US Vogue August 2024 : Jill Biden by Norman Jean Roy

The Chanel one is like a fashion editorial from Red magazine - which never gets featured much at tfs, despite the editorials often having models you haven't seen for ages, like Yfke and Georgina Grenville. Probably because the shoots were lower-budget, bland, safe, nice.
Some of the fashion editorials in Red are really good. They may be low-budget or not but they are well executed, styled, and pretty lenghty.

I wouldn't criticise Red for being Red, there'll be reasons why it's still in print when so many others titles have left the newsstand.

But do I need to buy Vogue if it's doing what Red does? Is reaching the level of Red an achievement for Vogue?

I suppose it would be, given that Red still manages to be a monthly publication.

There's another ed starring Grace Burns (Christy's daughter) shot by Grace Ahlbom. The ed is also in Vogue Italia July issue.

michelle was more of a fashion plate / more interesting

jill biden is 73 yrs old
Agree on Michelle- full force, we were lucky.
Regardless of age, Jill's a First Lady.
And we know they aren't plucking new faces fresh from the catwalk for that job.

^yeah there's a huge gap in style between ages 45 and 73 but Michelle also came across as more into fashion/open to it. Which might also just be an age thing too!

A cover per term seems fitting. Remember Michelle Obama had 3 Vogue covers spread over 2 terms as First Lady.

I think, for an American Edition, representation of the current sitting president and first lady are the most important thing to capture. Regardless of what your politics are, it's history. I would even be understanding of 2 covers per VP or First Lady per team, to total 4 covers for 2 terms. Michelle had such a high style profile, so that worked well. Jill is more of a serious figure, I don't see her aligned as an iconic style type of First Lady. With that said, the cover is that much more effective in its clean, American styling. Again, love this cover for her. It's pure.
This is true but they made a point of not featuring Melania even though every First Lady had a cover or editorial. They even gave the president of Ukraine and his wife a cover but not our own former First Lady.

Some thoughts -

While Vanity Fair has always had an axe to grind with him, thanks to Graydon Carter's personal dislike of the man, Trump has not always been persona non grata at US Vogue.

Melania, in her capacity as Trump's bride, got a US Vogue cover, but Melania, in her later capacity as First Lady, did not.

Not every society bride ended up on the cover, so successful negotiations of some sort between Wintour and Trump went on to make that happen.

Who, amongst the Republican First Ladies, did get Conde Nast magazine coverage in their time and thereafter? Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, Laura Welch? Nancy was more of a fashion plate, as they say, and also more of a social fixture. Along with her husband, she appeared on various positive-seeming Vanity Fair covers, and Vogue is still happy to run articles about her style today. And Vogue has featured a Bush (grand)daughter's wedding on their pages.

We all know Vogue leans a certain way - but it's not always as clear-cut as Conde Nast promoting Democrat or Republican to the absolute exclusion of the other, or personally disliking someone - when once they were certainly good enough to appear on the cover.

This is true but they made a point of not featuring Melania even though every First Lady had a cover or editorial. They even gave the president of Ukraine and his wife a cover but not our own former First Lady.
Technically, Melana already got her cover as a bride in Galliano Couture prior to her being a First Lady.
I won't go further than to honor rules of TSF.

Melania really deserves the cover. She didn’t miss once. Not once. Her african tour was amazing. Streep from “Out of Africa”. And she is beautiful woman that really loves and plays with the fashion.

Michelle Obama on another hand never had style not even with tons of stylists. Jill Biden I won’t even bother to comment.

Anna is wrong with Melania and she knows it. Usually I am all team Anna, but here I am team Melania all the way.

Small scoup… Maybe Vogue Adria will pissed off Anna… just saying!!! 🤭🤭🤭

After all Adria (Croatia, Serbia & Slovenia) market includes Slovenia and guess who is Slovenian.
☺️

^I was just thinking that! September cover is due in just over a week so at least this won't be egg on the face for Vogue for that much longer (tbf they could not have predicted the events of the last month).

Vanity Fair is also going to be hanging around the newsstand for a while yet, with its coverline about "The not-totally-hopeless plan to reelect Joe Biden".

Given how quickly Conde Nast seemed to mobilise for this Vogue cover, I wonder if we can expect them to put Kamala on the September or October cover.

I think how quickly the cover became outdated makes it, oddly, a better cover 🤣 it’ll be a memorable “quirk of history” cover.
yeah, kind of like the year the Oscars announced the wrong Best Picture winner and then the other year where Will Smith punched Chris Rock at the Oscars. Embarrassing for the 'official' side, sure, but a bit of a 'you had to be there' moment?

Too bad Sha'Carri didn't get the main cover (you should learn, Anna). Her editorial wasn't the best, but in terms of relevance it would've been much more assertive. Wondering now if they plan to put Kamala on the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denncr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->