Vanity Fair March 2021 : Billie Eilish by Quil Lemons

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Marc10, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

2. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

If she does not reinvent this look, this will get tired real soon.

Nomar, SophiaVB, TaylorBinque and 5 others like this.
  3. JPineapple

JPineapple Well-Known Member

I loooove the color palette! Is a very strong cover

dodencebt likes this.
  4. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

I feel like this is tiresome already... time to move on, too many covers that look the same.

5. avonlea002

avonlea002 Well-Known Member

6. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Feels a year or two late.

Handbag Queen and vogue28 like this.
  7. DK92

DK92 Well-Known Member

Boring like her songs!

8. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

Its alright, her look is kind of getting stale at this point, but I'm not gonna complain too much about a competent cover.

9. phungnam96

phungnam96 Well-Known Member

Pop Icon? I’m pretty sure people will forget her name in 10 years.

Conbothsides and Handbag Queen like this.
  10. GERGIN

GERGIN Well-Known Member

11. THD96

THD96 Well-Known Member

She need to switch it up or her fan gonna grow up and leave her behind.

Handbag Queen likes this.
  12. aracic

aracic Moderator

Pop icon. Okay lol

I just hate the nails, wouldn't mind it much if it wasn't for them. They look so nasty and distracting!

Handbag Queen and Benn98 like this.
  13. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

I like the cover and I think many here are seriously underestimating her appeal/fame/potential for career longevity. For a whole generation, she is very much a pop icon.

JPineapple likes this.
  14. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

For like, 10 years at least. So tired of this girl and her annoying base.

I don't know why she doesn't just go the Zendaya route and get her own stylists to style these covers. It's modeled after her personal style anyway. This is not a reflection of Gabriella KJ's styling abilities.

And anyway, I'm with the others who feel this cover is too late when considering it's VF they should've been ahead of the pack.

15. aracic

aracic Moderator

If we don't count her EPs, she has released one single album so far. I don't underestimate her appeal, fame or potential - in fact I'm very much looking forward to her future in music industry! I love her music and I like her personality, but she's no icon yet. She's very popular, sure, but so are many other pop girlies! I personally don't think she's reached icon status yet, but wouldn't be surprised if she did in the future. She's interesting, she's appealing and I certainly hope she has the versatility as an artist to introduce us to a different era with each upcoming project like actual icons do.

JPineapple and Benn98 like this.
  16. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Watch how KateIsGr8 will come running into this thread, screaming at everyone that we're just a bunch of haters who don't know what we're talking about, lol

I agree, she's not an icon. That term is used far too freely nowadays. Kylie is an icon.

17. Mihail Mihailov

Mihail Mihailov Active Member

this looks like her Vogue cover, total trash,hate that neon, she told that her new era would be different,meaning the color...so let's hope this is last of her old looks,another pointless Vanity Fair cover,OMG..the new creativity is making me cry and thinking we we'll never get to see another stunning old vibes cover of Vanity,Vogue, Harper's and etc... we're totally doomed, that's why when i go back to this forum,1st thing is to open the Vintage Magazine thread thanks to @justaguy @aracic @Miss Dalloway and etc... so thank you again to you.

Handbag Queen and Miss Dalloway like this.
  18. Stallonation

Stallonation Member

this would be great if they did this 2 years ago
    now? it's so tired and repetitive, yawn just like her music

Handbag Queen likes this.
  19. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

Remember Lorde? she took a break and Billie came in (even her sound is similar imo) so pop icon is a bit much right now but magazines love to use those tags...

SophiaVB and Handbag Queen like this.
  20. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

Well, artists release music differently nowadays, so despite having only one full-length album, she also has numerous EPs and Singles that are huge hits, and I don't think they can fairly be excluded from the conversation. I don't think she can really be compared to most other pop girlies. Billie, at the age of 17, sold out a 42-city global arena tour immediately, won 5 Grammys for her debut album, had *20* songs on the Billboard Hot 100. I would say that's unprecedented success. Also, unlike so many pop girlies, Billie writes her own music.

So in addition to her quantifiable success, her style and her fierce rejection of the aggressively sexual image most pop stars assume and/or are forced into, have, I believe, made her kind of an instant icon to her generation. People here criticize her for not changing up her look, and I'll admit I don't actually like her look, but I think it's extremely savvy (and probably also authentic) because it makes her instantly identifiable to even those who don't know her music. Like, my 60 year old mother would recognize Billie immediately but couldn't name a Billie song. Ariana, who I think is probably the only other young pop girlie that I'd consider already iconic (actually, Miley too, though they're both significantly older than Billie), understood this too with her signature look and only now has she started to switch it up.

I agree, Kylie is an icon. And even I, as someone who is not particularly a Kylie fan, knowing she hasn't had a true hit in years and years, wouldn't try to take that away from her. Basically, to me, an icon is someone who is the/a ultimate representation of whatever field they're in. Fame comes and goes, but once you reach that status, you will always be iconic to the people who were aware of or a fan of you at your peak. So yes, to dusty old queens, Kylie is still very much an icon. I kid, I kid. But yes, Kylie is an icon because she was once at the pinnacle of pop. Britney Spears hasn't been a chart-topper in over a decade but she's an icon for people that were listening to pop music in the late 90s and early 2000s. Hell, even Beyonce is riding on the strength of her Icon status rather than the popularity of individual songs or albums these days. If you're a teenager or a young adult into pop music right now, I can't imagine Billie not being an icon to you. She's been dominating in pop music for years, her style and her voice are instantly recognizable, and it's not just your friends that know about this person, she, as a teenager, has already transcended teen stardom and entered into the zeitgeist - she's a household name. Her music and look is unique compared to the other major pop stars in the game, which I think is often a huge part of being an icon.

Also, I don't think Vanity Fair is late to the party with this. For one thing, they've been doing video interviews will Billie (the same interview, actually, conducted annually) for years now and they're always very popular. And Billie has a documentary coming out soon, and this cover is promoting that, specifically.

LMV, aracic and arabchic like this.