US Vanity Fair July 2007 : The Africa Issue by Annie Leibovitz

I don't like either of the covers.
But props to the first one for using George Clooney :heart::crush::innocent:

The covers...

scanned by MMA

Scan #3...Oops...I accidentally tore one of Madonna's covers:lol::flower:

I love the cover of Don Cheadle and Iman the best.

THANKS FOR THE SCANS, MMA! :heart: I like the one with the Queen of Jordan. Also the one with Djimon and Brad.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with all the covers. They're all so boring, and some of the cover subjects are questionable (cough George Bush cough). But at least the content looks interesting.

Just out of curiosity, what cover did you get MMA? :flower:

The only thing that saves those covers is the colour scheme, red-white-black always makes a statement and I suppose the idea is to echo the (red) campaign.

With regards to the two big cover shots we've seen so far, Jay-Z looks like someone woke him up too early and couldn't really care about Africa because he just wants someone to fetch him some coffee NOW. Fair Trade coffee, of course.

But it'll be the usual Vanity Fair, with a vapid cover leading on to intelligent contents. This is one magazine I do get for the articles.

Last edited by a moderator:
The covers...

scanned by MMA

Scan #3...Oops...I accidentally tore one of Madonna's covers:lol::flower:

Thanks for scanning! I want the Iman and Madonna cover, too bad there is no Liya cover :(

from wwd...

It's going to take more than one coffee table to carry July's Vanity Fair, since there will be 20 editions of the Condé Nast monthly for consumers to collect. The Bono guest-edited Africa issue will hit newsstands today. And if overfilling pockets at newsstands isn't enough to attract readers' attention, perhaps a giant display on Madison Avenue will be. Barneys New York will display all 20 of the covers in its windows through June 19.

Annie Leibovitz shot all the covers to capture what looks like a game of telephone among international icons discussing the crisis in Africa. The list of subjects read like a who's who of Africa awareness: Warren Buffett, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Desmond Tutu, Oprah Winfrey, Djimon Hounsou, Chris Rock, Muhammad Ali, Jay-Z, Bill and Melinda Gates, and Iman, to name a few. Each photo shows two subjects conversing with each other — Don Cheadle talking with Barack Obama, Madonna speaking with Maya Angelou, Queen Rania of Jordan speaking to Bono. "These are incredible people of our time who all have a passion for and a connection to Africa," said Leibovitz. "It was important to me to really show the humanity in their faces."

While most people would jump at the chance to be photographed by Leibovitz, celebrities, world leaders and policy makers are busy people. So the photographer flew to locations from Japan to Omaha to South Korea over the course of six weeks to produce the covers (none of which were shot in Africa, though a majority of stories inside the magazine were photographed there). Only the subjects of two covers — President George W. Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, and Alicia Keys and Iman — were photographed together.

Meanwhile, Bono wrote his own editor's letter, saying he was "in awe" of Leibovitz, and called Carter "a true rock star (checklist: mad hair, natty dresser and de rigueur unrepentant smoking, etc. I looked like his manager.)."

It seems Vanity Fair did a 'Keira' with George C, this his third cover in like 13(?) months.

The only thing that saves those covers is the colour scheme, red-white-black always makes a statement and I suppose the idea is to echo the (red) campaign.

Yes...there are lots of various RED ads and references to the (red) campaign throughout the issue

Thanks so much for scaning the covers MMA,i think this is a cool idea.

Here are all the covers from vanityfair.com
posl01_onthecover0707.jpg

posl02_onthecover0707.jpg

posl03_onthecover0707.jpg

posl05_onthecover0707.jpg

posl04_onthecover0707.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member