US Marie Claire March 2020 : Emily Blunt by Denise Hewitt, Lucci Mia & Genesis Gil

Surprisingly (or not, cause their covers have been quite nice lately), looks more expensive and chic than Emily's Bazaar UK. My favourite is the first one, shot by Denise Hewitt. The lightning, the fabric, the makeup... everything works there!

The photography looks really cheap to me?

In the first one the lighting is too intense. In the 2nd the lighting is uneven and not strong enough. The 3rd is nice but it's not really striking as a cover. Just my opinion! I love the styling and beauty, however.

Wow, not a single good cover, not a result you want when doing so many covers! Emily just doesn't work, for me, in print! She truly comes alive on screen.

I love Emily, but these leave me cold.

The photography looks really cheap to me?

In the first one the lighting is too intense. In the 2nd the lighting is uneven and not strong enough. The 3rd is nice but it's not really striking as a cover. Just my opinion! I love the styling and beauty, however.

The photography is done by group of teenagers at a non-profit. They are learning photography. That's why the lighting is so bad.

I like the drama of the first cover, that should have been the only one imo...

My sentiments exactly! I did immediately gasp when I scrolled upon the first cover on Instagram yesterday - was love at first sight. I love the lighting, the cropping, the drama, the red lip... the whole works. :heart:

For a bunch of students I'd say not too bad overall including the cover and editorial. The lighting is just a too bit intense sometimes.

The lighting angle in the first one is no friend to anyone, and whoever shot these does not yet realise that.

More reading is needed about old Hollywood and how to shoot actresses to their best advantage.

Going off on a tangent - one thing I really dislike about the digital age of photography is the lost consideration given to the importance of getting the set-up right. Instead of being forced to conserve film and therefore being forced to put every effort into getting the shot just right before you take it, it's more a case of 'take a thousand shots and filter the best one into oblivion'. There's a level of thought - of skilled preparation - that's been taken out of the entire process.

Interesting initiative, thanks for the heads up Lucy!

I do like the first cover. It ticks all the boxes - fashion, beauty, and some mystery. It may sound simple but a lot of working photographers struggle to deliver that.
The other two students should stay in school and perfect their craft. Cover 2 is generic and the Elle Worldwide thread is awash with those type of images, and regarding cover....let's just say having one Petra Collins is bad enough.

Got this in the mail today. 182 pages.

Review:

"Blue Jean Baby"
Photographer: Robert Nethery
Stylist: Kate Lanphear
Model: Sabine Glud

"Blank Canvas"
Photographer: Natalie Kogan
Stylist: Julia Gall
Model: Jesie Li

"Line Edit"
Photographer: Robert Nethery