US InStyle August 2019 : Janelle Monae by Pamela Hanson

I love that Laura goes with some not obvious choice of cover star. Kudos

Yes to this! I love Janelle, and she always photographs beautifully (although when you analyze her face expression she looks a bit surprised here, but anyway). And the cover is very eye-catching.

Why can't she ever get a decent cover? This styling is horrid and the photography is amateur hour.
Such a shame, Pamela can do way better than this!

Photographed by Pamela Hanson
Styling: Julia von Boehm
Hair: Nikki Nelms
Makeup: Jessica Smalls
Manicure: Sreyin Peng

instyle.com

The image itself is lovely.

The art direction leaves MUCH to be desired

There are always great ideas bubbling at InStyle. It is the execution of them that I often have problems with. I don’t dislike it but it definitely leaves you wanting more.
Mind you which US glossy doesn’t. At least, they seem to have fun at InStyle.

Can they stop styling her with hats? I know it’s her trademark, but Fashion magazines need to try harder. If they can shoot Ariana without her signature ponytail, then you can damn well ask Janelle to take off a hat every now and then.

I love this !!! and I love her. This is how you do it.

What makes that ed good is the idea of Janelle, not your everyday mainstream celebrity, on a cover of a magazine like Instyle.
That being said, the ed is quite generic and her very « posy » attitude clash with the set and the ed. It could have worked with David LaChapelle or Jean Paul Goude But it’s weird with Pamela Hanson.

It slightly gives me GQ circa 2008/2009 vibes..

I've been very much a fan of what Laura Brown has been doing with InStyle, but I couldn't possibly get behind a cover like this. Ugh, hate everything from the juvenile styling to the vapid cover shoot concept (and the fact Janelle Monae's on the cover isn't helping).

Now... Diane Keaton on the main newsstand cover would've been a moment to remember (and for the newsstand). A total missed opportunity!

I love the jumping shot but the rest is a little too contrived she normally photographs much better. Love Dianne Keatons cover

Janelle's cover is beautiful. The ed is okay.
Dianne Keaton's cover just looks stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->