US Harper’s Bazaar September 2024 : Naomi Campbell by Malick Bodian

Now she looks like a wet cat…but at least it’s something different to her recent works.

The icon list is better this year, I hope Chaka Khan gets a cover.

I won't mind if this ends up on my local Bazaar, assuming it's a global deal as every September.
The lighting and the wardrobe are nice, airy and breezy.

I don't think anyone can make Naomi do anything she doesn't want to do (or wear). I only wonder what enticed her to consider modelling a little for this cover story, when the rest of them have been getting her "living statue" level of posing.

There's something nostalgic about it. When I saw the editoriale, immediately came to my mind her september US Vogue and the Peter Lindbergh's photoshoot from Vogue Italia. Obviously the clothes and the photos are not the same, but the vibe is there and I love it.

I think that was in their mind when they did the shoot, and maybe that's the reason Naomi is not giving "living statue".

Are there any other photographers left other than these Wintour's pets? It is not even a star one but just a model with camera :rofl:
Does Nazario know that he is not in vogue anymore? Why he brings (very questionable) vogue in harpers?

Last edited:
^ Kamala's impact 😍

This magazine often is the opposite, everyone looks a bit miserable and/or bored. Not to be all "women need to smile" but.... I'm glad people are looking happy in this magazine again. IJBOL is an aspirational lifestyle if ever there was one.

Malick has a style thats reminiscent of those 70s/80s African photographers. If he perfects it he will have a place in the industry.
I can't claim to know anything of the photographers you mention, but as I write this from Botswana, it's hit me how essential it feels to now have some authentic depictions of Africa in the fashion editorial landscape, certainly beyond the tired "safari through the white man's lens" trope is concerned.

What I like about Malick's work is that he shoots a lot in the continent (although a bit too often in his home country of Senegal) and brings his own experience as an African to his images. Of course that means that certain people here won't get it because his perspective doesn't fit the Western/Euro standard...:innocent:

However, if I go back to these images (which actually look like they were shot in Paris), there's something a bit stiff about Naomi's modelling (perhaps no surprise), and again the images don't form a cohesive story as is often the case these days. Great approach on paper but not in actual execution this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patda02
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->