UK Vogue September 2022 : Linda Evangelista by Steven Meisel

She'll always have one of the great faces in the industry.
Like Suzy Parker and Lauren Hutton.
But burying her under all that fabric is a bit depressing.
I do like the cover, even if a bit formulaic for British Vogue at this point.

Y'all will eat up anything by Meisel at this point. 5/10.

LOL Can you blame the people for being excited? We’re deep in a fashion famine right now.

With a whole generation of mediocrity taking over fashion— defined not by creative talent but by representation this and representation that, even Avedon by Meisel & Co. on autopilot is a breath of purely concentrated fresh fashion air. It may not be great, but it’s what’s so much needed right now.

All the taping, tucking, pulling and digital trickery still has her looking recognizably the older woman she’s become in 2022. Just take a gander at another older woman on Paper’s cover— acting/looking/retouched to resemble a cheap People of Walmart 2D Bratz Doll… I’ll gladly take this Meisel & Co on autopilot anytime, any day, anywhere.

I wonder how much input she had on the styling. Seems like a very deliberate decision how much they covered up her body.

I wonder how much input she had on the styling. Seems like a very deliberate decision how much they covered up her body.

She mentions it in the interview. It’s what she feels comfortable with at the moment. She says she’s hesitant to call this a come back because she’s not ready to show her body etc.

Not the best Linda + Meisel cover but it's still better than the majority of the covers and eds we've gotten this year so far, so IDK why some people in here are being snarky about this.

I'm even more surprised that a Dolce coat made it onto a Vogue cover in 2022. And it's British Vogue, no less. I thought they were done for. :lol: :P

Not the best Linda + Meisel cover but it's still better than the majority of the covers and eds we've gotten this year so far, so IDK why some people in here are being snarky about this.

I'm even more surprised that a Dolce coat made it onto a Vogue cover in 2022. And it's British Vogue, no less. I thought they were done for. :lol: :P

SJP wore D&G Alta Moda on a Vogue US cover last year!

I love every single thing about this. And how all her friends came together to uplift her in a time where she is actively healing. This is what fashion is all about. No matter what, Linda can never be out of fashion or out of style. Very beautiful. I hope she sees how we still think she is as beautiful as ever. I also hope she wins the lawsuit against CoolSculpting.

I share most of the enthusiasm for Linda's comeback expressed in this thread. I just wish it were not tainted by the smell of pity (for her recent plastic surgery ordeal) I detect in the background of this sudden rediscovery of her. We all know how eager Edward Enninful is to play the zeitgeisty-"we are all beautiful" tune.
Linda deserves this and a zillion of future covers in her own right. She is the biggest of them all.

p.s.: I don't think I'll rush to buy the magazine though. I still own the blueprints for this, dozens of issues of Vogue Italia from the nineties.

I genuinely needed a full 24 hours before commenting on this, because I was just blown away and needed to compose myself. First the return of Gisele Bundchen and now Edward Enninful bestowing upon us the return of none other than fashion's ultimate modeling icon Linda Evangelista!

Spectacular cover! It's so bold, graphic, direct and will no doubt be a head-turner on shelves. The retro (and sympathetic) styling from Edward Enninful is wonderful, love the use of Richard Quinn and do not dislike a single photograph from the cover feature - each just as sublime as the last.

Linda's triumphant return to the cover of British Vogue has even made headline news here in England. Such a thrill to see the cover being a topic of conversation on various British news stations.

The issue is due on sale Tuesday but I'm praying to the fashion gods above that I have mine in the mail before then! Occasions like this are such a reminder of our obsession with fashion and all-things print! :heart:

One of the most memorable covers in recent years. A big win for British Vogue and a huge win for fashion!

"She is keen to make clear that for this Vogue cover and fashion story, make-up artist Pat McGrath gently drew her face, jaw and neck back with tape and elastics. “That’s not my jaw and neck in real life – and I can’t walk around with tape and elastics everywhere.”

I'm very glad they also "discuss ageing" in this issue, what can possibly go wrong.

Ugh, spoke too soon yesterday about receiving my subscription copy! Already noticed other subscribers have received their copies today but nothing for me. The suspense for more Linda is killing me…

Any other British Vogue subscribers care to enlighten us? @[B]tigerrouge[/B] @[B]LastNight[/B] :heart:

The only thing I saw this morning was my subscription copy of Vanity Fair.

I typically receive my copy of Vogue so much later after everyone else, that I'm almost convinced they pay someone at Conde Nast to sit and fart on it for a week before sending it out, because of all the whinging I do about the content.

Ugh, spoke too soon yesterday about receiving my subscription copy! Already noticed other subscribers have received their copies today but nothing for me. The suspense for more Linda is killing me…

Any other British Vogue subscribers care to enlighten us? @[B]tigerrouge[/B] @[B]LastNight[/B] :heart:

You just prompted me to go and check, and yep there it was! Cover is so stunning in real life. Quick review below, apologies in advance for my inability to identify models!

Review:
338 pages
(ish)

Back in Bloom (12 pages, including article)
Linda Evangelista by Steven Meisel
Styled by Edward Enninful
Goes without saying but it's stunning and there's a couple of extra pictures in there I haven't seen posted anywhere else yet.

Desire Lines (12 pages)
Multiple models by David Sims
Styled by Benjamin Bruno

Sorry to say I've no idea who the new crop of models are these days, so can't ID them (also can't see model credits anywhere). Feels like a typical Sims shoot for Vogue Paris back in the day. Weird mix of backgrounds, including an ugly wallpapered wall that Sims seems to love. Not really my thing but others might enjoy.

Future Proof (12 pages, 9 pics + 2 pages for the article, 1 title page)

Multiple models by Rafael Pavarotti
Styled by Kate Phelan
Feature on Bottega Venetta + the new creative director Matthieu Blazy. Again, don't know any of the models! Really nice studio shoot - mix of an. off white backdrop and a yellow-y backdrop. Models have their hair sprayed different neon colours.

High Definition (14 pages)
Multiple models by Sam Rock
Styled by Kate Phelan

Shoot featuring Naomi, Kate, Raquel etc. that we've already seen posted.

In-between Days (10 pages)
Multiple models by Venetia Scott
Styled by Venetia Scott
Nice enough shoot, nothing groundbreaking. Different models posing in front of suburban houses, under bridges etc. Mix of animal prints, lace and "punk knits".

Moss Universe (4 pages, including article)
Kate Moss by Carlijn Jacobs
Styled by Kate Phelan

Feature on Kate's new wellness brand.

Fashion's New World (18 pages, including article)

"15 modern change makers" by different photographers- same feature US Vogue previewed on Instagram (Demna, Telfar, Allesandro etc.)

+

4 page feature on Laura Kuenssberg photographed by Paul Wetherell, article by Kerry McDermott
4 page feature on Ketanji Brown Jackson photographed by Annie Leibovitz, article by Imeime Umana

-

It's a nice enough issue and it seems like there's healthy chunk of ads. Some lovely pics throughout, but Linda is the highlight. It feels like there's a lot in it from my quick glance through, but I have a feeling I'll get stuck on Linda and Meisel for a good few days before I delve deeper into the rest!

Last edited:
Goes without saying but it's stunning and there's a couple of extra pictures in there I haven't seen posted anywhere else yet.

Oh, this has me so excited!! I'm so thrilled that there's more to the story than those previews alone. Thank you so much for the review! Can't wait to get this issue now.

Oh, this has me so excited!! I'm so thrilled that there's more to the story than those previews alone. Thank you so much for the review! Can't wait to get this issue now.

You're welcome! I think there's 4 additional shots in there that we haven't seen anywhere else yet. I checked Vogue's Instagram + website and had a quick scroll through this thread but couldn't see them - so hopefully I'm right and people won't be disappointed! There's three new b/w shots and one new colour pic :smile:

You just prompted me to go and check, and yep there it was! Cover is so stunning in real life. Quick review below, apologies in advance for my inability to identify models!

Review:
338 pages
(ish)

Desire Lines (12 pages)
Multiple models by David Sims
Styled by Benjamin Bruno

Sorry to say I've no idea who the new crop of models are these days, so can't ID them (also can't see model credits anywhere). Feels like a typical Sims shoot for Vogue Paris back in the day. Weird mix of backgrounds, including an ugly wallpapered wall that Sims seems to love. Not really my thing but others might enjoy.

Future Proof (12 pages, 9 pics + 2 pages for the article, 1 title page)

Multiple models by Rafael Pavarotti
Styled by Kate Phelan
Feature on Bottega Venetta + the new creative director Matthieu Blazy. Again, don't know any of the models! Really nice studio shoot - mix of an. off white backdrop and a yellow-y backdrop. Models have their hair sprayed different neon colours.

High Definition (14 pages)
Multiple models by Sam Rock
Styled by Kate Phelan

Shoot featuring Naomi, Kate, Raquel etc. that we've already seen posted.

In-between Days (10 pages)
Multiple models by Venetia Scott
Styled by Venetia Scott
Nice enough shoot, nothing groundbreaking. Different models posing in front of suburban houses, under bridges etc. Mix of animal prints, lace and "punk knits".

Moss Universe (4 pages, including article)
Kate Moss by Carlijn Jacobs
Styled by Kate Phelan

Feature on Kate's new wellness brand.

Fashion's New World (18 pages, including article)

"15 modern change makers" by different photographers- same feature US Vogue previewed on Instagram (Demna, Telfar, Allesandro etc.)

+

4 page feature on Laura Kuenssberg photographed by Paul Wetherell, article by Kerry McDermott
4 page feature on Ketanji Brown Jackson photographed by Annie Leibovitz, article by Imeime Umana

-

It's a nice enough issue and it seems like there's healthy chunk of ads. Some lovely pics throughout, but Linda is the highlight. It feels like there's a lot in it from my quick glance through, but I have a feeling I'll get stuck on Linda and Meisel for a good few days before I delve deeper into the rest!

THANK YOU dear, you just made my day! :heart:

My biggest curiosity is to know what Poppy Kain and Julia Sarr do in this magazine, both are credited for years as fashion director and appear once every 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->