V Magazine #116 Winter 2018 : Lily-Rose Depp by Luke Gilford

Review: 114 Pages

Definitely on the slim side for a quarterly, indie lol, magazine. These sort of magazines generally average around a 260page count. The fault definitely lies with the lack of ads. Gucci may have taken out a whopping 10 pages in this issue, but everything else really pales. Even Chanel, who heavily featured their clothing, makeup and jewellery lines on their spokesperson only took out 4 pages. There's not much in the way of underrated brands like Mugler, Kane or Paco Rabanne, who's going on a spending spree to establish their new direction. The team at V could actually do way better because their magazine isn't excessively youth culture-oriented like Dazed etc.

Gan has many faults, but he really is an above average magazine editor. The front section, as usual, had enough to keep me entertained. V's top 10 emerging designers for 2018, new breed of actresses, some chatter from Andre Leon Talley and Paris Hilton about the backstory to parties which they've attended, girl groups of 2018, along with a short edit on Rami Malek who I don't care for.

As mentioned before, Lily was interviewed by Kristen Stewart, and it's just about as insufferable as it sounds. Kristen and her new try-hard isms really sort of taints what could've been a halfway decent interview. V's team must've transcribed it word for word because towards the end of the interview once can sense that Lily starts sounding and using the same vocab as Kristen.
The editorial is very neat, simple pastel-coloured styling, and the focus is always on her. Even though Pamela is part of her edit, there's no real mention made as to why exactly. Other than one single quote which Pamela made about Lily. Basically she's almost used as a cameo?
Curves Ahead is exactly as the title suggests, a fuller figure fashion edit. And when you think fuller figure models nowadays only two names come up - Ashley Graham and Paloma Elsesser. Exactly who got the edit. In a way I could understand it because Ashley has been championed by this magazine from the start, and beauty notes throughout the edit suggest that Revlon may have funded it in some capacity. But it's time to look to newer faces now. These two are officially token models now.
However predictable the casting, I simply couldn't fault the edit. It's a bit brazen and unapologetic in the way their curves are displayed, but as a whole, quite a solid story. Was quite amazed to find it was shot by Cass Bird. Couldnt resist running my eyes over the clothing credits and it seems the key pieces, meaning the ones actually geared for fuller figure women are some floral dresses from Balenciaga, a Burberry trench, ASOS denim, Norma Kamali coats, and catsuits and trousers from lesser brands. Because despite however much magazines would like us to believe that the shape revolution is upon us, fashion brands seem intent to stick to the norm. Either that or the stylist was just lazy. I did for instance wonder where Eckhaus Latta was, or Kors, brands who consistently cast Asley and Poloma for their runway shows.
Women in Love is your classic V editorial. Othilia and another model in a sexualised setting with loads of black evening looks, and the entire thing shot in black & white. Like the kind of thing one would expect from Klein. Nothing to hate there as well because the execution was perfect.
For all the VS fans, there's Glamorama, featuring Joan which opens a double page, Candice, Barbi Palvin, Irina, Grace Elizabeth (obviously, her being V's pet), Winnie and Natasha. It's very pin-up and looks like something styled by Carine. Shot by Colls, who seems to be getting better and better with these big cast edits. I expected more from Natasha and Grace, but it seems Winnie got the strongest shot of the lot, imo.
Cruise in Place is the last edit which didnt appeal to me AT ALL. It's the kind of dim-lit, oversaturated stuff we get by the bucket full from Babeth each month.

Women in Love

Photographer: Chris Colls
Stylist: Sarajane Hoare
Hair: Laurent Philippon
Makeup: Stephane Marais
Cast: Othilia Simon, Alexandra Agoston

V Magazine Digital Edition

Lily Rose

Photographer: Luke Gilford
Stylist: Dogukan Nesanir
Hair: Teddy Charles
Makeup: Katie Lee
Cast: Lily Rose Depp, Pamela Anderson

Curves Ahead

Photographer: Cass Bird
Stylist: Stella Greenspan
Hair: Ward
Makeup: Romy Soleimani
Cast: Ashley Graham, Paloma Elsesser

Glamorama

Photographer: Carin Backoff (apologies!! My review stated it was shot by Colls)
Stylist: Anne Trevelyan
Hair: Teddy Charles
Makeup: Hung Vanngo
Manicure: Eishi Matsunaga
Cast: Joan Smalls, Candice Swanepoel, Barbara Palvin, Irina Shayk, Grace Elizabeth, Winnie Harlow, Natasha Poly

Cruise in Place

Photographer: Tim Richardson
Stylist: Michelle Cameron
Hair: Andrea Martinelli/Joey George
Makeup: Miki Matsunaga/Yuki Hayashi
Manicure: Jenny Longworth
Cast: Felice Kolibius, Mariana Zaragoza, Julee Huang, Demi De Vries, Ling Liu, Mona Matsuoka, Nisaa Pouncey, Kennah Lau

I love the cover. She reminds me of Magdalena Frackowiak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->