Vanity Fair April 2019 : Beto O'Rourke by Annie Leibovitz

It just doesn't look like VF anymore, i mean sure they had political figures on covers, but there was always something that pulled you in with Carter & Brown. But this? So unappeling, and that text, god you are not Newsweek!!

Looks more like the opening to a long editorial feature. I can see and even appreciate what they tried to go for here, and even that's still rooted in Graydon's VF, but it's forgettable.
Will strike up lots of talking points though.

Has VF ever backed a political candidate in such a splashy way? I certainly don't recall. They normally wait until they've won, surely.

Wow, the same day of Beto's announcement. This is one ballsy move. It's still a very forgettable cover though I 'm sure it will be very present in the public conversation.

Wow, so sad to see they totally abandoned the new direction the new editor in chief started a year ago.

There it is. The new direction was officially abandoned.

To be clear, Beto is just joining the race to snag a VP nomination. There’s no way in hell he actually believe he can win the Presidency. If you can’t win your state, you’re doomed from the beginning.

To be clear, Beto is just joining the race to snag a VP nomination. There’s no way in hell he actually believe he can win the Presidency. If you can’t win your state, you’re doomed from the beginning.

Thanks for clearing it up! Is he famous, or from a famous family? It's just a bit odd that he's getting such a big cover purely for that.

And if he only announced today it must mean that VF has been working on this story for some time and that he shared the news with them first. Almost like a celebrity announcing film release (apparently the Avengers trailer dropped earlier, just in time for Scarlett's Vogue cover.)

It's just such an out of the ordinary move in politics.....

Thanks for clearing it up! Is he famous, or from a famous family? It's just a bit odd that he's getting such a big cover purely for that.

And if he only announced today it must mean that VF has been working on this story for some time and that he shared the news with them first. Almost like a celebrity announcing film release (apparently the Avengers trailer dropped earlier, just in time for Scarlett's Vogue cover.)

It's just such an out of the ordinary move in politics.....

He almost unseated the incumbent Republican in a deep red state (Texas). 50% to 48% if I remember correctly. Not much if you’ll look at it, but the margin has always been +10%. So he still achieved a big feat if you ask me. Shows that with the right candidate, you can turn any state.

This being said, is that enough to win the Presidency? And I agree, this is an out of the ordinary move in politics, therefore furthering my theory that he’s only doing this to gain public traction and possibly snag a VP nomination, or if we’re in luck, a cabinet position.

TFS rules about discussing politics in relation to a magazine that consistently covers politics is the reason why I don't say much about Vanity Fair on the forum these days, despite being a subscriber and having access to all its content.

TFS rules about discussing politics in relation to a magazine that consistently covers politics is the reason why I don't say much about Vanity Fair on the forum these days, despite being a subscriber and having access to all its content.

In this specific instance, and with the cover subject in mind, it's almost impossible to have comments centre only around the landscape or whatever else.

I'm more intrigued by the machinations behind this cover. The 'Everyday Joe' vibe, which must've been underscored when this shoot was discussed. Very interesting.

yes :heart:

make america hot again.

(sorry we can't talk politics and my coffee hasn't kicked in, this is my best effort- arrivederci)

Nooo! Do you....? I don't see it, and I looked thrice.
Come to the UK (not London!), you'll be in 'boy next door' heaven.

Although maybe I should take what you say with a grain of salt. You did publicly admit you'd be up to see the Trump pi$$ tape.....:blink:

This is a great cover, and I'm not even a fan of Annie L.
Mark my words, Beto will be the next POTUS.
I'm ready to start canvassing for him now.:heart:

Nooo! Do you....? I don't see it, and I looked thrice.
Come to the UK (not London!), you'll be in 'boy next door' heaven.

Although maybe I should take what you say with a grain of salt. You did publicly admit you'd be up to see the Trump pi$$ tape.....:blink:
wha..?! :rofl: (did I? ew, maybe I would just to know it's stored in my eyes and nobody can make me unsee it?.. it's never going to come out anyway..).

He's so not next door. Was Jeff Buckley next door?. I feel like London does not quite live up to that standard but Berlin and New York certainly do.

Sorry to drag this thread! but yeah, great ideas, yes to the desert, the dog, great shot, Annie!

wha..?! :rofl: (did I? ew, maybe I would just to know it's stored in my eyes and nobody can make me unsee it?.. it's never going to come out anyway..).

He's so not next door. Was Jeff Buckley next door?. I feel like London does not quite live up to that standard but Berlin and New York certainly do.

Sorry to drag this thread! but yeah, great ideas, yes to the desert, the dog, great shot, Annie!

Of course you did, lol. Receipt available on demand.

I cackled at that mugshot-looking poster (?) of a Dawson's Creek hopeful whose career never quite took off, and the pink tween-ish animation. As if it was fished out of a fifth grader's scrapbook. Love it! Lol

a Dawson's Creek hopeful whose career never quite took off
Exactly lol, or like he used to work at Blockbuster, went to castings all of his 20s and defaulted to DJing every other year. And then you get back to present time, 2019, and it's like wow, running for President and on the cover of this thing, not bad, go him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->