UK Vogue February 2024 : Julia Roberts by Lachlan Bailey

An unexpected cover choice, although in a way, also an advertiser-pleasing one. She's got a contract with Chopard, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the earrings are from.

I know Edward seems allergic to glamour, but it's hard to present a movie star like Julia Roberts in any other way, so I look forward to the cover shoot. I think it's online already.

Truly a beautiful photograph of Julia, but is Maya Jama really going to be Meisel's final Vogue cover, possibly ever? Come on. We need better closure than that. I hope that March will not disappoint, but my hopes are very low.

The photography is not working imo, I don´t like how her hair blends with the background.

Here are some pieces of information in regards to this issue's other editorials:

Photographer Scott Trindle captures the attention-grabbing grace of the new voluminous silhouettes, while Jack Davison is in an artful, free-spirited mood. (Vogue UK)

Not a huge fan of Julia, but I can't deny that this cover brings a lot of joy. It reminds me of Vogue Paris under Carine in a way. British Vogue has been producing good covers since November last year; I'm certainly going to miss Edward's tenure.

An unexpected cover choice, although in a way, also an advertiser-pleasing one. She's got a contract with Chopard, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the earrings are from.

I know Edward seems allergic to glamour, but it's hard to present a movie star like Julia Roberts in any other way, so I look forward to the cover shoot. I think it's online already.
How is Edward allergic to glamour? He’s one of the few that’s been giving us glamorous covers especially the ones with Meisel.

This is too good not to share!
20F8802B-E3B1-484F-97F1-59F9AB99FA70.jpeg
My screenshot via British Vogue Instagram.

Yes, it's descriptive text for people with visual impairments. I know it's seen as a WoKe thing, but it's a standard thing to include in alt text.

Personally, I think the cover is awful.
I mean fair, but having so many accolades only to be reduced to a white woman is ridiculous but hilarious.

I mean fair, but having so many accolades only to be reduced to a white woman is ridiculous but hilarious.
But she's not being reduced. People without visual impairments can LITERALLY SEE that she's a white woman. If you're using a screen reader (which is what this text is for) how would you know that? You don't know she's an Oscar winner by looking at her, that's not how alt text is supposed to work.

I wasn’t aware low key thought someone internally was just throwing shade oh well sorry for the blind people I offended :argg:

How is Edward allergic to glamour? He’s one of the few that’s been giving us glamorous covers especially the ones with Meisel.

I've noticed that at various points, in his editor's notes, he's been dismissive of the idea of glamour - the type of glamour that might be associated with 'dressing for the male gaze' - which coming from a male editor of a woman's magazine, is itself just another set of standards put forward by a man for women to follow (if you're into that sort of analysis).

You only have to look through the dreary contents to find very little actual glamour on the pages of UK Vogue, and after a while, even the Meisel-by-numbers covers have left me cold. In comparison, other publications, including UK Bazaar and Tatler, consistently do a much better job of remembering that fashion is a celebration, a transformation, a deep luxury, a hedonistic excess - a way of savouring the best things about life, and having moments that take you above and beyond the mundane.

Or you could buy a sweatshirt from the Vogue shop with a logo on it, and consider that glamour and luxury. There are certainly enough in-house ads inside every issue for them, filling the space where actual paid advertising should be.

If I want war paint and Hollywood waves, I'm doing it because it entertains me, just like every other person who wears those things. I don't want Vogue's shopping advice on sweatshirts, I want to be shown a vision of glorious things.

Julia looks deranged. Edward’s Vogue continues to be one of the worst magazines of all time. He doesn’t have the talent, vision or smarts to lead a publication.

He’s done good work in the past - he styled many of the iconic mid-00’s Vogue Italia stories with Franca and Meisel, but clearly he needs the direction.

But even when you look back at his editorial work from that period - you realize he has no point of view. It’s not to say those stories weren’t great, but there’s no authority in his work. He’s not a Lori, Camilla, Carine, Grace, Tonne, Carlyne, etc.

It’s no wonder his Vogue has been such a failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fs3322
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->