US Vanity Fair March 2006 : Keira Knightley, Scarlett Johansson & Tom Ford by Annie Leibovitz

so does their meeting for the cover have anything to do with Scarlett and Keira *supposedly* hating each other? Word has it that they specifically requested to be sat far apart at the a recent awards show:ninja:

Fox in the Snow said:
so does their meeting for the cover have anything to do with Scarlett and Keira *supposedly* hating each other? Word has it that they specifically requested to be sat far apart at the a recent awards show:ninja:

That's the first time I've heard of something like this...:blink:

Faith Akiyama said:
Keira Knightley said on Ellen today that her and Scarlett did not know about the nudity in advance -- that's contrary to what Tom has said to the press...:innocent::innocent:

If what Keira said is true, then Rachel M.'s reaction is perfectly understandable.
How can that possibly be true? we -ordinary mortals - have known about the "all nude cover" since January. How can Keira and Scarleet not know about the same? :innocent:

MarryMeTomFord said:
How can that possibly be true? we -ordinary mortals - have known about the "all nude cover" since January. How can Keira and Scarleet not know about the same? :innocent:

They did the shoot in January! :lol:

Ford

WillyNilly said:
From Salon.com (Part 1:(
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Topless bodies found in brainless magazine

"Ford is not celebrating the female form: He's hacking it apart and selling off the parts to male stars in need of girl-flesh to gussy up their own boring images."

"Sienna Miller looks like if you did her wrong she might pop another Klonopin and doze off."

"Zooey Deschanel, dubbed "The Living Doll" and dressed in lacy tights with legs in the air for a particularly twisted piece of cheesecake; it looks as if she's been kidnapped and stuffed in the back of the car, awaiting assault."

"Ford pictures Reese Witherspoon, Oscar nominee and mother of two, in a baby-doll dress, clutching a dolly."

"Ford presents femininity as passive, plastic. These are mannequins, their energy extinguished, or at least temporarily bronzed, like Portman. http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/02/14/tom_ford/

[/FONT]

Horrific. Completely horrific. I can't believe I bought this. Ford is of the rare breed of awful woman hating homosexuals. He should be chased out of Hollywood the home of... err... woman hating misogynists. Thank goodness for salon.com.

But it is right that "The only great image of a woman is of Michelle Yeoh, pulling herself up on a trapeze in an evening gown." You can't control such a graceful, powerful woman like Michelle.

Last edited by a moderator:
MarryMeTomFord said:
Tom what are you doing in this photo:lol: . love his expression though(gay or not who cares)..just wish it were *me* he were doing that to:P
BTW, she's SEVENTY FIVE! :shock: give me the number to HER plastic surgeon:lol:

I'm sorry -I've been amused by your idol worship till now but this isn't funny. Can't you see how misogynistic this man is? His favourite model was always Georgina Grenville -that delicate blonde thing. Wonder why.

I am now remembering that comment about how he found women disgusting to sleep with because he couldn't imagine sleeping with something with such thin wrists. He wanted something as powerful as himself. Seems that doesn't apply outside the bedroom. What an ego trip his sexual life must be. And to think he used to look so 'it' in those beautiful 70s shots with Eric Boman.

Faith Akiyama said:
They did the shoot in January! :lol:
:o
Still the point is it was talked about a lot before and besides it was with Tom Ford. what else did they expect - that he would drape them in saris? :lol:

SiennaInLondon said:
I'm sorry -I've been amused by your idol worship till now but this isn't funny. Can't you see how misogynistic this man is? His favourite model was always Georgina Grenville -that delicate blonde thing. Wonder why.

I am now remembering that comment about how he found women disgusting to sleep with because he couldn't imagine sleeping with something with such thin wrists. He wanted something as powerful as himself. Seems that doesn't apply outside the bedroom. What an ego trip his sexual life must be. And to think he used to look so 'it' in those beautiful 70s shots with Eric Boman.
how is he being miso? i love the cover, but yeah i wish if he did get those two naked, atleast he should do the same too . But isnt female exposure much more in general in society, in music, films etc? He isnt the only one doing it. And how does objectifying women amount to misogyny? (not just asking or objecting to your statemnt coz i love TF. Seriously asking *how*:flower: ) I think that just makes him the typical male(pig). Or are you saying that all men who enjoy such images hate women? Also, in blaming everything on the men, you seem to let teh women who wilfully expose themselfves go scot free. are they little angels? noone forced anyone to do anything they werent comfortable with. there were societal pressures they may ahve succumbed to that made them do it, but you can hardly blame TF for that

I have no idea about Georgina. have seen her and heard that TF likes her... why exactly ....? :unsure:
and that commnet about women's wrists - he said "he did not *prefer* to sleep with women becoz their wrists are too thin and they are too delicate". what else do you expect a gay guy to say? :unsure: :(
ohh and who is Eric Boman and do yu have any pictures?

I can't believe the issue... it's just so sexist, through and through.. it makes me want to cry.

oolie coco said:
I can't believe the issue... it's just so sexist, through and through.. it makes me want to cry.
i may be inclined to agree with you coco.
sexist is still different from misogynist - at least Mr Webster thinks so:flower:

What? To me, the issue sexist and misogynist....

mi·sog·y·ny
n.
Hatred of women:

- dictionary.com

What so many feminists want to work toward is the day when women are not treasured firstly for our looks (in the way that men are treasured firstly for their brains). What so many of these Hollywood starlets are perpetuating is the playing-dumb "faux innocent" story of "Hey, we're just sexy and young and using our beautiful bodies as art.... Nothing wrong with being sexy or selling sex."

there's nothing wrong with being SEXY but there is something extremely wrong when you ask 90% of women in a magazine to pose nude or laid across a car with a dead look in your eye and 10% of men in the SAME MAGAZINE to pose without clothing (because you're the "sexy black man" or the "hot stud" of the moment or whatever).

To see women as useful PURELY because of their youth and beauty is exactly what so many of us feminists are working against....it's exactly what makes my skin crawl.. exactly what makes me so angry... and this magazine basically takes that theme and vomits it all over us.

it is HATRED of women (not malicious, maybe, but underlying, subconscious HATRED nonetheless) to believe that women should only be SEEN and not heard. Or at least SEEN FIRST and heard later.. to use their BODIES as pieces of art in a way that gives them no autonomy or strength or choice.....

A man posed fully clothed with two naked women gives the impression that this man doesn't HAVE to get naked; he simply wears what he wants and the women are his artful playthings that hang off of him..... get naked for him.... while he watches.

To show George Clooney fully clothed directing a bunch of half naked women gives the impression that the MAN is in control, the women are simply his OBJECTS to manipulate.

Why are 90% of the men in this magazine fully clothed? Because they are being treasured for their acting technique, their "intelligence", their broodiness, their PERSONALITY !

For christ's sake, even Patricia Clarkson's nipples are on full display!!!!!!!!!

@coco, i totally agree with you..but somehow "hatred" seems a bit too far for what Tf has/is doing.:unsure: i mean when i hate someone i wanna hurt them, kill them, you know what i mean:unsure: . i think its more the chauvinistic male pig thing with TF

And that is OK is it? The chauvinistic male pig thing?

The thing that:
-Means women are treated harshly after having children in top companies
-Means that the general concept of women's sexuality in society is widely accepted as submission.
-Means that female children develop bizarre concepts of what it is to be normal.

etc etc

Despite his inability to design anything decent, it is wise to remember that Tom Ford is a powerful, influential man. The longer men like these keep getting away with things like that Vanity Fair spread, the longer you'll see women being compromised against their deepest wishes on the covers of pretty awful magazines. This is the WESTERN world for God sake. Aren't we past this?

MarryMeTomFord said:
how is he being miso? i love the cover, but yeah i wish if he did get those two naked, atleast he should do the same too .

Oh dear. I think you slightly missed the point here! I am glad we didn't get a hairy Tom Ford on the covers thankyou.

MarryMeTomFord said:
And how does objectifying women amount to misogyny? (not just asking or objecting to your statemnt coz i love TF. Seriously asking *how*:flower: )

How does objectifying women amount to misogyny? How can I answer that question. In fact how can you ask it? Objectifying women practically defines misogyny just as objectifying men practically defines misandry.

MarryMeTomFord said:
I think that just makes him the typical male(pig). Or are you saying that all men who enjoy such images hate women?

Typical?! I certainly hope that this isn't typical of the men around you for your sake. Men aren't for the most part like this, just like people for the most part are good! Usually it is establishments that are misogynist but when powerful individuals are, that is almost as dangerous. I certainly was not saying that men who enjoy sych images hate women... but as salon says Ford doesn't 'enjoy' the images. It makes one wonder why he created them. Power is the first assumtion.

MarryMeTomFord said:
Also, in blaming everything on the men, you seem to let teh women who wilfully expose themselfves go scot free. are they little angels? noone forced anyone to do anything they werent comfortable with.

Not at all. I blame women who give into sexist expectations as much. But how can you see these women weren't forced into doing anything they weren't comfortable with? How do you know how many actresses have been cajoled into Maxim shoots because it would increase their fanbase.

SiennaInLondon said:
Not at all. I blame women who give into sexist expectations as much. But how can you see these women weren't forced into doing anything they weren't comfortable with? How do you know how many actresses have been cajoled into Maxim shoots because it would increase their fanbase.
Oh please!
80% of the females in Hollywood are ready to take their clothes off is that can advance their career. And 80% of them did.
I don't care what is the reason. You always have the choice to keep your dignity and clothes on and say no.
None of the women in this issue did.
There was to be another actress on the cover. Forgot her name but she is in no way A-list. A Vanity Fair cover would have meant so much for her career, yet she said NO. NO, period.
I am in no way disputing your point that this issue sends a sick message (yet not a shocking once since it's just a reflection of our society), but I am not letting you tear TF apart, this is not a fair trial: 'Bad Tom Ford, Bad Women Hater'.
If he can get so much successful women to pose like barbies or playmates, cut female bushes in the shape of a G, and do so much sexist/misogynistic comments, ad campaigns, etc and yet, remain loved by so much women, having so much women buying and still sporting his clothes, be a Society darling, having six pages dedicated to him in a magazines like W (W like in Woman) etc, that means one thing to me:
the biggest misogynists in the world are women themselves.

And TF is not going to change simply because women are not asking him to change. Or at least none of the women in this issue did.

Marry Me Tom Ford, you're scaring me. Can't you see this man is a....everything said here? The guy is a money-screwing, egotistical pig whose VF issue is a disgrace. ...I don't understand what is so great about him? He reminds me of Christian Bale's women-killing jealous maniac in American Psycho. Someone's screwed here.

While the women were pressured into doing this, they should've known better and stood up for themselves, as Rachel McAdams did. Kudos to her.

Thank god Michelle Yeoh was in there, she kept her clothes on and showed an image of a strong, powerful woman.

Hopefully next year their Hollywood Issue won't have a "guest editor" (as if Ford actually did it) or will have someone with enough class to direct things well. I think Quentin Tarantino would be great to guest edit: The women would be potrayed as powerful and strong and not in skimpy-outfits, Quentin's not that kind of guy. I think it would be fun to see him do that.

if anyone wants to know about other stuff in the issue, here's my review:

368 pgs in all

New, Notable Ads:
DKNY (foldout cover) - 4 pgs
Dior - 2 pgs
Giorgio Armani (Men) - 2 pgs
Saks Fifth Avenue - 2 pgs
Gucci - 4 pgs
St. John - 4 pgs
Louis Vuitton - 4 pgs
J'adore Dior (Charlize Theron) - 2 pgs
Yves Saint Laurent - 2 pgs
Burberry - 2 pgs
Bottega Veneta - 2 pgs
Ralph Lauren - 3 pgs
Prada - 2 pgs
Michael Michael Kors - 3 pgs
Versace - 2 pgs
Tod's - 2 pgs
Calvin Klein Jeans - 8 pgs
MaxMara - 2 pgs
BCBG Max Azria - 2 pgs
Boss Hugo Boss - 4 pgs
Ports 1961 - 4 pgs
Dooney & Bourke - 1 pg
Max Studio - 2 pgs
Tommy Hilfiger - 3 pgs
Banana Republic (Men) - 4 pgs
Burberry London Fragrance - 2 pgs
Hermes - 5 pgs
Dolce & Gabbana - 4 pgs
Salvatore Ferragamo - 4 pgs
Daniel Swarovski - 1 pg
John Varvatos - 2 pgs
Elie Tahari - 2 pgs
Oscar de la Renta - 2 pgs
Dior (Homme) - 2 pgs
Nicole Farhi - 2 pgs
Baby Phat - 2 pgs
Lord & Taylor - 4 pgs
DKNY Red Delicious Fragrance - 1 pg
Youth Dew Amber Nude - 2 pgs (with sample)
Fendi - 3 pgs
Cole Haan - 2 pgs
Chloe - 4 pgs
Jimmy Choo - 1 pg
Lacoste - 2 pgs
Jil Sander - 1 pg
Guess - 4 pgs
Tom Ford Eyewear - 1 pg
Brooks Brothers - 4 pgs
TSE - 4 pgs
Diesel - 1 pg
Donna Karan - 3 pgs