UK Vogue February 2024 : Julia Roberts by Lachlan Bailey

definitely an unexpected cover choice however the background colours and the subject almost all blend into one… but it’s good I guess.

I would’ve smiled like that too if I were staying at Claridge’s penthouse

I've been waiting for at least 15 years for a Julia Roberts cover for Vogue (US or UK) but I've never understood why in her more than 30 year career she's only had one (Vogue US in the 90s) Does Anna Wintour not love Julia Roberts? I love the glamorous 70s style

Julia Roberts looks stunning and ageless. She looks luxurious and as rich as she is. A great cover!

But she's not being reduced. People without visual impairments can LITERALLY SEE that she's a white woman. If you're using a screen reader (which is what this text is for) how would you know that? You don't know she's an Oscar winner by looking at her, that's not how alt text is supposed to work.
True, but….

IMG_3532.jpeg

Curiously, they do sometimes describe the person’s background in detail beyond physical description. Here Irina was described as a “white women” and Adut as a “Black woman of South Sudanese-Australian heritage”

It’s not a big deal, but it is often inconsistent. I’ve noticed it several times over the last year.

I love this cover, I find Julia Roberts quite refreshing for a fashion magazine cover as it rarely appears in one.

Loving the use of Gucci Ancora, it shows that with this styling it’s quite reminiscent of Tom Fords Gucci Era versus the gen z styling of the show.

Julia looks deranged. Edward’s Vogue continues to be one of the worst magazines of all time. He doesn’t have the talent, vision or smarts to lead a publication.

He’s done good work in the past - he styled many of the iconic mid-00’s Vogue Italia stories with Franca and Meisel, but clearly he needs the direction.

But even when you look back at his editorial work from that period - you realize he has no point of view. It’s not to say those stories weren’t great, but there’s no authority in his work. He’s not a Lori, Camilla, Carine, Grace, Tonne, Carlyne, etc.

It’s no wonder his Vogue has been such a failure.
Amen to that.

Emmanuelle would have nailed it! Smiling woman in full glamour with a vintage feel is her forte!

The cover is quite tragic.
She is wearing Ancora and it’s quite lackluster…
Now that I think about it: Sabato had Julia attending his show and yet decided to have the campaign he had…Choices, choices!

The ed is better, well styled. I like it! I don’t love it but it’s what Edward can give us.

His last issue better be photographed by Meisel…

I do feel somewhat relieved that I'm able to like and appreciate a cover of British Vogue because I have just been finding Edward Enninful's Vogue a massive dud of late. Massively here for Enninful favouring Lachlan Bailey lately, and for giving Julia Roberts a cover. The cover itself is gorgeous, love the red Gucci, the glamour, the hair and of course Julia's megawatt smile!

I don’t really care about Julia Roberts but I do like the cover quite a bit! Not a flat greige studio cover is a win for me

OH GOSH she looks crazy on the cover.
I usually LOVE her and she IS very beautiful but that shot ain't it.
Anybody else would have done much better.
That background also doesn't work.

As for the editorial, it's not saying much.
I only like the red dress shot.
All the other photos are way too busy.
That huge hair is way too distracting.

It’s like she’s drowning happily in melted chocolate…

Julia looks great and fresh, full of positive energy. The photography is terrible, bad lighting, bad direction, bad post-production. The raw flashlight style only works in hyperglamorous setting, it's always been like that.

The styling is too safe. I am so tired of the person being the person as they are. I miss too much the transformative power of clothing and make up. Back with Testino and 00s Meisel all actresses and actors got transformed way beyond their lukewarm usual visuals and nobody ever complained about that, and all of they still were famous back then.

I feel, even with this and YSL, that I am living in a huge fashion Walmart. Even with Madame Ross , Julia, Gisele resurgence, Linda, Daria, and etc. it is not what it was, and in a bad way - we have not advanced further. Same old barely any effort into styling and change, zero concept or story, product.

I was reading often as a guest. I know we all eventually conform as a group deprived of any good fashion since the beginning of 2010s, but the amount of "yassss, b*tch, work!!!" for basic shots of Linda or Daria were astonishing.

Fashion is like my first crush, my first ex after a long-term love affair: I hate what it is, but I still keep looking, hoping for the better times. It hurts every time as it is only worse and I keep remembering the good days. I miss digesting and contemplating in fashion.

Single white female, hahaha. It isn't new, but now sounds ikr.

The proportions on the cover are a mess. That coat being short just immediately makes me look at her thighs.

Is the cover a mess? Yes. Is the editorial very lacking? Also yes. Is this somehow better than a lot of Edward's outputs for the magazine? Lastly, yes.

They tried for Testino, but we got influencer doing a shoot in a hotel to get a backlog of content to use for the next month or so. Funnily enough, this is where yet another one of Meisel's studio shoots really would have come in handy because she is an engaging beauty that deserves the simplicity when the photographer and direction isn't up to scratch. Either the studio, or the studio set up used for Zara's Bourdin-esque recent campaign just for the sake of all that hair!

That leg in the red dress though, doing some heavy lifting here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamballe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->