Vanity Fair November 2023 : Barbra Streisand by Richard Avedon

Radhika has entered her Graydon Carter era with this one. I almost find the old formula of choosing a decades-old photo of an iconic or deceased celebrity kind of charming at this point. It just feels authentic to the magazines identity.

The Instagram post clarified that the interview was conducted prior to the SAG-AFTRA strike. She’s promoting her own memoir, not a film, as far as I’m aware that would have nothing to do with the strike.

Beautiful portrait of her.
More proof that Avedon was better than everyone then, and now.

An actual legend of the entertainment industry on the cover of Vanity Fair.

As Harper's Bazaar would say "an icon." But a real one this time.

The Instagram post clarified that the interview was conducted prior to the SAG-AFTRA strike. She’s promoting her own memoir, not a film, as far as I’m aware that would have nothing to do with the strike.

I'm guessing that (obviously) Streisand is a member of SAG-AFTRA, so they're probably just putting that disclaimer there to be safe (or, in solidarity, whatever).

His photography truly stands the test of time, this is incredible. Perhaps someone ought to start a publication simply based on archival prints...

No print subscription copy yet, but the digital copy of the UK version is showing 114 pages.

The first ad is Chanel Coco Neige, then we’re straight into jewellery, watches and car adverts. There’s a multi-page Balenciaga campaign about halfway through the issue.

Lorraine Nicholson is the Vanities person, and like a lot of people appearing on this page, she’s connected to the industry, the surname is the clue.

There are mini-features about Shere Hite, Chief Justice John Roberts (Supreme Court), the LA property market, then we’re straight into BARBRA, with reprinted images aplenty from her life and work, with the entire section spanning pages 44 to 67.

There’s a typical Vanity Fair piece about a high society impersonator (Kyle de Rothschild Deschanel) followed by a profile of comic Atsuko Okatsuka, a piece about Covid, and an interview with Fab 5 Freddy / Fred Braithwaite. Back page Proust Questionnaire is Baz Luhrmann.

No doubt a slender issue, but Vanity Fair has interrupted their usual programming of people living in ivory towers talking about gritty issues for some proper old-style Hollywood content. I wouldn’t say I’m any sort of Barbra Streisand fan and I will be excited to sit down and read that part of this issue.

But I’m glad I’m a subscriber (for £12 a year) because I wouldn’t pay full price for it.

Last edited:

The Streisand Effect
Photo Richard Avedon
By Radhika Jones
Subject Barbra Streisand

vanity fair

The Way We Made THE WAY WE WERE
By Barbra Streisand

vanity fair

Obviously, coming from Richard Avedon, it's a sublime portrait of Barbra Streisand but there is part of me that wishes Vanity Fair had bothered to commission a fresh shoot. I still fawn over the time W Magazine reunited Streisand with Meisel back in 2016.

The photograph of Streisand's profile, the opening shot to the cover feature is SPECTACULAR! :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REN1099
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->