips, handles breaking, wheels breaking...at the most inconvienent times :unsure:

^Bluhhhh handles breaking is the worst!! I have a rolling suitcase that's pretty big and the adjustable handle thing that comes out is broken. The button to make it go up and down popped off so it's always the same fun adventure at check in "Miss, this handle has to be down..." "...yeah I know, but...it doesn't actually go down anymore...:blush:" Luggage is just annoying I have to learn to start packing lighter lol

dont buy anything expensive luggage wise, a plain holdall is probably your best bet in terms of it not getting stolen, like someone said dont even buy fake, your average baggage handler/passenger is not going to know the difference! a basic handbag should just do the trick for travelling handluggage wise

I always FEDEX everything ahead & just take my big bag with me on the plane.

When I travel it is with expensive luggage, but it with £250+ Samsonite suitcases, stuff that has been made to withstand all of the crap those bags go through. Even still, anything of worth is carried on as hand luggage.

I'm not sure if Keepal 55+60 arent too big for handcarry, plus the all the trouble :P

Ooooh can anyone confirm or deny this? I was planning on buying one in NYC and then bring it back with me in the plane but if it can't come with me, there's no way i'm going to let it go to the luggages area (i've no idea of how you call it in english but hopefully you get what i mean :lol: )

I think the 55 would be okay but honestly...somedays it depends on the particular airline and who is working w/ the airline that day, if ya know what I mean.

If the keepall is all you have and not that PLUS:a computer bag, purse, big jacket, bag of mags....you catch my drift, then I'm sure you'll be fine!

I don't think I would check anything that flagged to TSA or anyone else that my luggage (and presumably the contents) were extremely valuable. Martha Stewart had an article about this in this month's Living (Maybe I shouldn't admit I read it...haha but I got a subscription for free). She said she only uses hard aluminum suitcases to be checked (since they can sustain damage) and only carries on her LV luggage pieces. She also suggested stuffing all your accessories and cords into shoe bags (hers were all orange Hermes) and plastic wrapping the big suitcases which I can't imagine doing...

I have a vintage LV suitcase wich Im allowed to take as hand lugagge, Im planning to buy another one but as I read before Im a little scared that it get stolen....Anyway, they look just fab!!

I'd spend the whole flight worrying whether my precious LV was getting dinged up or stolen, it'd drive me nuts!! Besides, you're seen with it for half an hour waiting to check in, then another half an hour wheeling it through Customs at the other end.. is it worth all the expense and worry? A nice carry-on, definitely, but for the cargo load I go 'sensible' luggage with bright tape wrapped all over it so that mine sticks out like a sore thumb on the carousel!

I would only use it as carry on so you know exactly where it is at all time. Checking it in is way too risky and I'd rather enjoy my travel rather than stressing out about the possibility of my luggage being stolen.

I travel with my Globe-Trotter luggage and a large leather Ann Demeulemeester week-end bag. The luggage has definitely taken a beating but I sort of like it when it's not pristine. Luggage is, after all, made to be used. Globe-Trotter is still not well known enough as a luxury brand that I don't worry about it being stolen and the Ann bag I always carry with me.

The way they abuse luggage, I would never check anything of value in. I just bought one of those hard-shell cases, and after 2 flights it already has a corner chipped out of it and a lot of rubber marks/dirt streaks from other luggage. It was only $100, but it still bothers me that they just toss around luggage so easily.
I bought a silver suitcase this time-it's SO easy to spot!

^ Most handlers really are quite rough with luggage, this summer coming back from Rome with my overloaded bags I put a pair of flats in the front zipper part of my suitcase and when I picked it up back here, it was open and the flats were gone. I'd gotten good use out of them and they weren't expensive but still like how hard did you toss that around to have that come loose? Another time in Rome (notice the trend here lol) I was walking to my gate and you can look out the window at the loading area and the luggage cart went by and someone's suitcase fell off it and the driver looked back but kept on going lol. I was astounded!

I carry my giant Mulberry weekender only as carry on.

To the poster who asked about the Keepall - it is fine as long as it collapses down into the required carry on size. (So you can't stuff it full!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
famfaluca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->