Trousers / Pants for all this fall -2008

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
t.gif
Show them who's wearing the pants

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 27/08/2008

It's all part of a trend that will see trousers emerge from the back of the wardrobe and take centre-stage again - in so many styles that there's a pair to suit everyone, writes Molly Gunn

In recent years, trousers have been consigned to the back of truly fashionable wardrobes. They just haven't seemed as exciting as the whimsical dresses and skirts that we've been floating around in.
funnyface250.jpg
Skinny set: Audrey Hepburn steals the show in skinny jeans in the 1956 film Funny FaceBut fashion is chiming with the economic mood this autumn, and designers have spurned such frivolity for sharper, more business-like attire. So trousers have stepped back into the limelight - and they have had quite a makeover. On the catwalks, there was a bewildering array of styles - including boot cuts, peg legs, wide legs and skinnies - so for once, there really is a pair to suit all.
Here, then, to help you make the most of what's on offer, we show you the key styles and how to wear them.

CROPPED
Inspiration Sarah Jessica Parker
Definition The trouser leg stops halfway between the knee and the ankle.
Who they suit "Cropped trousers only suit those with long legs," says Claude Pinnot, personal shopper at Selfridges. "The line cuts the leg horizontally, and therefore shortens it."
How to wear them "They look great with a long top or this season's chunky knits [beige merino wool cardigan, pictured, £260, my-wardrobe.com; 0845 260 3880]," says Pinnot. "Don't wear cropped trousers with knee-length boots - they will fight for attention."
Catwalk £390, by Michael Kors; michaelkors.com
High-street options Zara (£39); Whistles (£85); and Karen Millen (£99).

WIDE LEG
Inspiration Katharine Hepburn
Definition The bottom of the leg is usually one and a half times the width of the top.
Who they suit "Wide-legged trousers are ideal for tall women," says Pinnot. "Short women should avoid them, because the cut can broaden the figure and make legs look stumpy."
How to wear them "Make sure the hem brushes the ground so that only the shoe's toe shows, because this elongates the leg," says Pinnot. "By adding a pair of sturdy heels, the legs will appear super-long. Or for a mannish look like Hepburn's, wear them with a pair of flat loafers [brown leather loafers, £125, Russell & Bromley; 020 7629 6903], or brogues."
Catwalk £235, by Diane von Furstenberg; dvf.com
High-street options Ted Baker (£80); All Saints (£80); and Warehouse (£50).

HIGH-WAIST
Inspiration Marlene Dietrich
Definition The waistband sits just above your navel - and sometimes even higher.
Who they suit "High-waisted trousers are wonderful on tall or petite women with hourglass figures," says Pinnot, "but they should be avoided by pear shapes as they accentuate the hips and the waist."
How to wear them "If you have the confidence to carry them off, high-waisted trousers look amazing with a tucked-in blouse [blue-red cotton plaid blouse, pictured, £34.99, River Island; 020 8991 4759, riverisland.com], or top," says Pinnot. "This draws attention to the waist and lengthens the leg. Alternatively, wear a loose top and the trousers will have the same effect as control pants."
Catwalk Around £263, by Philip Lim; net-a-porter.com
High-street options Whistles (£100); River Island (£39.99); and Reiss (£110).

BOOT CUT
Inspiration Jennifer Aniston
Definition Slim-fitting down to the knee, but they then flare out so that the bottom is wide enough to accommodate a boot.
Who they suit "Boot cuts suit women of all shapes," says Pinnot. "They flatter the leg and bottom and create subtle curves."
How to wear them "They look good with heels or flats," says Pinnot. "But make sure they are long enough - nearly touching the floor - or they will look silly. Any shaped top looks good with them. And this season's blazer [black pinstripe, £45, by Topshop; 0845 121 4519, topshop.com] will work a treat."
Catwalk £695, Burberry.com
High-street options Jaeger (£199); Warehouse (£45); and Miss Selfridge (£25).

SKINNY
Inspiration Audrey Hepburn
Definition As the name suggests, these are figure-hugging in the extreme.
Who they suit "They look fantastic on petites," says Pinnot. "But curvy women should steer clear, because skinnies accentuate curves."
How to wear them "Pair them with a voluminous top to play with proportions," says Pinnot. "Add a pair of round-toed pumps [cream leather pumps, pictured, £85, frenchsole.com] for a classically smart look, or a pair of heels or wedges for killer legs."
Catwalk £775, by Ralph Lauren; ralphlauren.com
High-street options French Connection (£70); Oasis (£40); and Topshop (£38).

PEG LEG
Inspiration Actress Diane Kruger
Definition Pleated and billowing at the top and tapered at the ankle.
Who they suit "Peg legs are an interesting, edgy cut," says Pinnot. "They flatter taller women, and drown small frames. The loose cut at the top makes them ideal for anyone who's self-conscious about their stomach, but they should be avoided by those with big bottoms or thighs."
How to wear them "Wear with a pair of fabulous heels, like a shoe-boot or platform [black patent peep-toes, pictured, £465, Yves Saint Laurent; ysl.com]," says Pinnot. "And a structured jacket or a neat top will offset their looseness."
Catwalk Around £1,024, by Louis Vuitton; louisvuitton.com
High-street options Topshop (£35); Toast (£115); Gap (£35).

I'm going for black chinos (everybody has beige ones)..

I saw a lovely pair of leather skinnies from Principles in Marie-Claire. I called in Principles today & they said they should be in mid-October or maybe bfore then on webite

pics to go with...
telegraph.co.uk

CROPPED

cropped.jpg

WIDE LEG

wide.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BOOT CUT

bootcut.jpg

Just wanted to note, I am 5'4" & love my wide leg pants ... I am long-waisted & wear them with heels. Wearing them right now in fact. They definitely work :wink: The different styles aren't nearly as exclusive as this article implies ...

thanks a lot for the article and pics. I have to agree with fashionisat-ta. I'm short as well but still wearing wide leg pants. I don't like articles who implies that certain looks, styles, pants, tops etc are only exclusive for certain body types.

The different styles aren't nearly as exclusive as this article implies ...

completely agree...if i were to believe the author i'd almost have to stop wearing pants altogether...they seem to think you need to be tall and lanky to pull almost everything off....^_^ :lol:

i particularly don't agree that cropped trousers only look good on those with long legs...and the picture proves that...sarah jessica parker is pretty petite and she looks great..:heart: i am 5'4 and love cropped pants...

i do agree though that a lot of these styles are hard to pull off, irrespective of your body type...the high waisted trousers in particular imo... and skinnies can be difficult too...

i always have a hard time with pants... i tend to stick to fairly skinny jeans because i have such difficulty finding anything else that looks as flattering... it's quite frustrating...

completely agree...if i were to believe the author i'd almost have to stop wearing pants altogether...they seem to think you need to be tall and lanky to pull almost everything off....^_^ :lol:

i particularly don't agree that cropped trousers only look good on those with long legs...and the picture proves that...sarah jessica parker is pretty petite and she looks great..:heart: i am 5'4 and love cropped pants...

i do agree though that a lot of these styles are hard to pull off, irrespective of your body type...the high waisted trousers in particular imo... and skinnies can be difficult too...

i always have a hard time with pants... i tend to stick to fairly skinny jeans because i have such difficulty finding anything else that looks as flattering... it's quite frustrating...

being petite doesn't mean you don't have long legs..
that's just about proportion...
:wink:

and i guess that if you are tall and lean...you can pretty much wear anything..
so that's an easy way out for the author...that's true...

:P

but imo...
the article does a good job with the pics...
helping to show each style and show an iconic image with a contemporary image and some ideas of what to wear it with...
to me...
a picture is worth a thousand words...
and i just like the pictures...
i will decide for myself which style works best for me...
and to be honest, i think i have all of them in my closet!

:D...:lol:

Those peg legs are nowhere to be found! And I really want a pair :heart:.

I love wide leg pants!! I always feel hippie chic when I wear mine with soft colors.. so whatever. And I'm short, short but proportionate...

I hated when skinny jeans were the only reasonable jeans you could get and everybody and their mothers were wearing them. They tend to look AWFUL in many people.

VERY INTERESTING ARTICLE, BY THE WAY. THANK YOU! :wink:

I actually like skinny jeans now that I found a pair that fits right in the calf area. They're the only kind I seem to be able to wear without the bottom of the jeans ending up under my shoe. That's also why I hate wide jeans/pants for me. I might consider skinny and high waisted trousers if I get any at all, but I buy pants and skirts just to end up with the waistline of it being too big for me even if it fits everywhere else. That's why I've been thinking of being more of a dress girl.

Nice article, I'm not a tremendous fan of jeans and I'm excited that dress pants are having a... period of appreciation. Plus I'm not particularly tall and I wear wide-leg trousers a lot with no problems, just like fashionista-ta. :P I don't normally love the bootcut, but those shiny (Burberry?) trousers in the runway picture are so nice and would look great with an opulent but carefree, possibly baroque-influenced style... I love high-waisted pants, although any of these styles can go high-waisted or not. As for the peg-leg pants, it kind of looks like they are just renaming jodhpurs for another season...

Those peg legs are nowhere to be found! And I really want a pair :heart:.

h&m is doing some really good inexpensive ones..

i just got some from YSL...so good...:heart:

i guess that i really go for pegs...
and a high waisted cigarette style...
it's just what works best on my particular body type...
being high waisted and petite...with curves...

i got 5 pairs of pants yesterday...
all of them cropped...

:P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleeee
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->