US GQ October 2020 : Jonathan Majors by Shaniqwa Jarvis

these covers of GQ are starting to all blend together...

Love the colours and clean background against the busy print but what did they do to him in these pics? They made him look like he has a hangover. I've seen way better shots of him so its not an issue of not being photogenic. Am not too conversant with Shaniqwa's work, went to her website and saw it she is good very beautiful portraits. Not sure what happened here.

Sorry to say, but everything looks unappealing here. I thought the Travis Scott cover was the worst one so far, but this one takes the cake.

Their covers are so cheap. GQ International is leagues better than this generic edition ran by an editor whose taste is manifested with his layout choice.

Their covers are so cheap. GQ International is leagues better than this generic edition ran by an editor whose taste is manifested with his layout choice.

LOL! So true, it really starts and ends there for him. His tenure is defined by splashy design. Oh yeah, and getting a few hypebeast advertisers on board.
I still want to know why Jon Tietz is being 'benched', as the ballers who this magazine seems so obsessed about would say, when he's clearly the only stylist with chops that could define the aesthetic of this edition.

He’s an amazing actor that deserves better

Agreed! I was cautiously optimistic when I saw this thread title but the result is abysmal. Normally I’d say kudos to GQ for giving Jonathan his first big cover, he’s a star in the making, but they did him dirty.

This new EIC is trying to tick too many boxes. He's all over the place. The contents are still pretty good, but the covers leave a lot to be desired. He should be thanking god he has a great team to work with. If it wasn't for them this magazine would have folded by now.

Will Welch has been the editor of GQ for almost two years now, yet I still have zero clue as to what his (and Mobolaji Dawodu’s) creative vision is for the magazine.

GQ under Jim Nelson and Jim Moore was pretty staid and formulaic (almost every cover guy wore a variation of the Burberry trench coat, white shirt, and black pants ensemble) in their final years as editor and creative director, but at least you look at every page of the magazine and each guy there is unmistakably a GQ man.

I surely miss Details a lot more now.

This new EIC is trying to tick too many boxes. He's all over the place. The contents are still pretty good, but the covers leave a lot to be desired. He should be thanking god he has a great team to work with. If it wasn't for them this magazine would have folded by now.
I agree with the long-form stories still being strong! I read the September issue almost cover to cover.

I received my issue last week but was so unenthused by the cover I didn’t actually open the issue until today. It’s only 94 pages, but actually the contents aren’t bad. I wish the magazine had a more cohesive identity and the art direction is not appealing to me, but the writing is solid and there was some real eye candy in this issue.

US GQ October 2020

The Moment Belongs to Jonathan Majors

Photographer: Shaniqwa Jarvis
Stylist: Mobolaji Dawodu
Grooming: Sincere Gilles
Cast: Jonathan Majors

US GQ Digital Edition

US GQ October 2020

Fantasy Pick

Photographer: Melodie McDaniel
Stylist: George Cortina
Hair: Jerrod Roberts
Makeup: Hee Soon Kwon
Cast: Christian McCaffrey

US GQ Digital Edition

US GQ October 2020

Lil Baby's Big Gains

Photographer: Ahmed Barber & Donte Maurice
Stylist: Mobolaji Dawodu
Grooming: Nate Poston
Cast: Lil Baby

US GQ Digital Edition

They should style all their editorials like they did Christian McCaffrey :brows:

They should style all their editorials like they did Christian McCaffrey :brows:

LOL. I'm actually surprised that this athlete agreed to be styled and photographed like that considering his base are probably mostly straight men. I mean, just in case the pin-up shots in the edit didn't drill the Sean Cody elements home, there's that last shot which is also the last shot in the magazine. The 50s 'masseuse' waiting for his male client in some sort of seedy parlour.

It's good, but it's very out of place and far removed from this magazine's aesthetic. But, you know, some are happy and that's all that matters. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->