Vanity Fair October 2013 Special 100th Anniversary : Kate Upton by Annie Leibovitz

This Marilyn Monroe reference actually makes sense. She is officially iconic.

This is so beautiful!
I actualy dont see Marilyn but straight up pin up.
I really like the idea of the cover being a celebration instead of an actual cover story, it makes it more special.

dont really care that much about the cover than i do the interview ... will she have anything remotely interesting to say?

I love it - IMO she looks more like a blonde Suzy Parker with huge breasts than Marilyn Monroe. It's an arresting image. I'm glad VF's nostalgia found a new outlet - getting a truly remarkable model - who has made it despite ALL odds - embody the zeitgeist of a by-gone era that I'm sure a lot of us wonder what it was like...well, at least the pin-up gorgeous aspect of the 50s is something I'd like to find out more about :smile:

I really wish they'd have done something about that bodysuit/swimsuit/whatever it is... could they have maybe bought a larger size and just tailored it to the rest of her? Cause that bust area looks really ill fitting and wonky.

Also, she looks like a blow up doll.

I'm not a fan of Kate but she looks nice here. Probably her best cover so far.

That cover doesn't hit the mark.
I don't know why they keep giving Leibovitz work.
Her portraits are as captivating as cardboard.
They could have done a full on Alberto Vargas reference with this,
but I guess that would be more apropos to Esquire.

"Christ alive, I love it!" was my first thought... then by the second look, I started to see all these little things about it.

But still, never mind the boobs, would you look at that vintage masthead! That's what really brings the cover together for me, because it reminds me of the glory days when the magazine was able to make a big statement, in terms of who would score the front of each issue.

The quote, Kate Upton as Marilyn? Groundbreaking! Isn't a very groundbreaking comment either. And as someone already stated, I think the idea was pin up not necessarily Marilyn.

Reading is hard. :rolleyes:
Qe5jxiT.png

The article clearly states the inspiration behind the cover, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Marilyn. Next time don't skim, actually read.

Inside the issue, Leibovitz photographs Upton lounging on the moon, mimicking the illustration on the original cover of Dress & Vanity Fair from October 1, 1913

Last edited by a moderator:
Cover looks amazing and she looks wonderful.

One thing that often bothers me is how stylists work with the clothes she gets to wear... it's like they're so confused or too excited or who knows that they tend to either go for a size down so she looks more voluptuous (and too tight and uncomfortable), or, like in this case, they make sure either butt or waist fit right and leave the rest as it is instead of adjusting it at least with a clip from behind... so it looks ill-fitting, and uncomfortable. I don't know who styled this and what's his/her background but this is actually the kind of issue that does make Esquire and GQ look like quality schools when it comes to embracing "other" figures, at least they hire people that know what to do with it..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading is hard. :rolleyes:
Qe5jxiT.png

The article clearly states the inspiration behind the cover, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Marilyn. Next time don't skim, actually read.

I did read. I read the WWD article that was posted on the first page. :rolleyes:

It is all neatly tied up in a bow with a print cover featuring the bombshell of the moment, Kate Upton, shot by Annie Leibovitz in a Champagne-colored one-piece that channels Marilyn Monroe.

I'd say my assessment stands considering what Annie allegedly mimicked.
first-cover-vanity-fair.jpg

standard.co.uk

Love it. This cover is history. I really don't remember the last time there was a solo VF cover for a model. This just confirms her status as model of the year. No other "cover event" will be bigger than the ones she reached so far. First American Vogue, and now this; she landed the hardest covers to land for a model in a less than a year. I smell more campaigns coming.

I love it - IMO she looks more like a blonde Suzy Parker with huge breasts than Marilyn Monroe. It's an arresting image. I'm glad VF's nostalgia found a new outlet - getting a truly remarkable model - who has made it despite ALL odds - embody the zeitgeist of a by-gone era that I'm sure a lot of us wonder what it was like...well, at least the pin-up gorgeous aspect of the 50s is something I'd like to find out more about :smile:

Apparently I can't give you more karma, but I agree 100% with this!

I did kind of moan when I saw the title, but I think it's something that's a bit "different" (you know what I mean) and it's sort of refreshing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->