US Harper’s Bazaar June/July 2022 : Dr. Jill Biden by Cass Bird

A cover of contradictions.

If the image is supposed to suggest status, the impression is more "ladies must wait their turn outside on the stairs". The coverlines speak of agitation - pride, protest, Roe vs Wade, but apparently summer is also about "ease".

A cover of contradictions.

If the image is supposed to suggest status, the impression is more "ladies must wait their turn outside on the stairs". The coverlines speak of agitation - pride, protest, Roe vs Wade, but apparently summer is also about "ease".

Agreed-the "ease" coverline was a strange choice when grouped with the two coverlines below it. With everything going on in the US, the summer is shaping up to be about anything but ease.

The Biden administration has its lowest approval ratings of its presidency, so it seems an odd time to put a Biden on the cover, even if first ladies usually have higher approval than the president.

This cover is giving nothing. It’s so drab. Could they not have done a different background? I saw there was another cover that’s candid but still giving nothing.

The art direction makes this look more patriotic towards France (could even well be Brigitte Macron from afar) but I somehow kinda like this.

There’s a hint of life in the cover image which I can appreciate. US Bazaar covers have been so drab over recent years that the sight of a smile is very much appreciated.

Don't think it's a bad photo of her, but it feels impersonal and the mixed messaging of the cover is odd.

"A Pandemic. A War. A Country at its Breaking Point", as the Instagram caption reads yet she's smiling ear to ear. And the "summer of ease", as others pointed out, is teased alongside serious existential threats.

Melania's been in the press lately complaining about not getting a Vogue cover during her tenure as First Lady, and it helps keep Vogue in the conversation and endears the magazine to its target audience. Maybe Samira wanted some of that free exposure for HB.

The second image is better.

Looks like Glenda never left. Cliched. Down to the red white and blue. Can't believe Cass Bird gets to shoot a First Lady and this is the result.

I like her public image, but this cover is dull and the image is certainly not cover-worthy.

This is exactly why I am against putting politicians (first ladies included) on the covers of fashion magazines. They bring nothing to the table. Give them a feature inside and call it a day. This looks like an urinary pad advert for older women.

the Vogue profile was heaps better. The hand placement seem like she didn't know what to do with her hand so was just instructed to hold the wall.

Also the imagery this depicts. The Vogue makes her approachable (save for the fact that they didnt hide the fact that it was shot in the White House), as opposed to this one... just screams Capitol Hill Senator.

This is exactly why I am against putting politicians (first ladies included) on the covers of fashion magazines. They bring nothing to the table. Give them a feature inside and call it a day. This looks like an urinary pad advert for older women.

Perfectly put, and I couldn't agree more.....leave the politics off fashion magazine covers! There are plenty of models and actors to choose from! Biden's approval ratings are in the toilet, so putting her the cover now makes zero sense.

We should have a drinking game where you take a sip every time Samira signs off on a god awful cover. I'll admit that this isn't their worst, though. Couldn't care less about Dr. Biden but I suppose she's relevant to the American reader. It really does visually appear French.

I like Dr. Jill Biden, and that's not a bad image of her, but I'm so sick of politicians on the cover of fashion magazines.
It's cringey and crass, whether I like them or not. Politics in America have become as stage managed, as the career of any Hollywood star.
Fashion and politics have become way too entangled, and I blame Anna for that.

I sincerely hate how it's become de rigueur to give female politicians/first ladies magazine covers.

Sometimes I belive they add the "Dr." to pissed Melania, ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->