US Harper’s Bazaar September 2024 : Naomi Campbell by Malick Bodian

All they have to do right now I think is to update the layout and design direction of this magazine and make it fresher.

Also I noticed that a few big brands doesn't have ads in this issue (Ralph Lauren, Balenciaga, Loewe, Burberry...), I wonder why...

All they have to do right now I think is to update the layout and design direction of this magazine and make it fresher.

Also I noticed that a few big brands doesn't have ads in this issue (Ralph Lauren, Balenciaga, Loewe, Burberry...), I wonder why...
The magazine has a light refresh in the headers of it's sections. They definitely look better.

In terms of ads, obviously the advertisers you mention cut spending on print ads and were very selective where to advertise.

I'm just re-posting them with the layout, for the freaks like me who like seeing the context of editorials :lol:

US Harper's Bazaar September 2024

"Like No Other"
Photographer: Malick Bodian
Stylist: Carlos Nazario
Hair: Jawara
Makeup: Pat McGrath, Adam Fleischhauer
Manicure: Alexandra Janowski
Model: Naomi Campbell

US Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

"The Vanguards"
Photographer: Théo de Gueltzl
Stylists: Chloe Grace Press, Yohana Lebasi
Hair: Ali Pirzadeh, Joey George
Makeup: Bea Sweet, Janessa Pare
Grooming: May Komorowski
Featuring: Chaka Khan, Chelsea Clinton, Jon M. Chu, Willem Dafoe, Amy Serald, Naomi Acke

"Rhapsody in Blue"
Photographer: Gabriel Moses
Stylist: Carlos Nazario
Hair: Cyndia Harvey
Makeup: Thomas De Kluyver
Models: Akon Changkou, Onyinyechi Chijioke, Kayako Higuchi & Lara Menezes

"Keep It Moving"
Photography: Anthony Seklaoui
Stylist: Malina Joseph Gilchrist
Hair: Mustafa Yanaz
Makeup: Jen Myles
Model: Rebecca Longendyke

"The Whole Tory"
Photographer: Sharif Hamza
Stylist: Yashua Simmons
Hair: Amanda Scott, Lacy Redway
Makeup: Berta Camal, Susie Sobol
Featuring: Tory Burch
Models: Emm Arruda, Barbara Valente, Kuka Williams

Last edited:
"Inner Strength"
Photographer: Pegah Farahmand
Styling: Vittoria Cerciello
Hair: Tamara McNaughton
Makeup: Yumi Lee
Models: Emmi Freeman, Ylang Messenguiral, Valerie Scherzinger, Tasha Tilberg

"Archive: Naomi Campbell, June 1994"
Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier
Model: Naomi Campbell

it's all so DRAB and inexpensive and where's the GLAMOUR ??? I don't like a single photo or a single story, they feel like homeless people and I'm going to scream but... I miss Glenda and her colorful funky fresh covers, with the same catchphrase on every cover ahahaha :rofl: and with LOTS of models, with great photographers. Now under Samira, US Bazaar is all soo obscure:
- the images are very dark, no light
- the models are boring
- the photographers are unknown
- the styling is like street walker VS what we used to have

This magazine for me has an even worse identity that what Italian Vogue has had from Franca Sozzani to that stupid man whose name I want to forget. Samira is ALL ABOUT POLITICS and ''you know what''. She's like Edward, making it all about one thing but the rest of the magazine suffers from a VISION and that's why Anna Wintour won the war against Edward.

At the end of the day an editor-in-chief's mission isn't JUST about directing and picking up covers and giving instructions, they need to have a vision, what else can you credit Samira for BESIDES inclusivity ???????? Nothing else, same with Edward.

Samira is ALL ABOUT POLITICS and ''you know what''. She's like Edward, making it all about one thing but the rest of the magazine suffers from a VISION and that's why Anna Wintour won the war against Edward.

Samira's perspective is totally different than Edward's. I get it, we're all supposed to be afraid of the "woke" boogeyman, but Edward's Vogue sucked because it was all about HIM. Samira's Bazaar is quite thoughtful, mature and (for lack of a better word that doesn't sound corny) womanly. @Phuel sums up the strengths of this issue quite well, IMO.

Edited to add: That said... it's not like I'm buying these magazines :lol:

Last edited:
I can see Samira has been taking notes from French Bazaar, not complaining. I'll probably purchase this issue instead of American Vogue.

Samira's perspective is totally different than Edward's. I get it, we're all supposed to be afraid of the "woke" boogeyman, but Edward's Vogue sucked because it was all about HIM. Samira's Bazaar is quite thoughtful, mature and (for lack of a better word that doesn't sound corny) womanly. @Phuel sums up the strengths of this issue quite well, IMO.

Edited to add: That said... it's not like I'm buying these magazines :lol:

AHAAHHA gosh your sense of humor is truly good. Very dry ahaha a tad spicy at times ahaha. No yeah and the thing is, because people might misinterpret my words sometimes in posts, when I mention this, it's not that I'm against inclusivity / diversity and whichever word the industry or any of us want to use to refer to a more inclusive casting in magazines, ads, and runways, I'm all for it and I'm a person of color as well.

HOWEVER and that's the big however, the whole woke boogeyman as you call it, it's not funny it's sad and worrying for me because nowadays we cast people on their gender / their view on politics INSTEAD of real modeling skills and BEAUTY (the basis of the industry fyi) so you have these people at the top who say:
- ''let's take someone who is 80 times a healthy body shape and say that now it's great to be like just coz''
- or let's take someone who says ''today I identify as a cat or as a person who have 4 penises or who want to be seen as a flower''
- or someone who can't walk on a runway but because a wheel chair is visually pleasing now in 2024 then it's all good and let's make a mockery of that and have them ''included''
and all of THAT, then yeah I'm 3000% against that. Let's be honest, I've been working in fashion for 20 years and many many people are from the LGBTQ+ community and I'm all for this and have many friends who are from that community and proud of it and I'm to them as open and tolerant towards anyone else; but to say ''NOW in magazines we want ''woke'' craziness AGAINST truly beautiful pictures of real models'' then that's what I don't like. Samira and Edward are people who PUSH THAT AGENDA. That's why, living between France and Spain I see how the situation in the US with Trump and his crazy followers is not that ''crazy'' when you see his people rejecting the ''woke'' wave while others embrace it thinking : ''it's the next wave of tolerance''.

Never be afraid to criticise the content of any magazine - a commercial product which primarily exists to promote the business interests of companies.

There's no point these publications lecturing their readers about empowerment or sustainability when they are so dependent on commercial deals with companies that they cannot use their content to address issues regarding supply chains or worker exploitation in any realistic detail. They can make vague reference to it, but they can never speak in precise terms about who has been caught out.

If magazines were interested in doing "the right thing", there was nothing to stop them doing it decades ago. The winds change when companies sense there's money to be made, not a moment before.

Advertising, PR and the media know how to manipulate your emotions - magazines, they're your friends, they speak for you, they stand up for you. They serve fashion's mega-corporations, while showing you a friendly face, in the hope that you'll feel represented enough to buy in and pay up in time for next season's profit announcement. When it comes to human diversity, billionaires are more alike than they are different.

this issue and also elle us sept makes Vogue look like a lifestyle magazine (without fashion content on it). kkkk

Love "A Sense of Place" fashion editorial by Wijngaard. It is perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crykiddos
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->