US Vogue August 2024 : Jill Biden by Norman Jean Roy

I feel like Vogue has such a low cultural cachet these days versus what the average tFS user (and Anna lbr) thinks it has... that this cover won't be much in the grand scheme of anything.

I’m mixed on this. No print magazine cover means what it once did, that’s for certain. At the same time, people care about this, people are reacting. People I know who’ve never read an issue of this magazine in their life have an opinion. Huge engagement on social media and likely in the press about this. If she got the cover of Elle, HB, Vanity Fair, etc no one would have such reactions. People are pressed to this day about Melania not getting a Vogue cover during her tenure as First Lady - no one and I mean no one is butthurt about her not getting a HB or Elle cover, that’s for certain.

I feel like Vogue has such a low cultural cachet these days versus what the average tFS user (and Anna lbr) thinks it has... that this cover won't be much in the grand scheme of anything.
Of course you have a point here. The power of Vogue has faded a very long time ago. Only the very old guard of top dogs still think otherwise. And they try everything with all their last power to stay relevant - even it's obvious that most people just don't care anymore what they do or say or print. US Vogue during the Wintour era had always a very akward approach dealing with political or social issues: too driven by a personal agenda , very one dimensional, very cheesy and even amateur sometimes imo.

One more thing: Can you elaborate what in your opinion is the average TFS user? Because i have no clue about this. I really don't want to be thrown into the same bucket like some of the powerposting people here that only wait to make a counter attack as a rule and to their enjoyment after two seconds if the read a comment that might differ from their opinion.... lol

Why not wait a while and reflect a bit?

I like how witty and quick you are as you wrote already mutliple comments here in this thread in less than 24 hours (same for me now...lol), it still shows that we have a opinion about this cover and why it was published just now. Maybe we are just wasting our precious time to comment on something that is a lost cause anyway.

@FiLReD Well, I'm not going to wait to comment, because... I'm here now? By average tFSer (in the Magazine forums) I just mean... someone who still enjoys the dying art of fashion magazines. That's it. We might impart more importance on them than there actually is amongst people who aren't looking at magazines online. I don't know a single person other than myself who cares about fashion magazines and who's on the cover of them, in my daily life. I went through a period of like 4 or 5 years where I didn't notice a damn fashion magazine (or any magazine), until I got sucked into them again. If you're not interested in them, they're very easy to ignore. Even when you are online and on social media.

anna wintour is a politician, im sure political office is the only thing she would leave the magazine before death for, and she has gone above and beyond to support this administration-- this cover seems poorly timed or very well timed, i dont know.. the blazer dress is odd to me, but her hair/makeup + the photography is nice enough.. i think 2 vogue covers per administration is enough, show us fashion pls

As my former post here was deleted, let's talk fashion only.. lol

Is it just pure coincidence that Robin Wright aka Claire Underwood wore the same white Ralph Lauren tuxedo suit ten months ago?? Is there something we should know? I am intrigued and confused.

01JILL-BIDEN-VOGUE1-bfcv-superJumbo.jpg Kopie.jpgrobin-wright-ralph-lauren-ready-to-wear-fashion-show-in-brooklyn-09-08-2023-3_thumbnail.jpg
Celebmafia / Vogue

@FiLReD Well, I'm not going to wait to comment, because... I'm here now? By average tFSer (in the Magazine forums) I just mean... someone who still enjoys the dying art of fashion magazines. That's it. We might impart more importance on them than there actually is amongst people who aren't looking at magazines online. I don't know a single person other than myself who cares about fashion magazines and who's on the cover of them, in my daily life. I went through a period of like 4 or 5 years where I didn't notice a damn fashion magazine (or any magazine), until I got sucked into them again. If you're not interested in them, they're very easy to ignore. Even when you are online and on social media.
I used to be obsessed with magazines and would spend time scrolling through them at duty free, Giant and anywhere else that I would find them. Whenever I visited NY i would make a trip to that famous magazine store but nowadays I scroll through during checkout and theres really nothing just generic content.

My lingering obsession with magazines is borne of old habit rather than reward.

I noticed an tfs thread from 2009 asking, "What do you do with your magazines?", where I said: "I find that once you cut them up - or start filing the contents away in folders - you need hours of free time to organise and maintain that collection; it's much easier to keep them intact."

In 2024, I'm lucky to find one page worth retaining in any issue, never mind keeping the entire thing.

US Vogue during the Wintour era had always a very akward approach dealing with political or social issues: too driven by a personal agenda , very one dimensional, very cheesy and even amateur sometimes imo.
This, all the time, and it is so blatant. I was hoping she would grow with age, but she has not.

A good content for August when their cover story focuses on politics and their number of pages don't surpass 100? Hmm...

They really blemished her skin on that cover to the point that she looks unrecognizable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericsalodesign
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->